The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It should be fine, there's no assumed knowledge.
Are you interested in History?
Reply 3
Some kid did that in my class this year. I think he was alright, I mean he wasn't at a total disadvantage. Unless we talked about topics we did in GCSE which was hardly ever because there were two different types of History classes at my school. It was mostly general stuff, if ever. Although, my teacher really disliked him. Not a coincidence, methinks.. In essence, you'll be fine.
Reply 4
By doing the History A level, you'll learn about History!!

Just make sure you're really interested in the subject before you choose it as it is a lot of work as there is a load of material to cover!
As long as you're interested in the subject you'll be fine.

No-one can know everything about history. Some A Level topics are really quite obscure so its unlikely that anyone will have a good knowledge of the topic. Even if you do topics that some students will have done at GCSE, you wont be at a great disadvantage because there'll be alot more depth and detail at A Level

It might be difficult if you've never worked with sources before but those skills can be taught and picked up

If you're interested in the subject then dont be put off by not having done it before
i did it... only did History in Year 9 and HATED it but was forced to do it for my uni offer for A level!! Didn't have a clue but you don't need to. I'm predicted an A now for my overall A level and I don't even like or have an interest in the subject. So yeah its easily possible haha!
No..they teach you it :p: lol. A girl in my AS history class didn't do it at GCSE and she seemed to cope fine. There's no assumed knowledge with history.
Why have you chosen it?

If you think it'll be an easy option, or that you can just pick it up, then I'd say don't choose it, like with an subject you need to be interested. I'd say with History, you need to be really interested in it... There's a lot of extra reading and work that needs to be done outside of class compared with something like Biology.

If you're interested in it, curious about it or know that you like the periods you study, go for it! :smile: You can always drop it at AS
If you think you will enjoy it then go for it. You shuld be fine and catch up with the one or two minor skills you've missed quite easily.
Reply 10
you have to be interested in it, do not take it, you do not have any solid foundation for starters which you would learn in GCSE
I'd do it, you don't learn much from History GCSE anyway in all fairness.
Reply 12
I did the same as you. I haven't studied GCSE History, this hasn't discouraged me to opt for it as an A-level. If you have an interest in the subject then do pick History:smile: However I would inform you to try and read some History book, throughout the summer:yes:
Some might say you've answered the question in the question.
Reply 14
I did the Tudor years, but i knew about the Tudors beforehand as i'm sure most people do. I didn't know it in massive detail though. They teach you each topic from scratch :smile:
People who achieve in history are gonna be able to answer that question thereselves.
Gr8
you have to be interested in it, do not take it, you do not have any solid foundation for starters which you would learn in GCSE

This is bad advice. :p:

The OP might be interested in it when she starts studying it. GCSE doesn't give you a "solid foundation" - you could be studying completely different topics at A Level anyway.
Reply 17
I've taken it and the last time I had a proper History lesson was in year 8 (for the entire year 9, our teacher was away. We had a different sub every week). I chose it because the periods that were covered interest me and it was recommended by the careers advisor.
Reply 18
As long as the period that you will be studying interests you and you don't mind essay writing then go for it. No previous knowledge of history is assumed.
Reply 19
There is a guy in my A-Level history class who didn't take it as a GCSE and he gets on ok. As long as you have an interest in the subject and are willing to put a lot of effort in you should be alright. Even people who did it at GCSE in my class were unsure on some of the background knowledge and we just went over it again, so even if your not sure on it all there'll be someone else unsure as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending