The Student Room Group

Ashford (Middlesex) Test Centre

I've been looking around the forums, there seems to be noone on here that is familiar with this test centre. Has anyone had thier test in ashford, how did you find it and what are the tricky spots?
Reply 1
sweethunni01
I've been looking around the forums, there seems to be noone on here that is familiar with this test centre. Has anyone had thier test in ashford, how did you find it and what are the tricky spots?

there's no carpark there, so it's more than likely that you won't have to reverse park although there is a queit little place they can take you. Theres only about 6 routes in ashford iirc. You park across the road from the building in the town centre down a side road near to some Zebra crossings, quite a few a roads but some are 40's and 50's so important to kep an eye on the speed. there are a few roads that arent all to well marked but have centra reservations instructing you to keep to the left of them that catch one or two people out. An easier place than Slough but I wouldn't let the place count for or against doing the test really..
Reply 2
jaw
there's no carpark there, so it's more than likely that you won't have to reverse park although there is a queit little place they can take you. Theres only about 6 routes in ashford iirc. You park across the road from the building in the town centre down a side road near to some Zebra crossings, quite a few a roads but some are 40's and 50's so important to kep an eye on the speed. there are a few roads that arent all to well marked but have centra reservations instructing you to keep to the left of them that catch one or two people out. An easier place than Slough but I wouldn't let the place count for or against doing the test really..

Did you do your test there? I had the choice of chertsney or ashford, chose ashford because it's been around for longer and it hasn't got a car park (which means I won't have to park into a bay, but will probably still be asked to do reverse parking somewhere). My test is coming up in little over a week and I've been going around ashford a few times now. You said there were 6 possible routes, I thought the same until I found the britanniadriving website which lists a possible 16 different routes :eek: :p: (compared to chertsney which only has 2), so I'm slightly confused as to how many routes there are, one place states 6 and another states 16. Over the next couple of days I'd planned on trying those different routes to get to know the roads better around the area, but not sure how many/which to print out.

Also, OP have you done your test yet or still waiting?
Reply 3
9mm

Did my test a month ago and passed with 3 minors.
Reply 4
sweethunni01
Did my test a month ago and passed with 3 minors.

Congrats :p: I just hope I pass as well because taking a second test during term time won't be as easy. Did you practice on any of the routes beforehand?
9mm
Did you do your test there? I had the choice of chertsney or ashford, chose ashford because it's been around for longer and it hasn't got a car park (which means I won't have to park into a bay, but will probably still be asked to do reverse parking somewhere). My test is coming up in little over a week and I've been going around ashford a few times now. You said there were 6 possible routes, I thought the same until I found the britanniadriving website which lists a possible 16 different routes :eek: :p: (compared to chertsney which only has 2), so I'm slightly confused as to how many routes there are, one place states 6 and another states 16. Over the next couple of days I'd planned on trying those different routes to get to know the roads better around the area, but not sure how many/which to print out.

Do you mean chertsey? It has 18. The 2 other routes are for ADI training
Reply 6
lilangel890
Do you mean chertsey? It has 18. The 2 other routes are for ADI training

yeah sorry I meant chertsey (not sure where that n came from) :p: if that's the case I guess it's not much of a difference.

I just got back from driving for almost 4 hours around and did the first route listed for ashford. It didn't make it easier with rush-hour, but was good practice. I'm not liking the lack of street signs though or the misleading speed signs on convent way or clockhouse lane (which ever it was with the really long narrow bumpy road with small national speed limit signs dotted along the way, I swear that's not right, can't be).

Edit: I just picked up on this a while ago, on the britanniadriving website, for 6 out of the 16 routes stated under Ashford (Middlesex) it says "date last reviewed: nov/dec 2005" and on the other 10 it doesn't say anything, what does that mean? Does it mean those routes are quite ancient/not used anymore? And DVLA's website only lists 5 routes at Ashford (which are the first 5 routes on listed on the britannia driving website, under ashford middlesex).

Another thing, I spent 6 hours straight today driving the routes- I can safely say, juggling map reading, correcting small mistakes in the route directions, looking out for the street signs which were sometimes not easy to see, and being able to drive competently and confidently with the appropriate speed and effective observation and one potential accident all in a place I've never properly driven before has made me a much more competent driver. I've now driven around ashford so many times that even if I was blindfolded and positioned upside down I'd probably still be able to find my bearings. Two things that still scare me though - children walking near/on the road and cyclists at junctions.
Reply 7
Please be aware that Ashford has 21 test routes. The Stanwell route is the worst on with stupid mini roundabouts popping up out of no where.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending