The Student Room Group

Kei's Journey to AAAA (GYG 2017-18)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Original post by 04MR17
With the new qualification reforms, use whatever you can lay your hands on.:sadnod:

:cry: it'll have to do...
Reply 601
Ahhhh... Where has February gone?? I swear it was literally January a little while ago...

Anyways, seeing as it's the end of February, I might as well review my 2018 goals (although to be completely honest, I haven't really followed them :tongue:)

But to those of you who don't know what I want to achieve in 2018, here are my goals:

try not to eat too much #glutton

spend more time with my friends

reduce my screen time (goodbye, YouTube and Instagram and Facebook and other forms of social media)

'exercise' more (this includes the daily walks )

get to Grade 3 on the violin

give 100% for AS levels and hope for the best on Results Day (previously: get at least AABB for AS levels)

does avoiding distractions count??

get up to speed with Japanese and keep reviewing Spanish vocab and grammar via Duolingo/Memrise

For my first goal, I think I am having constant cheat days. The main reason for this is probably Chinese New Year, which, to me, is synonymous with CNY snacks!! So there goes my non-existent waistline to the deepest darkest pits of no waistline-land.
Next goal... I went out once this month? I actually can't remember exactly but I definitely went out at least once this month :colondollar:
Screen time... I downloaded an app on my phone called Space and so far, it has been somewhat helpful I guess... The time I spend on my phone has somewhat decreased.
As for exercise, I still play tennis :colondollar: (albeit badly) but the daily walks have dwindled down to weekly walks :sigh: Oh, :hi: to my ever-expanding waistline.
I have finally finished learning the Grade 2 pieces!! :woo: However, I'm still not practising enough.
I will be completely honest. I have NOT been revising and putting in as much as I should. Like, this entire week, I haven't done my homework at all and I've spent all my evenings after school rewatching an old drama :colondollar:
Japanese isn't going very well but I do have a 50+ day streak on Duolingo, if that counts :colondollar: Recently, I've restarted Memrise but so far, it's not been going very well.

So... that's my February in a nutshell. I really need to put these goals up somewhere so that I can actually remind myself to work and just stop slacking!

Not tagging today... it's not really a proper update :biggrin:
Original post by nyxnko_
Another boring update...

My teachers are weirdly in sync since they always seem to set tests right after one another so that I end up having like 5 tests in a week. (Just kidding!! It’s more like 2/3…) So I just received my unofficial organic chemistry mock test back and I got 40/43, which isn’t much given there were no mechanisms :sad: and the mistakes I made were small ones, like using the wrong word or misunderstanding the question. I also got back my energetics test (I’m feeling so energetic :tongue: Wanna One anyone?) and I got 58/59!! Now this, I feel deserves a :party: smilie, if only because I have NEVER gotten such a high score in Chemistry before!! I’ve also just done the proof by induction test, which went really well, and the electric current test, which didn’t go so well (I forgot the definition of resistivity :s-smilie:), so I’ve got those to look forward to :biggrin:

Other random stuff: I practised the violin yesterday, which I haven’t done in like a month :colondollar: and I went out for a walk again :biggrin: Recently, I’ve been trying to up my step count but I don’t think it’ll do wonders for my physical health :tongue:

A really random thing: I told my friend that I’ve never really listened to Beyoncé before so she told me to just go and listen to some of her music but so far, I’ve switched on the Beyoncé artist radio on Spotify but most of the songs on there are actually not Beyoncé songs :laugh:

I always go off on a tangent when I’m on here :s-smilie: Going back to school stuff, some bad news is that we are NOT going to get a FM2 textbook until AFTER AS exams, or at least that’s what my FM teacher said :frown: So here’s to just guessing what’s going to come on the exam :cry: I’m sure they can’t expect us to do well if we don’t even have any idea what’s going to come on the test, right? :cry: Arghhhhhhhhhh!!

