The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Questions about accomodation

I am a maths student with a firm offer (conditional, but will get the grades) to study at Leicester and I am looking to apply for accomodation. Basically, I couldn't care less about sharing facilities with other people or how big and luxurious my room is, I just want a bed and somewhere to put stuff. Plus, I could really use the extra money as I can't get any income-assessed support due to parents having money, but no guaranteed financial support from them either. However, I want to go into catered accomodation for various reasons (seems cheaper overall, less to worry about etc).

So I would want to apply for catered standard single, without an en-suite, right? Well also I want to be in the midst of it all, amongst lots of other first-year students. Being mildly autistic, I have found it difficult in the past to cope socially and make friends. This has improved in the past so I am quite happy to be around people, but I want to make it as easy as possible for me to make friends by living close to as many people as possible. Which hall is best for this?

I need to put a minimum of four choices down for my accomodation application, so I thought i'd put my first choice as:

1) Catered: Beaumont- Standard Single

On the assumption that Beaumont is the most sociable hall. There aren't any standard single rooms according to the booklet, but the online form seems to be letting me choose that anyway, so should i do that or pick premium single?

Im not sure which halls to put as my first, second and third choices, especially as there are no catered standard single rooms in GMS. It's also worth nothing that there are only three of these in John Foster Hall, in comparision with 456 catered premium plus en suite rooms amongst others. Does this mean I might be seperated from the regular students with ensuites and be with the other people in the few Standard Single and Standard Twin rooms?

AHHHHHH too much to think about! Which halls are the most sociable in general? Digby says something about "close-knit academic self-supportive communities" which sounds sociable, but a bit small and cliquey rather than big groups of people who i can make friends with.
Reply 1
Beaumont and Digby have standard single catered rooms and they would probably be your best bet if you want to apply anwhere. Also, GMS does have catered single rooms.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
I've got my room at Beaumont and i'm catered too :smile:.
Reply 3
GMS is widely accepted as the most sociable hall - it is a fact that they have the most active JCRC (Junior Common Room Committee - the people that organise the events). If you were to choose GMS catered then I think you'd probably be put in Lasdun, which isn't very much to look at but inside it's fine. Also - Lasdun is right next to the S-Bar where all the events are!

I couldn't comment on Beaumont and Digby's social life, but I think I'm right in saying that in Digby you have to walk to Beaumont to get your meals (it's a 5 minute walk tops, but you'll get progressively lazier as the year goes on) - could well be wrong though.

In short, not that I'm biased or anything, go for GMS :P
Reply 4
milly.
GMS is widely accepted as the most sociable hall - it is a fact that they have the most active JCRC (Junior Common Room Committee - the people that organise the events). If you were to choose GMS catered then I think you'd probably be put in Lasdun, which isn't very much to look at but inside it's fine. Also - Lasdun is right next to the S-Bar where all the events are!

I couldn't comment on Beaumont and Digby's social life, but I think I'm right in saying that in Digby you have to walk to Beaumont to get your meals (it's a 5 minute walk tops, but you'll get progressively lazier as the year goes on) - could well be wrong though.

In short, not that I'm biased or anything, go for GMS :P

That was how it worked this year.

Latest

Trending

Trending