The Student Room Group

Advice please! Would you invite your other half...

...to a huge family occasion such as a wedding?

My boyfriend of 18 months is pretty shy and as he lives far away has only met my immediate family once. He has met my brother a few more times and they sort of got on (they both made the effort at least).

My brother is getting married in a few months and they want to send my boyfriend an invite. I am really worried about asking my boyfriend to go. I'm head bridesmaid and we would be seated at the top table. I just think it would be a lot of pressure to make him go through meeting my entire family - aunts, uncles, distant relatives, cousins etc especially as I'll be busy helping with everything. Weddings tend to be stressful, large events with my family and while I really want my boyfriend to come, I don't feel right pressuring him in that way.

However I also don't want to let my brother down or for my family to think my boyfriend is rude. I'm sure my family would consider it quite rude as they've offered to pay for his transport and a hotel for the two of us, plus he has never made much effort to meet my family so far. I think my brother would also feel a bit hurt as he has made effort with my boyfriend in the past.

I really don't know what to do. Please help!
I'd invite mine.

If I were you I'd let him know he was invited, but that there was no pressure on him to go if he didn't want to :smile:
Reply 2
I would invite mine, but he's quite social with my family and loves them to bits. Just tell him he's invited and ask him whether he's up for it.
Reply 3
If anything a wedding is a better time for a boyfriend to meet a whole family in one where the attention is not on him, it's on the bride and groom. I'd invite him and suggest he take this opportunity to become closer to your family. Good luck.
You've been dating him for 18 months, I don't see how it would be weird.
I would yeah, for sure. :smile:

Weddings are fun places to be. At least, in my family they are! :biggrin:
Cultural assumption you're both white, it's fine. Ask him if he wants to go.
Reply 7
I'd invite him!
If one of you is Indian, it's a no go! I'm sure everyone supports me when I say this.
I'd invite him but I wouldn't expect him to necessarily come. It'd be up to him!
Anonymous
If one of you is Indian, it's a no go! I'm sure everyone supports me when I say this.

Unless they're already engaged?
Reply 11
Invite him, and prehaps ask a sister or cuz to look after him while you're off doing bridesmaid duties :P
After 18 moths it would be a bit odd not to invite him (unless there're cultural/religious objections) - it's up to him how he RSVP's.
Reply 13
I'd certainly invite him, just let him know that its entirely up to him whether he goes or not.

Latest

Trending

Trending