The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

River85
Nope, they are spread across the city. It's just that all three (Durham in particular) are small cities so it still remains fairly self-contained and, dare I say, a bit of a bubble. Whether this is a good or bad thing really depends on what you're looking for and it seems like it's what you want. There's also the collegiate structure which, although still different to a campus, still helps to create a personal touch. Added pastoral and personal support and often easier to settle in. Of course this is down to the individual.

Durham, as a university, is actually moving out of the city centre and has been these past few years. The "new" colleges (mid 20th century onwards) have always been located on "the hill" (just one of three main hills in Durham) to the west of the city centre. It's only a five to fifteen minute walk. The older "Bailey" colleges and the arts/social sciences are largely in the city centre. The law department being in the city centre on the historic Bailey, around Palace Green and the cathedral. However, the plan is to move the law department outside the city (near the hill colleges, main library, science site and recently moved departments). Palace Green library, again by the cathedral, is used mainly by the law and music departments. However, this is being closed down also and transferred to the main library on the science site (outside the site).

So what I'm basically saying is that in a few years time there won't be anything in the city centre except a handful of arts departments and colleges around the Bailey plus the Elvet Riverside lecture complex. The newer colleges, social science departments (including law), administration buildings, new lecture buildings will all be just outside the city centre and form a "campus" of sorts, with a gateway. Sorry, I'm describing this very poorly :p: All in all, it doesn't matter, it's such a small city it doesn't take long to walk anywhere.

Right, well, after confusing things, allof the universities you've listed have very reputable law faculties indeed. Oxford, Durham, London, Bristol and Nottingham being easily amongst the strongest in the country. Manchester doesn't fall short of these by any particularly significant measure. It's still a strong redbrick, large and well targeted.

You should find cheerleading teams and most, if not all, of those universities. College and university sport is particularly strong at Durham and they do have the "Durham Divas"

http://www.teamdurham.com/universitysport/university_clubs/cheerleading/

Unfortunately their own personal website doesn't seem to work but if you want to know more about it then it may be worth sending the captain an email. I'm sure she'll give you some information if she has the time.

I'm about to merge the threads :smile:

durham divas sounds cool does anyone know if bristol and warwick hav cheerleaders? they sound pretty competitive though competing everywhere.... i doubt that they really mean it when they say 'no experience required'? i dont have any experience but i've always really wanted to try it. do you know if they just say that or do they mean it? what are the tryouts like?

thanks for merging the threads! i have no idea how lol
leala4628
We have street dance over here, it's probably more likely to be that than ballet in universities to be honest.

by here do you mean durham or cambridge? is the street dance thing like a school team, or is it a class? thanks again
myriadofatoms
1. You will find HK students everywhere , whether they are doing their undergraduate or postgraduate.

2. The ones you mentioned all have a very reputable law faculty. You may also wish to add Warwick and Birmingham to that ( just the two universities I could think of the top of my head).

3. As for team spirit I would have to disagree. All universities have a vast array of societies to join so there is something for everyone. As for location it depends on what you want as the universities you mentioned above all have great campuses (non-London ones).

4. 38 on the IB. Despite Oxford giving out offers starting from 38 points this does not necessarily mean that they will and you'll be at a disadvantage with students submitting predictions at 40 points or higher.

Thanks for the info!
Sorry about that-- new to the site.

Is there a big difference between campus and no-campus? not so much the convenience of a city-life but how the people are, like are they less friendly, as into the school... of course this would have to be a gross generalization...

Right now I think I mainly have to choose between Bristol, Nottingham, Warwick, Birmingham I think
pros and cons?

also if anyone knows anything about a dance team at their uni...
cos msot of the dance programs i looked at on the website seemed to be more contemporary, ballet, jazz etc
not so much of a street dance scene?
Prudy
What do you mean by strong Student Union. IMO Durham fulfills all your criteria but I'm not sure what you mean by strong SU....

oh right and strong student union i guess im just going on about the school spirit thing again... sorry if that was unclear.

oxford and durham arent campus unis? o_0
new to me! lol.
oh and yeah about the dance i just thought it was more classical ballet kind of dance. theres no street dance or anything like that?
*Star*Guitar*
Manchester is a great uni if you want to go outside of London...they have loads of legal opportunities open to you whilst you study there, and its a great city. You can always set up a dancing soc if there isn't one, too.

are you at manchester uni?
Jingers
Big whoop.

OP, my opinion is this:

1. Oxbridge
2. UCL/LSE
3. Warwick
4. Manchester
5. Queen Mary

Aaah I see trying to avoid London unis though... i like the campus and a bit of grass and trees. im interested to know why you didnt include nottingham?
ronaldo91
are you at manchester uni?

No, but I've dabbled with it enough to see what it's like.
bittersweet.xox
by here do you mean durham or cambridge? is the street dance thing like a school team, or is it a class? thanks again

By here I mean the UK in general. Ballet lessons are usually private rather than university based (unless at a dance college obviously). I'm not sure how they work it really.
Reply 29
bittersweet.xox
Aaah I see trying to avoid London unis though... i like the campus and a bit of grass and trees. im interested to know why you didnt include nottingham?

