The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Hey,
If the English system is like the Scottish student loan system then you should be ok.
I did an HNC & HND at college & got funding for that, then I went into 2nd year at uni & am being funded on this as well. :biggrin:
If you've got any questions contact the people that will fund you & ask them.
Hope this helps :wink:
Generally, The rule is that you're allowed funding for the length of your new course, plus one year, minus any years previously spent in higher education.
Right so on that basis, if I did a 2 year HND that gets me into the second year of a degree which leaves 2 years to get the degree I'd have to fund 1 year my self...
sandwichmonster
Right so on that basis, if I did a 2 year HND that gets me into the second year of a degree which leaves 2 years to get the degree I'd have to fund 1 year my self...

Yep that sounds about right, they work backwards from the year you graduate, so if you're entitled to two years' funding of a three year degree, then they will fund you for years' 3 and 2, and you'd have to fund year 1 yourself.

However, because you have the HND, you will probably be able to apply for 2nd year entry! In which case you wouldn't have to repeat/pay so much money for year one.... so you should be fine.
Reply 5
The calculation LEA's use is slightly different for HND/FD/DipHE -> Degree courses. The calculation is based mainly on the new degree course. There's a few stages to the workings, which I'll outline below:

Step 1 - Determine the standard full duration of the proposed first degree course, which means how long would the degree normally last if you weren't given direct entry. We'll call this number A.

Step 2 - Determine the standard full duration of the previous HND/HNC/DipHE/FD course (preliminary course). These are usually 2 years. Whatever yours turns out to be, we'll call it B for the bit of the workings.

Step 3 - Years spent on preliminary course. This is the length of time it took you to complete the previous course, not including any academic years that you may have had to repeat for compelling personal reasons. It will also take into account any previous higher education study you have undertaken. We will call this C, for a bit of continuity.

Now comes the formula, which I'll express as (X + Y) - C = Standard Entitlement.

X is equal to A or 3, whichever is greater.
If B is less than 3, then Y = 1. If it's greater than 3, then Y = 2.

Put your own numbers into that to give you your standard entitlement, and then allocate the entitlement from the final year of your degree course working backwards until it is all used up. Any years that you cannot allocate entitlement to will mean you cannot get fee support for that year of the course.
Ok so with that if my HND is 2 years and my degree is 3 years we get...

(3+1)-2=2

Does that mean that I'll do my HND on student finance and I've then got 2 years to fund my degree?

That will be fine if I go straight into a second year of a degree but if I have to do the first year then I'll have to fund that first year my self?
Reply 7
That's exactly right. My above post is straight from the LEA guidance. Getting yourself directly into year 2 would make you ok for support. If you did have to repeat any years though you would not be eligible for fee support, unless you had compelling personal reasons.
Hmmm best make sure I work hard then n not go to too many parties!! lol

Cheers :biggrin:
Reply 9
[QUOTE="sandwichmonster;16839134"]Hello,

I've been looking at doing a degree in Electronic Engineering as a mature student and may need to do something like a HND before I can be accepted for by a university.

If I did a full time HND would I still be eligible for student finance to cover course's fees and living expenses?[/QUOTE

Yes im doing a HND and receiving student finance i used this site to find a course local to me www.studentcoursefinder.co.uk .There was actually more options out there than i thought

Latest

Trending

Trending