The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Abhead
Way to totally understand Olivia's point, and the whole issue.
There is no equivelent word for males because the same behaviour that is considered unacceptable and "slutty" in women is considered acceptable and even desirable in men. That is the double standard, and it is both ridiculous and horribly unfair.

I lol'd, so do you think it should be ok for women and men to go around sleeping with loads of different people (equally acceptable for both men and women), or do you think that people should stick to one partner?
Olivia_Lightbulb
Why is it harder for men to 'get laid' as you term it? You are basing this on the outdated and stereotypical assumption that women do not enjoy sex as much as men.

No, I'm basing it on what actually happens. If a man asked every woman in a club if they wanted sex, the majority would say no. If a woman asked every man in a club if they wanted sex, the amount of men saying yes would be much higher.
Girls with opinions is always funny, but never important.
35mm_
Is that the best you could find?

Firstly, it refers to domestic slavery, not political slavery. It was also written in 2001, it's not recent. And it's also in Europe, not the USA (which is what we were talking about: the abolitionist cause).

From where I am standing being treated as a posession and forced to work for no money is the textbook definition of Slavery. 2001 is recent, do you honestly believe that since then the problem has dissapeared? Britain/Europe are representative of western society and the same thing happens in the US There are plenty of sources available, if you want more information do your own research. I'm not wasting my time googling for you, especially when my computer is running ridiculously slowly. You are arguing about technicalities when I have provided you with information that makes it incredibly clear that slavery is still alive and well.
Ahahaha this thread is just a joke.
Reply 65
BibblyBobbly
Mate, you're missing the point. They want something to whinge about, they're militant feminists. It doesn't matter whether they're right or wrong, they see injustice against women everywhere.

What? There was a point I missed?

I would like to believe that everyone on this forum was a feminist based on the fundamental belief that women should be equal to men, which is the definition of a feminist. Those 'militant feminists' that you are referring to are embarrassing and it could be argued that they aren't even real feminists as a lot of them seem to want 'special rights' for women over men. What has this got to do with my post again?
Olivia_Lightbulb
Those terms are not as degrading.

Why can't a man be called a 'slut'?

Wouldn't I be a slutty-slut if I slept with you on a first date?

squish.
Reply 67
BibblyBobbly
Blokes get called ****s too you know. You're making a fuss over nothing. You are aware that my comment about blokes getting called cocks was taking the piss don't you?

Well, obviously I do, but **** is an obscene term for the vulva, isn't it? Girls can get called cocks, as well, but it is somewhat of a male word - generally meaning penis. Come on, use your own logic. Yes - I was aware of it, but I was trying to make a point.

It's not a fuss over nothing, not at all, language is a massively important influence on how we speak and how we act, as well as being a mirror of our society. If our language has a bias against women, which it does, then that says something about our society, and is a worrying potential influence.
basketofsnakes
I lol'd, so do you think it should be ok for women and men to go around sleeping with loads of different people (equally acceptable for both men and women), or do you think that people should stick to one partner?

I think people can do whatever they want, I don't judge people on their sexual behaviour because I don't think it is relevant to whether they are a good person or not, or whether they are a person I would want to know.
Abhead
From where I am standing being treated as a posession and forced to work for no money is the textbook definition of Slavery. 2001 is recent, do you honestly believe that since then the problem has dissapeared? Britain/Europe are representative of western society and the same thing happens in the US There are plenty of sources available, if you want more information do your own research. I'm not wasting my time googling for you, especially when my computer is running ridiculously slowly. You are arguing about technicalities when I have provided you with information that makes it incredibly clear that slavery is still alive and well.

Slavery, in the sense of what the abolitionists of the USA in the late 19th Century were campaigning against, is not still alive. That's what I was talking about, I talked about a very specific national movement, you talked about it in very general terms because you don't know what you're talking about (a popular politician technique; taking note from Cameron?). And if you're comparing slavery to the position of females then you're rather dense.
OhNO!
Well, obviously I do, but **** is an obscene term for the vulva, isn't it? Girls can get called cocks, as well, but it is somewhat of a male word - generally meaning penis. Come on, use your own logic. Yes - I was aware of it, but I was trying to make a point.

It's not a fuss over nothing, not at all, language is a massively important influence on how we speak and how we act, as well as being a mirror of our society. If our language has a bias against women, which it does, then that says something about our society, and is a worrying potential influence.

Skirts have a worrying bias towards women against men, and skirts are a big business. Worrying for our society.
Reply 71
I think someone here is trolling.
Phil2008
No, I'm basing it on what actually happens. If a man asked every woman in a club if they wanted sex, the majority would say no. If a woman asked every man in a club if they wanted sex, the amount of men saying yes would be much higher.

Better evidence needed, but that doesn't consequently mean that women should be villified and called derogatory names if they do choose to be promiscuous. The point is that society expects men to always want sex whereas a sexually voracious women is condemned, and therefore those men and women in your nightcub example are going to want to conform to societys ideals, which as regards this, are unfair.
feminists are well hot

Reply 74
BibblyBobbly
Skirts have a worrying bias towards women against men, and skirts are a big business. Worrying for our society.

don't reply if you're just going to be facetious.
Failed123
What? There was a point I missed?

I would like to believe that everyone on this forum was a feminist based on the fundamental belief that women should be equal to men, which is the definition of a feminist. Those 'militant feminists' that you are referring to are embarrassing and it could be argued that they aren't even real feminists as a lot of them seem to want 'special rights' for women over men. What has this got to do with my post again?

Surely everybody should be an egalitarian? Feminism is more about the rights of women, and aren't they pretty equal now? It seems almost obsolete now. I mean except from men not being called sluts which is a DISGRACE.

The bit in bold is exactly what I've tried to say before, but maybe didn't articulate too well. I feel sometimes feminism is taken a bit too far.
OhNO!
don't reply if you're just going to be facetious.

Don't reply if you're just going to talk faeces
35mm_
Slavery, in the sense of what the abolitionists of the USA in the late 19th Cenutry, is not still alive. That's what I was talking about, I talked about a very specific national movement, you talked about in very general terms because you don't know what you're talking about. And if you're comparing slavery to the position of females then you're rather dense.

I'm not the one who made the original comparison :rolleyes:

Slavery in the sense of what the word Slavery actually means is still very much alive. Of course the situation is not exactly the same as it was then, but the fundemental issue is that people are still being enslaved.

It is no longer legal and socially acceptable for a man to beat his wife but that doesn't mean domestic violence is no longer an issue. There aren't many people fighting on horseback with bayonets anymore but war still exists, it is just conducted differently.

Slavery still exists despite the specific circumstances having changed.
Reply 78
BibblyBobbly
Don't reply if you're just going to talk faeces

If you were making a point that actually had a leg to stand on, you might have been able to actually get involved with this discussion without resorting to just making obnoxious replies.
I agree with the OP strongly. Although I could never ever date a girl who was militantly leftist or feminist, it's still hawt :coma:

Latest

Trending

Trending