The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Same here!

Personally, I'm learning my quotes by acts and scenes, because we're expected to know the whole play and by quoting acts/scenes as well, that really shows that :smile:
However, I'm also trying to learn by character as well in case we get quotes in the question that are from within the play and we need to know who's said them. Writing out quotes is about as far as I've got at the moment though lol.

Have you never done a closed-book exam before?! We had to do one at AS, and also there's the pre-1900 poetry on the other half of the paper?!
Reply 2
yar... iv got english othello too.. (aqa) and also war and blake!! (groan) im tryin to revise bt im easily put off wiv other things!! (like this site lol). how u revisin the war one??
I'm just reading through books, poems etc. and picking out quotes I like lol, but I have so many I don't know how I'm going to cut them all down to an amount I can actually learn!

I'm doing Blake as well, but I'm sorted for that, although I think I've actually overlearnt the poems because I'm finding it impossible to write an essay in an hour, could do with two really!
TOP TIP: it's all very well learning key quotes but the absolutely BEST way to revise Othello is to read the play through at least three times, and to watch as many versions of it as possible, as many times as possible. Watch the RSC DVD and read the text along with it. Stick the DVD on in the background whilst you tidy your room. Think about the play whilst you read and watch, and make and learn notes. You'll find you absorb it and will be able to quote liberally and accurately. It's far better than learning select quotes as you maintain a good and thorough idea of the play, rather than a few bits and bobs - thus writing in the exam, under pressure, is much easier.

If you're doing Blake, simply re-read the poems continually, out loud as much as possible. Just take a poem a day or two poems a day, and re-read them throughout that day. Make notes, too, and learn these. Again: absorption and a good grasp will follow pretty well effortlessly.
stupid straw
TOP TIP: it's all very well learning key quotes but the absolutely BEST way to revise Othello is to read the play through at least three times, and to watch as many versions of it as possible, as many times as possible. Watch the RSC DVD and read the text along with it. Stick the DVD on in the background whilst you tidy your room. Think about the play whilst you read and watch, and make and learn notes. You'll find you absorb it and will be able to quote liberally and accurately. It's far better than learning select quotes as you maintain a good and thorough idea of the play, rather than a few bits and bobs - thus writing in the exam, under pressure, is much easier.

If you're doing Blake, simply re-read the poems continually, out loud as much as possible. Just take a poem a day or two poems a day, and re-read them throughout that day. Make notes, too, and learn these. Again: absorption and a good grasp will follow pretty well effortlessly.

Hmm yeah, but I found with Othello that directors and actors take it pretty liberally, missing out whole speeches and misquoting/changing others...although I'll probably try watching it a few more times anyway :biggrin:

Think 29 poems is too much for Blake? I've already learnt 23...I'm just scared of something coming up that I've not prepared for lol.
Reply 6
good luck, its a hard exam.

Make sure you know themes around the text... remember its mainly the style you are after... not just the text, although you do get extra marks for context. Also remember that there is 2 questions and 1 of them is based upon speach/writing make sure you know all you language and style stuff. :smile:

And good luck, its apparently the hardest exam on the sylabus so make sure you have it well revised and up to scratch :wink:
Reply 7
I'm not doing Othello with War and Blake as i'm doing English combined but i find the best way to revise Othello is to make sure i know where each scene is in regarding Othello's downfall and Iago's plan. This way it is easier to reference other scenes with regards to the extract

Also a quick graph of the acts along with Othello's downfall, Iago's manipulation and any other relevant characters can get this clear in your head.

A relationship matrix is also helpful

Hope this helps...
Reply 8
how many quotes have u learned for othello? ive managed to remember 50 mixture of long and short quotes
Reply 9
and so far ive learned 15 blake poems, that should be enough shouldnt it?
Reply 10
sounds like to many to me :wink:
as long as you can remember them though well done :smile:
Hayley Kim
This way it is easier to reference other scenes with regards to the extract

We don't have an extract, but I LOVE the rest of your advice, thanks so much! I'm going to make a few posters based on your ideas to help me lol :biggrin:
Read it lots. See a variety of different film versions to get a feel for different interpretations of character etc. Learn LOTS of quotes. If at all possible, try to find some nice multi-purpose quotes to save yourself time and effort - I did Othello and remember managing to locate several quotes that said something about a character and a theme, and illustrated some useful linguistic feature all at once - you need less if you find these because you can use them for most essays you might get.