Bristol
Leicester
Warwick
Durham
Nottingham
Kent
Cardiff
Exeter
Perhaps Reading

I rekon

Bristol
Oxbridge
Durham
KCL
LSE
UCL
Leicester (avoid if possible, allthough it's my insurance :P)
Nottingham
Warwick

Any out of those :smile:
Reply 30
yes really tight chinese society but i prefer mixing with other internationals..
well as long as you get the grades they asked for in AS and have a strong PS is fine, LNAT isn't that important.
jkyng1
yes really tight chinese society but i prefer mixing with other internationals..
well as long as you get the grades they asked for in AS and have a strong PS is fine, LNAT isn't that important.

Yeah same here... my main concern with Nottingham would be segregation I guess I heard that it has the highest percentage of HK students among the UK unis? except maybe the london ones which would be part of why im avoiding them also b/c of the campus thing. do you know what they require for IB? do you mind me asking what were your other choices of unis?

btw while i have the chance, does Nottingham have a street dance team kind of?
London unis wouldnt have cheerleading teams would they..?

can anyone tell me why they decided to or not to pick a uni in London?
Reply 33
bittersweet.xox
London unis wouldnt have cheerleading teams would they..?

can anyone tell me why they decided to or not to pick a uni in London?

Looks like KCL may have one but can't find anything on Google for UCL/LSE cheerleading.

I decided to pick KCL as my firm for these reasons

-The location (the Strand and WestEnd of London are probably the best places I've been, R.C.O.J., barrister's chambers, Parliament etc)
-The prestige (in Law it is quite important and London allows for first hand experiences not avaliable elsewhere (mini pupillages in the best sets, etc) ... the KCL Law Soc which organises free drinking sessions
-But really, just London. The best nightlife, biggest size, coolest transport system, Thames, the vibe/style, I just like everything about London, it's my kind of place.

------------

Of course it could do with a bit more grass, less cars, and some cheaper food, but the larger loan/grant and the fact I spend other time in Hereford makes up for this.
Reply 34
bittersweet.xox

Lol, sorry. I forgot about London, and you wanting a campus. Scratch UCL/LSE, though they are both amazing and a degree there will get you far, and replace it with Queen Mary, whose Law department is arguably better than Manchester/Nottingham, and is ranked higher than Bristol in the tables (yes, they aren't everything, but still...). The QM campus also has a canal, some green space and a good SU.

I'd say that Manchester and Nottingham are interchangeable.
Reply 35
bittersweet.xox
oh right and strong student union i guess im just going on about the school spirit thing again... sorry if that was unclear.

oxford and durham arent campus unis? o_0
new to me! lol.
oh and yeah about the dance i just thought it was more classical ballet kind of dance. theres no street dance or anything like that?

Oxford and Durham uni's are basically the entire city - the various colleges and departments and lecture theatres are based all over so there is a little (abotu 10-30 mins) walking involved (in Durhams case).

Durham has a cheerlading team, the college spirit is very good (very unified - we have our own college song at Aidan's) and the law dept is one of the most respected in the country. Don't let world placement put you off :wink:
Jingers
Lol, sorry. I forgot about London, and you wanting a campus. Scratch UCL/LSE, though they are both amazing and a degree there will get you far, and replace it with Queen Mary, whose Law department is arguably better than Manchester/Nottingham, and is ranked higher than Bristol in the tables (yes, they aren't everything, but still...). The QM campus also has a canal, some green space and a good SU.

I'd say that Manchester and Nottingham are interchangeable.

no way! QM has a campus? I thought it was in London with the rest of the other London unis??
lol do you happen to know if they have a dance team of any sort?
audiocity
Looks like KCL may have one but can't find anything on Google for UCL/LSE cheerleading.

-The location (the Strand and WestEnd of London are probably the best places I've been, R.C.O.J., barrister's chambers, Parliament etc)
-The prestige (in Law it is quite important and London allows for first hand experiences not avaliable elsewhere (mini pupillages in the best sets, etc) ... the KCL Law Soc which organises free drinking sessions
-But really, just London. The best nightlife, biggest size, coolest transport system, Thames, the vibe/style, I just like everything about London, it's my kind of place.

------------

Of course it could do with a bit more grass, less cars, and some cheaper food, but the larger loan/grant and the fact I spend other time in Hereford makes up for this.

by any chance did you also apply to the other london unis, lse, ucl, QM? how did you decide KCL over them?
by the way, does anyone know how to compare courses in Unis? I know it sounds stupid lol but i actually dont know how for eg i went to the nottingham and oxford sites and looked at law courses for both of them and they had a few bits in common and some without but since ive never studied law before or anything all the names were very foreign to me and ive always thought law was just law anyways

its just that people have been saying that youre supposed to look at the course and see if its what you want, and actually pick the course over the uni! but i dont know what i want and i dont know what all the names mean and even if i search them up i dont know if thatll be any use.

help?
audiocity

------------

oh and before i forget (assuming you are attending KCL), are there any street dance teams or cheerleading teams? thanks a bunch!

Latest

Trending

Trending