The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You'll need something to do work on...
...and desktops aren't exactly the most convenient at uni.
Not necessarily no, unless you want to be one of them really annoying people who uses their laptop in lectures pissing everyone else off. A computer of some sort is generally recommended as computer room/library/whatever computers are generally not great to use and can get really crowded.
Yes, basically.
Reply 5
Its not necessary as you can just do your coursework in the library if you wanted to but its just a matter of convenience..
Reply 6
I would have thought so.
dont get a laptop, get a desktop :biggrin:
Reply 8
TuckingFypo&#8482
...and desktops aren't exactly the most convenient at uni.

Why is that?
Reply 9
Yes, you will need a laptop.
dmae
Why is that?

Because desktop big and not portable. Laptop small and portable. :biggrin:
Reply 11
Genocidal
Because desktop big and not portable. Laptop small and portable. :biggrin:

Well I am not planning to use my computer outside my room so in my case desktop is better :wink:
dmae
Well I am not planning to use my computer outside my room so in my case desktop is better :wink:

This.

*hugs desktop* :h:
I' not sure I see the point of a laptop-but then again I haven't gone to Uni yet. I doubt I'll be able to afford one so I'll probs just be doing all my work at the main computers-nothing wrong with that.
It's likely you'll need one but depending on the amount of computers at your uni you might not. I could have managed the year without one as i always found a spare PC.
dmae

I thought this, but my laptop now goes to the library a lot for essay-writing, and there's no way I could take a desktop home on the train between terms.

OP, you could do without a laptop at uni, but I don't think you'd really want to.
Reply 16
You could do without one... if your uni has several large computer rooms - but I have one now and I find it extremely handy for essay writing, because you can do it in the library with all your reference material and notes around you - plus you can connect it to your uni network too.... So its really a matter of how you prefer to work at the end of the day
My friend took a laptop and it never left his room all year anyways. Personally I'm taking a laptop and a desktop.
I don't think I could get away with not having a laptop at Uni, most of our lecture slides are online, tutorials are booked online, worksheets are also put up online. I guess I could have gone to the library but I'm lazy:p:

Also I found that last year I didn't need to take my laptop outside my room at all so I could have taken a desktop, which would have given me extra space on my desk too, since the monitor would have been right against the wall and the keyboard could just have been moved somewhere else too :smile:
Reply 19
It depends on how you work, really. Plenty of people take laptops and realise it never leaves their room, so it was pointless, though many take desktops and realise having a laptop would have been easier/handier.

Personally I'm taking a desktop since any work done on the computer I intend to do in my room or on a computer at the university. I can't stand the idea of taking a laptop to the library and doing work there and having to carry the laptop around everywhere with me and worry about it getting damaged, etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending