The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

To be honest some people just CANNOT be a size 6 - if you're already eating relatively healthily and exercising regularly then there's not a lot you can do. You could go on an extreme diet and exercise every spare minute away but you could make yourself ill. How tall are you? What do you currently weigh?

Im a size 8, and even when I lose weight I dont go below an 8 because of bone structure. If your clothes fit and you're not overweight then maybe try being happy the way you are?

If not then I'd be happy to hear advice from people who are telling you how to get to a 6, because if its anything easy enough I'd be glad to lose a few pounds just now (and I do realise this whole last paragraph sounds hypocritical to the first two parts, but Im not looking to go down to a 6, just looking to lose the extra pounds lol)
Reply 2
I suppose it's possible - I lost over half a stone over the 3 weeks of exams without even trying, but I think that was due to stress.

I'd recommend exercise (swimming, jogging, etc.) regularly, maybe 45 minutes a day or so.
In terms of food, just cut down on snacks. If you have to snack, eat carrots or something. Eating 3 decent sized meals a day (maybe slightly smaller than normal but not ridiculously) will be better in the long term than starving yourself.

Having said all that, size 8 is fine and you should be happy with that, but you probably know that already and other people will doubtless say it.

I'm not an expert or anything so my advice may not be good
If not then I'd be happy to hear advice from people who are telling you how to get to a 6, because if its anything easy enough I'd be glad to lose a few pounds just now

same.
few pounds have crept on in the past few months and i dont like it!
Reply 4
size 6? ew.

i like size 8-10 the best.

you're only wanting advice on how to get worse, so i'll not give you any. though i don't know any either lol
Anonymous
I know people would advise me against this, but I really want to go down to a size 6, and no further. I am currently a size 8 and would love to slim down to a size before college -- so in around 3 weeks.

Anyone have any diet/exercise tips for me?

Thanks

This depends on a huge number of things, not to mention your height, weight etc.

For me, a dress size tends to be about 10-12 pounds, but it may differ for you. I don't think you can lose this much weight that quickly, when you are clearly already small.

If you start dieting (how much do you eat already?), you might lose quite a bit in the first week or two, then it will slow down. You could probably lose half a stone in three weeks, as that would be 2 pounds a week (which is sensible) plus an extra pound that might come off in the first few weeks.

To be perfectly honest, a size 8 is normally quite healthy, and a size 6 normally borders on underweight (depends on a number of factors, of course). Are you sure you need to do this? If you're already quite slim, I'd advise against it. If you are just small, eg 5 foot or something, then it is obviously different.

You probably don't have much fat on you, so I doubt you need to lose weight. Instead you should just tone up, by going to the gym and using weights etc. I'm sure someone on TSR will be of more assistance to you in terms of exercise advice, so I'll leave it to them. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Reply 6
Anonymous
I know people would advise me against this, but I really want to go down to a size 6, and no further. I am currently a size 8 and would love to slim down to a size before college -- so in around 3 weeks.

Anyone have any diet/exercise tips for me?

Thanks

Natalie Cassidy DVD is great

Treadmill 1.5 hrs on an incline burns 1,000 cal.. so you could lose 4 lbs a week
Reply 7
There's a minimum size you can be just because of your bones. You might find that even if you lose so much weight you're skeletal, your bones will still mean you'll be an 8, and it will be a very very unnatractive look. I know this isn't the advice you're looking for, but don't try to lose weight! And if you're really unhappy with your body, try and tone up your muscles a bit instead.
Reply 8
oo_Lucinda_oo
This depends on a huge number of things, not to mention your height, weight etc.

For me, a dress size tends to be about 10-12 pounds, but it may differ for you. I don't think you can lose this much weight that quickly, when you are clearly already small.

If you start dieting (how much do you eat already?), you might lose quite a bit in the first week or two, then it will slow down. You could probably lose half a stone in three weeks, as that would be 2 pounds a week (which is sensible) plus an extra pound that might come off in the first few weeks.

To be perfectly honest, a size 8 is normally quite healthy, and a size 6 normally borders on underweight (depends on a number of factors, of course). Are you sure you need to do this? If you're already quite slim, I'd advise against it. If you are just small, eg 5 foot or something, then it is obviously different.

You probably don't have much fat on you, so I doubt you need to lose weight. Instead you should just tone up, by going to the gym and using weights etc. I'm sure someone on TSR will be of more assistance to you in terms of exercise advice, so I'll leave it to them. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

No I think size is about half a stone which isnt much to lose. ...
Nutta!
No I think size is about half a stone which isnt much to lose. ...

It differs for different people, as I said. For ME, it is around 10 pounds, and even 12 pounds as I could still squeeze into the smaller size.
I don't know anyone who is a size 6 and isn't underweight, so most sensible advice wouldn't be of any use to you.
Reply 11
What's your height/weight?

& current regime if any
& current diet
In 3 weeks, you may not lose anything at all. At a size 8, you're clearly at quite a low body fat percentage anyway. And the smaller you are, the more difficult it is to lose weight. Therefore you may struggle to kick start any sort of weightloss in such a small amount of time.
I suggest you rethink your attitude to your current size. If you've been at a weight or size for a considerable length of time, then your body may well be comfortable at that size/weight and it may not be healthy to lose any more.

The only way to lose weight in 3 weeks is to start a 'crash diet' or a 'fad diet' - both of which can do damage to your health and therefore aren't a sensible approach to take.
Reply 13
What's with the size 6 hatred?
Adonis
Imo, size 6 is fine if you're petite (5'3" and under) but there are so many girls out there who are a size 6 and are underweight for their height, that imo, it isn't a 'sensible' goal to try to acheive. Not to mention the fact that unless you're petite in height a size 6 figure isn't always an attractive one.
Reply 15
jealousy?
Most people wish they could be like at least 2 sizes less than what they currently are, i know i sometimes do, but i think we shud appreciate the way god made us,
Reply 16
Ilora-Danon
Imo, size 6 is fine if you're petite (5'3" and under) but there are so many girls out there who are a size 6 and are underweight for their height, that imo, it isn't a 'sensible' goal to try to acheive. Not to mention the fact that unless you're petite in height a size 6 figure isn't always an attractive one.

As far as I am aware, OP hasn't stated her height

so I feel the "don't do it" comments are a bit premature without this information.

but your concerns are relevant
Adonis
As far as I am aware, OP hasn't stated her height

so I feel the "don't do it" comments are a bit premature without this information.

but your concerns are relevant
Lol. Thanks, my concerns are relevant, I'll sleep soundly tonight knowing that you approve of my concerns for the OP. :p: :p:
Anorexia?
Seriously though, Size 6 usually looks good on people who are naturally that size or under a certain height.
Try and slim yourself that much and it probably would just make you look ill.
Adonis

It's nothing but unattractive with most people.

Latest