The Student Room Group

university

what is university like ?
Reply 1
Original post by 21scope

That is an interesting question.

From my personal experience, I can tell you that university is completely different to school from almost all aspects. However, to give you a more detailed answer, would you please tell me what is your biggest concern?
Original post by Anonymous

From my personal experience, I can tell you that university is completely different to school from almost all aspects. However, to give you a more detailed answer, would you please tell me what is your biggest concern?

Yea sue
Original post by 21scope

Hi,

Your uni experience will be totally different to everyone else's - even people studying on your course! However, in a nutshell, my uni experience was very challenging, fun and exciting all at the same time.

The work is quite different from school and college as you do have to do a lot of independent study and it took me a bit of time to get used to. You are expected to research a lot of things yourself and you don't get as much 'hand holding' as you do in college. Once you are used to the difference in learning though it is quite rewarding as you can research what you're interested in and put your own spin on your work. I studied business management, so not sure if this would be applicable to other courses. It is all worth it especially when you graduate and land your first grad job :smile:

I also commuted to uni as I found this worked out better financially for me - I did miss out on the full living in halls experience but i did stay with my college friends who moved away for uni at their freshers events etc so I was able to get a taste of it. I would also say commuting experience didn't impact on me making friends. I made friends through my course and my part time job as well as studying in the library and chatting to other students in the gym etc. I went out a lot and had loads of fun - I would totally recommend going to uni!

I hope this helps!
T :smile:
Original post by Teesside University
Hi,

Your uni experience will be totally different to everyone else's - even people studying on your course! However, in a nutshell, my uni experience was very challenging, fun and exciting all at the same time.

The work is quite different from school and college as you do have to do a lot of independent study and it took me a bit of time to get used to. You are expected to research a lot of things yourself and you don't get as much 'hand holding' as you do in college. Once you are used to the difference in learning though it is quite rewarding as you can research what you're interested in and put your own spin on your work. I studied business management, so not sure if this would be applicable to other courses. It is all worth it especially when you graduate and land your first grad job :smile:

I also commuted to uni as I found this worked out better financially for me - I did miss out on the full living in halls experience but i did stay with my college friends who moved away for uni at their freshers events etc so I was able to get a taste of it. I would also say commuting experience didn't impact on me making friends. I made friends through my course and my part time job as well as studying in the library and chatting to other students in the gym etc. I went out a lot and had loads of fun - I would totally recommend going to uni!

I hope this helps!

Original post by Anonymous

My biggest concern for university is the student loans.
What’s the timetable like are there more lectures than classes or are there just lectures ?

Original post by Teesside University
Hi,

I hope this helps!
Reply 6
Original post by 21scope

Well, university life varies greatly from one person to another. If your biggest concern is student loans, I suggest doing some research, and discussing this matter either with the university you're attending, or someone who has some experience with student loans. However, one thing I can tell you is that just like how you shouldn't ignore your student loans, you should also try not to overthink them. At the end of the day, there are various ways for you to sort them out, I would suggest looking for a payment plan that suits you best. Some things to add could be paying a bit more than your monthly payment, sticking to a budget, looking into loan forgiveness. Not going to lie however, my knowledge regarding student loans is pretty limited.

Other than that, I would suggest that you enjoy your uni years as much as possible and try your best to gain experiences, try out new things and meet new people. Take it as a chance to learn more about yourself, and discover more of what you like and who you are as a person. Depending on which university you go to, and what major you're in, you will have a completely different experience to everyone around you.

If there is anything else that might be concerning you or you're interested in knowing more about, please feel free to ask.
@21scope

In answer to your concerns/questions.

There are lectures and seminars.

During lectures, you listen to a lecturer talk for one or two hours about a particular topic. If the lecture goes on for two hours, there is normally a break where you can grab a coffee/go to the toilet. You can ask questions, but it's really a time when you listen and take notes, while the lecturer presents a PowerPoint or a Prezi.

During seminars, you have the opportunity to think about what you have learnt from the lecture. There is time to discuss with other students and to work in pairs or groups. There are different tasks that you are given to do with a lecturer leading the session. Seminars are a bit like workshops, quite relaxed and focused on working together to consolidate learning.

Student loans...

