The Student Room Group

a girl and flowers...advice please!!

Hey people!

I've just left uni, and over the last few weeks a female housemate of mine was showing me a lot of affection, and we were getting on really well. Problem is she has a long term boyfriend.

Her birthday is coming up soon, and we've gone our seperate ways and are both currently living back home with our parents.

For her bday i'm deffo sending her a card, but i was thinking of maybe sending her some flowers as well.

I'm just concious of how this may look...will it be revealing too much that I really like her?...is it not my place to send flowers to a girl who's already in a relationship?

What are the views of people on this!?

Many thanks.
It's only flowers :smile: Its very sweet and perfectly acceptable imo.
go for it...
I'd love it, tbh.
Reply 4
By all means send her flowers as a friendly gesture, but I wouldn't try anything on with her if she has a long term boyfriend. Sending flowers is more a boyfriendly thing though, so you could maybe send her a different present? As long as you aren't trying to send her gifts that hint that you like her, you should be fine. It wouldn't really be fair on her to try and win her over if she's happy in her current relationship, any sort of move would have to be made by her. She could just be an affectionate person?
Reply 5
Personally, I wouldn't do it.

If her boyfriend sees them he will ask questions...although she and you have nothing to hide its not really a nice situation.
Reply 6
if i was in the girls postion i wouldnt like it.. would just remind me of how much i miss my boyfriend lol
Reply 7
Do it. Flowers are always good, if you don't want to look too in love don't get roses.

A nice summer bunch should do it with a good flower mix. Spend about £30! More would be too expensive less will look a bit cheap, personally speaking ...
Reply 8
The girly part of me says dooooo it :biggrin: But then...my boyfriend would probably be unhappy and uncomfortable about another man sending me flowers. It could cause problems for them and although you like her, it's not really fair to do that.
Reply 9
So long as they're not something obvious like roses I shouldn't see why it would be a problem. Just make sure you pick some that are bright and cheerful !!
I would much prefer a posy of simple flowers that my admirer/other has grown rather than an extravagant expensive bouquet, I dont know, it seems much more sweeter the first way, and more special if they picked them just for you :smile:
Yeah, just don't go for roses, or lillies. Or ones from a supermarket, picky, I know :h:
I'd say rather than sending flowers which implies that you're interested but doesn't actually tell her straight out, get her a thoughtful present, something you know she'd like, doesn't have to be expensive, maybe relating to a joke or memory you had together? And if you want her to know how you feel, then tell her! If you can't bring yourself to say it to her face you could write her a letter with the present?

Out of interest, do you know how she feels about the long term boyfriend, is it a happy relationship? And do you know the boyfriend? Cos if you do I'd say flowers are a definite no no.
I think it's fine-stay away from roses as they have romantic associations. Oooh it's sunflower time of year that'd be really nice!
I would hate it if someone (not my boyfriend) sent me flowers. It would look pretty odd and give the wrong impression - in my opinion, flowers aren't the sort of thing you'd give to friends... It'd probably make my BF a bit suspicious, too.
Reply 16
I'd hate it if another guy sent flowers to my girlfriend. I say go with another gift.
I'm sure her boyfriend wouldn't be overly impressed, even if there was no romantic intent behind it.

Latest

Trending

Trending