The Student Room Group

What is the biggest challenge that the Minister for HE Students has to overcome?

Last month TSR members were asked to submit questions about university to Yoosk who were then going to ask them to Government Ministers along with other questions from the Yoosk website.

The questions have now been asked and the video responses recorded with David Lammy (the Higher Education Minister) and Lord Young (the Minister for Higher Education Students).

Question from Daniel Williams:
What would you both say is your one biggest challenge you hope to overcome whilst you are holding your current position within the government?

You can find more questions and replies in the Have your say forum, click on the green threads.
I'd be interested to know how he intends to achieve this!
Reply 2
Do something to address the appalling drop-out rate (22%) among university students and the horrendous waste of taxpayers money and resources that results from it.
Reply 3
Howard
Do something to address the appalling drop-out rate (22%) among university students and the horrendous waste of taxpayers money and resources that results from it.

Stop encouraging people to uni who aren’t capable or un-suited via Mickey Mouse courses.
Renner
Stop encouraging people to uni who aren’t capable or un-suited via Mickey Mouse courses.

How does that address the problem that Howard brought up though as people drop out from all courses not just those labled 'micky mouse degrees'.
Reply 5
RK
How does that address the problem that Howard brought up though as people drop out from all courses not just those labled 'micky mouse degrees'.

True, but i suspect the drop out rate is higher. The main problem is people being pushed to go to uni who either can’t afford it, aren’t suited to it or simply aren’t capable. This is the governments, and there 50% in uni target, fault.
Renner
True, but i suspect the drop out rate is higher. The main problem is people being pushed to go to uni who either can’t afford it, aren’t suited to it or simply aren’t capable. This is the governments, and there 50% in uni target, fault.

But sure if these 'micky mouse' subjects are so much easier than other degrees then people wouldn't be failing them as much as others which are considered 'harder'?

And there's nothing wrong with the 50% target - so long as there are suitable types of courses and the support there for people. Not everyone needs a totally academic course. I'd support many more vocational 'degrees'. I'd also say that we do need to be careful with funding. Two things need to improve - educate of the less well off about what funding is available to them as many seem to be lacking in knowledge of the vast array of support they can get. Also we need to be careful that finacial support doesn't dry up too fast if your parents earn over a certain amount so as to make university unaffordable for these people. We just need to ensure that money is not a barrier for anyone wishing and able to study for a university level course (it would be nice to say it should all be free, but being realistic people should pay what they can afford to and no one should be any more forced out of education than the next person on the cost grounds alone.
Reply 7
RK
But sure if these 'micky mouse' subjects are so much easier than other degrees then people wouldn't be failing them as much as others which are considered 'harder'?

That's not necessarily true. I bet the dropout rate for PPE at Oxford is much lower than the dropout rate for media studies at Bolton. Harder courses attract much brighter students.

Anyway, 22% is the overall percent that drops out and it's been that way for the last 5 years. Some universities do much worse than that (I've already mentioned Bolton) and this must represent hundreds of millions in losses to the taxpayer each year. If I were HE Minister I'd be thinking about tackling this as my # 1 priority.
The Government must do something! Won't someone think of the children?!
Reply 9
A 22% dropout rate is certainly cause for concern. I never knew it was so high :eek:
Howard
That's not necessarily true. I bet the dropout rate for PPE at Oxford is much lower than the dropout rate for media studies at Bolton. Harder courses attract much brighter students.

Anyway, 22% is the overall percent that drops out and it's been that way for the last 5 years. Some universities do much worse than that (I've already mentioned Bolton) and this must represent hundreds of millions in losses to the taxpayer each year. If I were HE Minister I'd be thinking about tackling this as my # 1 priority.

I really don't see how dropping out is a waste of taxpayers money: you still have to pay the loan back even if you don't complete the course, so where is the money wasted?
Reply 11
screenager2004
I really don't see how dropping out is a waste of taxpayers money: you still have to pay the loan back even if you don't complete the course, so where is the money wasted?

It's not just the course fees is it dear?
Howard
It's not just the course fees is it dear?

What else is it?
Grapevine
A 22% dropout rate is certainly cause for concern. I never knew it was so high :eek:

For full time, first degree (ie not HND/foundation degree/diploma students) who are under 21 when starting their course the UK figure is 7.1% who are no longer in HE a year after starting their course (source)- and around a quarter of those students are back in HE a year later (ie they take a break and start again/go back to their course). The true "drop out" rate is actually around 5%.

Course if you start looking at mature, part time and HND students then the numbers go up to 10-15%.

The 22% is the proportion from Bolton who drop out OR transfer - it isn't the UK figure.

sources and more stats than you can shake a calculator at (the new lot of data is due out on Thursday :ninjagirl: )
PQ
For full time, first degree (ie not HND/foundation degree/diploma students) who are under 21 when starting their course the UK figure is 7.1% who are no longer in HE a year after starting their course (source)- and around a quarter of those students are back in HE a year later (ie they take a break and start again/go back to their course). The true "drop out" rate is actually around 5%.

Course if you start looking at mature, part time and HND students then the numbers go up to 10-15%.

The 22% is the proportion from Bolton who drop out OR transfer - it isn't the UK figure.

sources and more stats than you can shake a calculator at (the new lot of data is due out on Thursday :ninjagirl: )

Cheers for that info. My faith in British universities has now been restored.

Latest

Trending

Trending