Student loans help to cover tuition fees and accommodation costs. After leaving university, when you get a job that pays over a certain amount, money will be deducted from your monthly pay for the student loan. It is a small amount so it normally takes years to pay off the student loan, but if you are able to save money then you can pay off a large amount at one time rather than waiting for a little bit of money to come out each month. The main problem with student loans is interest. So at present interest rates are high, so you will have to pay back more for the student loan.

It is what it is. You get the chance to do your degree with less financial stress!

All that being said, it is worthwhile to think about finances and how you plan to manage at uni.

How much is your family willing to support you? Are you planning to work during term-time or during the holidays? Are you entitled to a bursary (money that you don't have to pay back)? For example, I am studying podiatry and students get a minimum of £5K each year (paid in instalments) more if they have children, and an extra 1K as there is a shortage of podiatrists. There are a few NHS courses which are entitled to bursaries. Are there any scholarships that the university has or other means of funding available to you?

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by 21scope
What’s the timetable like are there more lectures than classes or are there just lectures ?

Great question!

So in my experience there was equal amounts of lectures and seminars. For instance, if I had 3 modules, each week i'd have one lecture and one seminar related to that module. This may vary from course to course though, so it would be worth checking your chosen universities course page to see what the module structure is like :smile:
Original post by 21scope

You have every right to be concerned about student loans - they can seem like a lot but they are straight forward when broken down :smile: However, here is a summary of what your repayments may look like taken from the Gov.UK website here

Repayment plan 5 is a new repayment plan, being introduced for students starting undergraduate and Advanced Learner Loan courses on or after 1 August 2023. You won’t be expected to make repayments to your plan 5 student loan until April 2026 at the earliest, even if you leave your course early.

You’ll only start making repayments if your income is over the repayment threshold. The repayment threshold for the 2026-27 tax year will be £25,000 a year, £2,083 a month or £480 a week in the UK. If your income falls below the repayment threshold, your repayments will stop and only restart when your income is over the threshold again.

You’ll repay 9% of your income over the repayment threshold, which is currently £25,000 a year, £2,083 a month or £480 a week in the UK. If your income changes, either rising or falling, your repayment amount will automatically change to reflect this.

Hope this helps!
Original post by 21scope

Hi @21scope,

From my experience, university has been the best decision so far. I’d say, depending on where you’re at currently and what you want to do with your life, university can help you in different ways. I found it to be socially challenging for me which was a great way for me to overcome my anxiety and make new friends and connections for my career.

I find it will be challenging for everyone though. This can be In different ways but, if you persevere and truly have a passion for what you go onto to study - or what you want to excel career-wise, the experience at university will be rewarding. Finding out what’s best for you is the first step, then I would consider your options at university and the benefits of it.

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie
Original post by University of Huddersfield
@21scope

In answer to your concerns/questions.

There are lectures and seminars.

During lectures, you listen to a lecturer talk for one or two hours about a particular topic. If the lecture goes on for two hours, there is normally a break where you can grab a coffee/go to the toilet. You can ask questions, but it's really a time when you listen and take notes, while the lecturer presents a PowerPoint or a Prezi.

During seminars, you have the opportunity to think about what you have learnt from the lecture. There is time to discuss with other students and to work in pairs or groups. There are different tasks that you are given to do with a lecturer leading the session. Seminars are a bit like workshops, quite relaxed and focused on working together to consolidate learning.

Student loans...

Student loans help to cover tuition fees and accommodation costs. After leaving university, when you get a job that pays over a certain amount, money will be deducted from your monthly pay for the student loan. It is a small amount so it normally takes years to pay off the student loan, but if you are able to save money then you can pay off a large amount at one time rather than waiting for a little bit of money to come out each month. The main problem with student loans is interest. So at present interest rates are high, so you will have to pay back more for the student loan.

It is what it is. You get the chance to do your degree with less financial stress!

All that being said, it is worthwhile to think about finances and how you plan to manage at uni.

How much is your family willing to support you? Are you planning to work during term-time or during the holidays? Are you entitled to a bursary (money that you don't have to pay back)? For example, I am studying podiatry and students get a minimum of £5K each year (paid in instalments) more if they have children, and an extra 1K as there is a shortage of podiatrists. There are a few NHS courses which are entitled to bursaries. Are there any scholarships that the university has or other means of funding available to you?

Hope that helps,

Thank you so much.
Original post by 21scope

Hi! University is a completely unique experience for everyone and is almost whatever you want to make of it. For me it's been amazing so far!

