The Student Room Group

Why do you train?

Scroll to see replies

mipegg
Theres a sudden influx of climbers?

Type/grade?
None as of yet. I've only been doing it for less than a month and have only been on my friends' wall they made in their garage.
Reply 201
joshm
None as of yet. I've only been doing it for less than a month and have only been on my friends' wall they made in their garage.

Garage walls are the beast.

Dont worry about grades for the first few months, they'll shoot up to about 5c/6a (british trash grade) then you'll start slowing down. As for bouldering, I expect you'd probably get stuck about V4.

Your mate good? The techniques for getting up into the higher grades are just... odd.
I train for the ladies i'm not even going to try and lie. But if i had to pick bodyparts i would say chest and abs (arms close 3rd)
Reply 203
Powerlifter

Shut Putt - County Finals

i could have sworn that at first glance that said "slut putt"
sounds like a good idea for a sport if i'm being honest
I train the endurance of both my legs and arms so that I can do the marathon when I turn 18.

As a result my abs are trained as a side-effect of cycling and running, so it's basically to look good as well.

I've already represented my school and borough at many cross-countries, district championships and mini-marathons, so it's the step up.
Reply 205
I train to level up.
To see my numbers come down.
to get sexy.
and so i can run 50 yards for a bus without needing a triple heart bypass. mmm ex-smokerrr
cuz i'm vain.
Because I don't know any other way.
Cos I think I look ugly and diet and exercise is the only form of control I have over my body (can't change my skin colour or the little bump in my nose or that one toe is longer than the rest etc.)
Cos I play netball, tennis, do athletics and need to improve stamina and fitness levels.
Cos having previously suffered an eating disorder, I find that obsessing over exercise is healthier than obsessing over food, to a certain extent.
Cos, sad as it is, seeing gorgeous slim celebrities makes me flinch with envy and if I'm unhappy with my own body I owe it to myself to give it a shot at being half as hot a Gisele Bundchen and Bar Rafaelli, however unachievable.
Cos I worry my bf will stop finding me attractive if I get fat.
Cos I need to work hard to avoid my weight ballooning to the extent where I resemble Michelle McManus.
shuperstar
Cos I think I look ugly and diet and exercise is the only form of control I have over my body (can't change my skin colour or the little bump in my nose or that one toe is longer than the rest etc.)

Cos having previously suffered an eating disorder, I find that obsessing over exercise is healthier than obsessing over food, to a certain extent.

Cos, sad as it is, seeing gorgeous slim celebrities makes me flinch with envy and if I'm unhappy with my own body I owe it to myself to give it a shot at being half as hot a Gisele Bundchen and Bar Rafaelli, however unachievable.

Cos I worry my bf will stop finding me attractive if I get fat.

Cos I need to work hard to avoid my weight ballooning to the extent where I resemble Michelle McManus.

I can empathise with each of those, but you need to work out of that mentality. The second, in particular, cannot be justified.
Reply 212
mipegg
Oh, me too. You a climber or a boulderist?

Im a boulderer, but my friends in the british lead climbing team, so might train for that as well.
:biggrin:
Reply 213
Because I want to get better at kickboxing. And I just passed my red belt for a second time, this time with 3 tabs, so I am getting somewhere. :biggrin:

Also because it is addictive. When I train once a week, I want to do it twice. When I train twice a week, I want to do it 3 times a week. etc, etc. It's the best feeling ever. >.>
Reply 214
Wushu
Im a boulderer, but my friends in the british lead climbing team, so might train for that as well.
:biggrin:

Dont bother mate, just boulder harder. Me too, trying to get good enough for the competition season though.

Grit/lime boulderer?

I just spent a week in the peaks on my own. 2 bags of chalk, my phud mat and new pair of shoes. Was utterly fantastic.

Im typically V6/7 though I have pumped a fair amount of V8s and a couple of 9s after alot of struggle, these new shoes have pushed me more from 6/7 up to 7/8, maybe solid 8 now actually. The first pair of technical shoes Iv had (always gone with comfort in mind before).
I went to the gym for the first time ever after swimming yesterday and i have to say that it is the worst thing ever. It was so boring and artificial. I mean swimming is fun and useful - u can swim to safety if your boat is shipwrecked of if u fall off something into water etc.

Similarly if you can climb you can climb fences/trees etc to get away from tigers, crocs or chavs and people trying to kill you.

My argument is, what use does going to the gym have? It is totally pointless and artificial and has no practical applications whatsoever! IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY and time, and i'm NEVER going to go to a gym again!

Anyone agree/digree with my line of argument? I mean come on, u not going to lift a boulder in an emergency anytime soon so why train for it? What is the POINT of the gym?

/rant over!
Reply 216
ye damn all them tigers chasing me on my way to uni

they ain't even got love for as fellow bengal

we should have mandatory get the **** away from tigers lessons in school
Yeah, being physically fit is SOO overrated :sigh:
Yeah, theres no point in obtaining peak physical fitness, establishing a balanced lifestyle and becoming stronger.
ourlastmemory
Yeah, being physically fit is SOO overrated :sigh:

Awwwww, There are a zillion more exciting ways to get fit: eg running, climbing, swimming, team sports....don't you find going to the gym JUST to becoming physically fit a bit boring?

Quick Reply

Latest