The Student Room Group

Driving

I recently turned 15 and I have been so anxious to get my permit so I could drive. I love cars, fixing them, driving them etc… so I asked my parents if I could get my permit my dad said no and my mom said yes. But my dad is the one that decides if I get my permit or not and when. He doesn’t want me to get my permit but he lets my drive the cars around the block time to time and he has even taken me to the DMV to practice parking, and use the parking lot as a road. But when I asked him about a permit he said no what should I do, how should I get him to let me get my permit. He has even gotten me my first car last winter.
(edited 7 months ago)
Is this in the UK?

If so, you can apply for a permit once you're 15 years and 9 months, but you're not allowed to drive a car outside of private property until you're 17 unless you fit certain disability criteria. So if you've only just turned 15 you're not able to get a permit anyway at the moment

Reply 2
Original post by _frank_
But when I asked him about a permit he said no what should I do, how should I get him to let me get my permit. He has even gotten me my first car last winter.

What's the reason he said no?
Reply 3
Original post by Fibonacci28
Is this in the UK?

The term DMV was used, so USA, not UK.
Reply 4
He didn't say he just said that he doesn't want me taking about this again
Reply 5
I'm in the U.S
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by _frank_
He didn't say he just said that he doesn't want me taking about this again

We can't advise on how to persuade your dad if we don't know his objections! Get your mum to find out, then.
Reply 7
Original post by Surnia
We can't advise on how to persuade your dad if we don't know his objections! Get your mum to find out, then.

She said that she thinks he is afraid of me growing up
Somewhere like reddit might be a better place to ask this or a car forum, TSR is uk based so most posters will only know about the procedures for the UK.
Reply 9
Original post by _frank_
She said that she thinks he is afraid of me growing up

Then get your mum's help to persuade him and the 3 of you sit down to discuss it sensibly. Failing that, you'll have to wait until you can apply on your own.
Reply 10
Original post by CoolCavy
Somewhere like reddit might be a better place to ask this or a car forum, TSR is uk based so most posters will only know about the procedures for the UK.

Ok thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending