The Student Room Group

Philosophy A Level

I'm starting college in September and I was a little unsure over my fourth option. I'm planning to take Biology, Chemistry and English Literature. For my fourth AS level option I wasn't sure whether to go with Philosophy or Business Studies. I hope to go onto university to study English, hopefully at Oxford or Edinburgh. I just basically wanted to know what people thought about the Philosophy course and what their experiences with it were.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

If your chosing between philosphy and business studies, go for philosophy definitely.

I really want to do it, but it clashes with maths. :frown:
I love it, though it's incredibly basic. It seems to be a bit of a love/hate course.

But it'd probably be more useful in combination with Physics, instead of Biology/Chemistry. For an English degree though, it would certainly be far more relevant than Business Studies.
I did it as a forth too. It's quite relevant if you're doing English Literature-I threw in some of the philosophical concepts we studied into English essays, they hit the A03/A04 objective.
I do Philosophy and I love it. =]]
Go for it.
Reply 5
Thank you, I'll definitely think about going for it :smile:
Reply 6
philosophy sounds really good and i know i really want to take it, but it clashes with my chemistry! :frown:
Reply 7
Take it.

Philosophy and Ethics will end up being one of your best subjects if you have a half decent teacher and you enjoy it.

Majority of those in my class carried it on to Degree level and the rest of us wish we'd chosen it.
Reply 8
I took a chance with it and I'm glad I did because I really loved it at AS and continued it to A2. It probably helped that I had an amazing teacher, but I would always choose it over Business Studies.
Reply 9
Take Philosophy as it can develop your thinking and analytical skills:smile:
I did philosophy at higher and loved it.

It felt really worth while once I had finished the exam.
Reply 11
Philosophy is amazing! I absolutely loved it.
It develops your essay - writing skills, as well as your ability to analyse and come to a balanced conclusion.
I'm doing PPE at uni and then planning on doing a law conversion - the law firm I have my bursary with said that they were most interested in my philosophy a-level as it showed the most diversity.
Philosophy's very interesting, I did it for AS level.. it really opens up your mind to new ways of thinking and different perspectives on important problems/issues in life :smile:
Philosophy was probably my favourite A-Level. Don't get me wrong I loved English but often the hard work and the more difficult parts of the course (such as all this AO business) often sucked the fun out of it. As others have said, it will definitely open your mind (not literally lol) and broaden your horizons. Plus I don't know about anyone else but I found it easier than my other classes-and often our classes were about discussion and debating.
Reply 14
burnttoast
I'm starting college in September and I was a little unsure over my fourth option. I'm planning to take Biology, Chemistry and English Literature. For my fourth AS level option I wasn't sure whether to go with Philosophy or Business Studies. I hope to go onto university to study English, hopefully at Oxford or Edinburgh. I just basically wanted to know what people thought about the Philosophy course and what their experiences with it were.

Thanks.

I enjoyed it. Can't recommend Philosophy highly enough.
I'm taking it for AS in my second year of college (starting September), what are the main topics in the course and what is the main objective of the course?

I.e. in Economics, we study to allocate resources more efficiently and undertake decisions that are most effective in managing economies, businesses and policies. In a sentence what is Philosophy aiming to achieve and what you trying to learn from taking such a subject?

Any comments would be nice
.:excel4100%:.
I'm taking it for AS in my second year of college (starting September), what are the main topics in the course and what is the main objective of the course?

I.e. in Economics, we study to allocate resources more efficiently and undertake decisions that are most effective in managing economies, businesses and policies. In a sentence what is Philosophy aiming to achieve and what you trying to learn from taking such a subject?

Any comments would be nice

It depends on the exam board, but for AQA there are a total of 12 modules, and your school/teacher (or your class, I suppose) chooses 4 that you will study. The topics range from the obvious ones such as Philosophy of Religion, Political Philosophy, Philosophy of Mind and Epistemology (Theory of Knowledge), but there are also some really unusual and unexpected ones such as the Philosophy of Art, which I have no experience with, but which sound interesting.
Xerophelistica
It depends on the exam board, but for AQA there are a total of 12 modules, and your school/teacher (or your class, I suppose) chooses 4 that you will study. The topics range from the obvious ones such as Philosophy of Religion, Political Philosophy, Philosophy of Mind and Epistemology (Theory of Knowledge), but there are also some really unusual and unexpected ones such as the Philosophy of Art, which I have no experience with, but which sound interesting.

Sounds good...i'm actually not too sure what exam board it is, but i have a inclination that it is Edexcel, not 100% sure though

Thanks though
Reply 18
its definaltely a love/hate situation...i mean im doing as level philosophy now and i can see that some people completey hate it and some love it. personally i love getting into arguments with the teacher and i like how everyone listens to your point of view, but some people who dont like to talk so much in lessons struggle and some end up dropping it altogether...if you we good at english language at gcse...you should be fine :smile:
For an English degree: Philosophy > Business Studies
For a Business degree: Philosophy < Business Studies

Philosophy is an excellent subject to have at A-Level in my opinion, especially at a grade A. (Mind you so are most subjects.)

Latest