From an academic point of view, in my experience you get to learn and dive into the subject your most passionate about while being surrounded by people who also love that subject. University also tends to be more freeing with how you want to learn and what works best for you.
From a social side it's about meeting new people, discovering new hobbies and skills and learning how to live more on your own. While that might seem a little daunting I have found it really fun. Personally with Heriot-Watt University being located in Edinburgh I have also spent a lot of my free time exploring a new city with friends and having day trips to the beach which has been so much fun.

With regards to your student timetable it will vary depending on where you go. As I'm taking Computer Science, I have a mixture of lectures, computer labs and tutorials. Lectures tend to be in a big hall and it's used mainly for getting main course information across. In computer labs we go through different exercises while there are teachers and lab helpers about to support us in any problems we are having and in tutorials we go through questions while being able to ask any questions we need to. For me last semester it was about 40% lectures, 40% computer labs and 20% tutorials but all of this changes depending on courses, universities and what year you attend.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

- Jessica
1st Year, Computer Science & AI
Original post by 21scope
Thank you so much.

@21scope

No worries!

All the best,

Reply 14
Original post by 21scope

its like unlocking free roam in GTA
LOL

Original post by neilfr22
its like unlocking free roam in GTA
Original post by 21scope

Hi there :smile:

I have just finished my final year of uni so i'm hoping that I can give you a bit of an insight into what its like. In terms of what your day to day timetable looks like this will greatly vary depending on the course you study. I have friends who go into uni everyday and they have almost a 9-5 day in terms of lectures and seminars and I also have friends who go in once or twice a week. I personally studied psychology so I would say that I had an average to above average amount of lectures and seminars per week. You study a number of modules at uni which are like different topic areas of your degree. For most degrees, each module will have one 2 hour lecture a week and additionally you may have some seminars or workshops (again this will depend on your course). Modules are then examined and at the end of the year you will receive an average grade.

In terms of university life, I personally really enjoyed my experience at Kent. In my first and second year I chose to live on campus in a flat of 8. I got on really well with my flatmates and also some people on my course. I can only speak on behalf of what Kent is like but the campus has pretty much everything you need. There is a big library, co-ops, bookshop, cafe, a number of bars and eateries, an on campus nightclub, sports centre and gym etc. Kent run a give it a go scheme where you can participate in a number of activities such as puppy yoga, canvas painting, tie dye, days out, sports, games night etc. Unis also have numerous societies where you can meet people and develop a new or pre-existing hobby. I will leave some links below if you want to get an idea of what they're like.

In terms of balancing uni and social life it can definitely be challenging at times but also rewarding. I have grown as a person whilst being at uni and i'm a lot more independent. Living away from home means learning to cook, clean, do laundry, tidy, make sure you pay rent on time along with many other skills. That being said I have also really enjoyed meeting new people, learning about different cultures, going clubbing and exploring the city. Uni has been a lot of fun and I think its a great way to develop life skills. I have also learnt a lot through my course. One thing I will say is that uni is not worth rushing into just for the sake of going. I know a lot of people who studied a course that they weren't really passionate about and it caused them to struggle in the longterm. Make sure that if you are thinking of applying to uni that it's for the right reasons and that you are genuinely passionate about the course you want to study.

Hope this gives you a bit of an idea as to what uni is like. If you have any specific questions then please let me know!

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by 21scope

think of repaying the loan as an extra education tax.

if loans are your biggest/only concern - have you considered a degree apprenticeship?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by 21scope

Hi there,

This is very broad and ranges from student to student, but I am happy to give you some insight into my own personal experience!

Overall, when comparing university to school I would say there is a big step up in a few factors. Mostly university is much more independent than school. There is no one taking attendance and making sure you show up to your lectures, you have to rely on yourself. Same with learning your material! A lot more will be independent study and you may need to do your own pre-reading or pre-lectures. Again no one will force you to do so, this is up to you to be studious so I would prepare for the new independence!

Again, with the independence is living alone. The main thing to remember is that everyone is in the same boat as you so don’t be afraid to just introduce yourself or try something new! Go to the social down the hall (if you enjoy those things) and talk to anyone, everyone else is looking to make friends too.

University life is really what you make it. You can join societies, go on nights out, study a lot or do none of those things. Its really up to you to make it your own !
Hope this helped,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending