The Student Room Group

Just how useful is having your own car to practice in?

I have my third test (:o:) coming up in just under a month's time and I'm considering buying a little car to get more practice in when I'm not having a lesson. I don't want to pick up any 'bad' habits from my brother or Dad though! so, has anyone found that this really helped them, or did it somehow hinder your progress?

:smile:
Reply 1
Well I would say that it took me a month after passing my test to be totally relaxed in the car, and probably able to walk through another test. Getting used to the roads and getting used to a car are different things. If you are taking your test in another car (which is not a requirement btw) then just drive it for an hour before your test to get used to it.

As for learning the rules of the road you do kind of need an instructor as they can be quite particular. Like a fault in my mock was not putting my right indicator on at a crossroads even though I was in the right lane, and there were traffic lights.

I would say that getting used to driving and following basic rules can be done under provision by parents etc, but driving instructors are there for new information, not practice. Getting a highway code book and looking up anything that puzzles you is a good idea, then you are pretty much your own teacher. Also, go to the area around the tset center and get used to the roads where you will start your test.

Some advice I always give is that when you are on the open road and have time to think, think about the gears and speed limits that are about to come up and always think ahead when you have the time.
There's a difference between learning to drive for your test and learning to drive. The two are related, but not the same - learning one will help you with the other, but fundamentally they're very different things. Learning to drive (i.e. in your own car, with parents or whoever) will be a lot cheaper than learning to drive for your test (i.e. with an instructor), won't mess you up too much if you don't allow it to, and will make you a lot more confident at driving in general when it comes to your test.

Also, if you are approaching your third test, you shouldn't need to be getting any tips off your brother/dad on how to drive the car. So you shouldn't pick up any bad habits at all. :s-smilie:
With me having another car at home really helped, i was learning in a BMW Mini with the instructor and was using a Ford Ka to drive around with my mum or dad, took my 1st 2 tests in the mini, failed them because of stupid mistakes by me, took the third in the Ka and was so relaxed compared to the other 2 that it was unreal, and passed on my third in the ford ka =], Plus if you re unsure with what you were doing in the lesson going out and practicing it makes things a whole lot easier =]
Reply 4
I did almost all of my driving with my parents and then had 6 lessons before my test to ensure I wasn't doing anything wrong and that I knew how to drive to the test, not that I knew how to drive full stop. I think driving with my parents helped hugely.
Reply 5
audiocity
Well I would say that it took me a month after passing my test to be totally relaxed in the car, and probably able to walk through another test. Getting used to the roads and getting used to a car are different things. If you are taking your test in another car (which is not a requirement btw) then just drive it for an hour before your test to get used to it.

As for learning the rules of the road you do kind of need an instructor as they can be quite particular. Like a fault in my mock was not putting my right indicator on at a crossroads even though I was in the right lane, and there were traffic lights.

I would say that getting used to driving and following basic rules can be done under provision by parents etc, but driving instructors are there for new information, not practice. Getting a highway code book and looking up anything that puzzles you is a good idea, then you are pretty much your own teacher. Also, go to the area around the tset center and get used to the roads where you will start your test.

Some advice I always give is that when you are on the open road and have time to think, think about the gears and speed limits that are about to come up and always think ahead when you have the time.

ah, I do have an instructor :smile: and I have been around the test routes a lot (esp as it's not my first test lol)

I don't think I really explained myself properly in the first post :o:
Reply 6
Thy-Lanky-One
With me having another car at home really helped, i was learning in a BMW Mini with the instructor and was using a Ford Ka to drive around with my mum or dad, took my 1st 2 tests in the mini, failed them because of stupid mistakes by me, took the third in the Ka and was so relaxed compared to the other 2 that it was unreal, and passed on my third in the ford ka =], Plus if you re unsure with what you were doing in the lesson going out and practicing it makes things a whole lot easier =]

I think that's what I was getting at. I feel really nervous during the test and I suppose I thought that maybe if I got a car the same as my instructors, that I would feel more at ease and relaxed as I would be having extra practice in it. There's also the idea that it is something to motivate me through the test and a kind of 'reward' for passing :o:

I do feel a lot more ready for this test though, as my first two were with a different instructor and I kinda rushed into them.

thanks for the replies everyone, apologies for not explaining myself properly in the op :smile:
Reply 7
I didn't have a car to practice in, 35 hours of lessons with my instructor and passed first time!
I would HATE to have learnt to drive with my parents, it would have become hours of arguments :yep:

OP its up to you really, rather than fork out on a car/ insurance etc wouldn't it be better to just have more lessons?

Latest

Trending

Trending