Good luck :biggrin:

ZarathustraX
Reply 13
I've read the poem through again (as suggested) and I've made a chronological list of quotations, which has actually been really helpful. I don't have a copy of the RSC version, but I've seen extracts, and watched the Branagh version.

I borrowed a book of critical essays on "Othello" and I found that pretty interesting too - it was also good to read more than just "motive-hunting of a motiveless malignity" from Samuel Taylor-Coleridge!

For Blake, I don't think I could recite many entire poems, but what I've done is pick out really important features of each poem...so I feel like I have a broader knowledge of their content, their themes, where they link in, language/form/structure. I really enjoyed Blake, so have studied/read them far more over the year as a consequence.

And I'm using the "read them daily" approach with War as well.
Reply 14
Listen to Othello along with a cd..it really helps and sticks in ya mind. It also goes very quickly and isn't boring jus reading it without it. After your clear about the play's general stuff like the scenes, then look at your notes...U will probably feel more confident doing that. I've found it helpful
I think learning 29 or 30 poems or whatever is a bit much. You won't have time to talk about that many in the exam. The most you'll be able to comment on in proper and sustained analytic detail will be four or five. Which is not to say that you should only read four or five, or even only learn that amount. I think learning ten or twelve is about right, but you'll find you probably know more than you expect without trying. Re-read all of them several times through.

The trick in the exam is to create a sort of implied hinterland of the other poems around and behind the few poems you discuss - ie. making it suggested or obvious that you also know of the other poems, and what they say, and that your discussion of a particular poem is illustrative of wider things going on.

If you're doing 'Songs of Innocence and of Experience', pick out six pairs of Innocence/Experience poems and just thoroughly learn and analyse them. Re-read the collection through several times, analysing the other poems in some depth as well, so that you have a good idea of them and can make quick links from memory if necessary. But really, make an essential twelve - twelve that you think are important and you have interesting things to say about - your focus for revision.

The exam, I found, was tough only in trying to fit two essays into such a short period of time. Other than that, you should breeze it.
stupid straw
I think learning 29 or 30 poems or whatever is a bit much. You won't have time to talk about that many in the exam. The most you'll be able to comment on in proper and sustained analytic detail will be four or five. Which is not to say that you should only read four or five, or even only learn that amount. I think learning ten or twelve is about right, but you'll find you probably know more than you expect without trying. Re-read all of them several times through.

The trick in the exam is to create a sort of implied hinterland of the other poems around and behind the few poems you discuss - ie. making it suggested or obvious that you also know of the other poems, and what they say, and that your discussion of a particular poem is illustrative of wider things going on.

If you're doing 'Songs of Innocence and of Experience', pick out six pairs of Innocence/Experience poems and just thoroughly learn and analyse them. Re-read the collection through several times, analysing the other poems in some depth as well, so that you have a good idea of them and can make quick links from memory if necessary. But really, make an essential twelve - twelve that you think are important and you have interesting things to say about - your focus for revision.

The exam, I found, was tough only in trying to fit two essays into such a short period of time. Other than that, you should breeze it.

Eeeep I've way overlearnt then. I was just worried about learning too few poems on the same topic... :redface:
Reply 17
for the othello question, they give you two opinions and then you have to say how far you agree with them, and then there is another question as well like how do you think shakespeare has presented othello. what i was wondering is how long you should spend answering each bit? should you spend 1/3 each on the two opinions and the final question??
Freeway
for the othello question, they give you two opinions and then you have to say how far you agree with them, and then there is another question as well like how do you think shakespeare has presented othello. what i was wondering is how long you should spend answering each bit? should you spend 1/3 each on the two opinions and the final question??

I think it depends on the quotation, might get one that's esay to say loads about and another where it's harder to find things. That's what I found in my mock anyway, but at least it makes giving your own opinion easier if you're asked to, because you've already developed your argument a lot :smile:
Reply 19
stupid straw

The exam, I found, was tough only in trying to fit two essays into such a short period of time.

That's very reassuring advice. I like the idea of an "implied hinterland".

One of my favourite Blake poems is "The Chimney Sweeper" - it's such an excellent poem for comparing with the other "Songs" and bringing in context.

Latest

Trending

Trending