Oh, and I forgot to mention my school are making us start writing personal statements… only I have no idea what to even put on mine. I don’t really have any hobbies or stuff that I can use to show that I’m dedicated to NatSci… I mean, I can hardly put editing the school magazine and being an avid pianist to show that I am passionate about NatSci. I know someone will recommend that I read TSR’s sample personal statements for NatSci but my teachers have actually said they DO NOT want us to read TSR’s personal statements because it is just so tempting to copy off those. Deliberately disobeying orders, I have looked at them anyway but I hardly think I’m up to par with the people who wrote them :cry2:

Anyways, I hope the rest of my week goes well and that you guys have better weeks that I do :biggrin:

Ta-ta,
Kei

Listening to Beyoncé’s Irreplaceable: https://open.spotify.com/track/6RX5iL93VZ5fKmyvNXvF1r?si=jIyoYIuZR02jXncKmH1p2A

Spoiler

Sorry I took ages, but wanted to message to say those test scores are both FANTASTIC! Well done :biggrin:

And I don't think your updates are boring in the slightest :no:
Reply 603
Original post by Labrador99
Sorry I took ages, but wanted to message to say those test scores are both FANTASTIC! Well done :biggrin:

And I don't think your updates are boring in the slightest :no:

It's okay!!
Thank you!! :hugs:
If you say so :laugh:
yaaay your goals are brilliant!
ugh I need to hop back on the Memrise/Duolingo bandwagon:s-smilie: I keep forgetting about it!
I’m trying to reduce my screen time...may download that app; it’s getting a bit depressing seeing that I’m on my phone for 2hours at least every day:frown: (I have an app called moment which just tells me how long I’ve spent on it!)
Uhhh you seem to have walked pretty far on your sport relief blog!
Maybe stick them on your wall?:tongue:
I'd forgotten how much I love this blog:biggrin:
Decided to abandon the geography revision for half an hour to catch up on everyone's blogs:redface: Hope you're well and feeling a bit less meh (but if it's any consolation holy moly dude well done on that maths test:h:)
Side note: your posts are literally the opposite of boring they're pretty damn rad if I do say so myself
Reply 606
Original post by Toastiekid
yaaay your goals are brilliant!
ugh I need to hop back on the Memrise/Duolingo bandwagon:s-smilie: I keep forgetting about it!
I’m trying to reduce my screen time...may download that app; it’s getting a bit depressing seeing that I’m on my phone for 2hours at least every day:frown: (I have an app called moment which just tells me how long I’ve spent on it!)
Uhhh you seem to have walked pretty far on your sport relief blog!
Maybe stick them on your wall?:tongue:

dw :hugs: you're not the only one. I keep skipping days so my longest streak on Memrise is only 10 days :colondollar: It's 57 days on Duolingo, but I've got a streak freeze in place :tongue:
ooh... will check that out! does it work?
I walk pretty far but I don't exercise all that much :tongue:
Yeah, but most of my wall is full of mindmaps and random facts and mechanisms... you get me! My point is... my wall's already full so maybe the inside of wardrobe? idk... will definitely find a spot tho :biggrin:

Original post by troubletracking
I'd forgotten how much I love this blog:biggrin:
Decided to abandon the geography revision for half an hour to catch up on everyone's blogs:redface: Hope you're well and feeling a bit less meh (but if it's any consolation holy moly dude well done on that maths test:h:)
Side note: your posts are literally the opposite of boring they're pretty damn rad if I do say so myself

I'm guessing you're back to geography revision now :biggrin: if not, :fuhrer: DO YOUR WORK!!
I always feel a little meh when I'm left to think on my own :redface:
Thank you!! :hugs: I wouldn't go so far to say they're rad tho :wink:
Reply 607
:hi: It feels like it's been a LONG time since my last proper update!
Honestly, I've done nothing good since then. If I wasn't binge-watching/re-watching an old Hong Kong drama, then I was playing Alto's Adventure (which, btw, is fab) or I was binge-reading some GYGs that have suddenly popped up these last few weeks :tongue: Still, that's all and good but I have a ton of homework from the weekend that I haven't even made a dent in yet, as well as two core practical write-ups due :argh: I'm low-key regretting that procrastination.

If I'm to be pedantic, I can say I made a decent mindmap with absolutely no colour coordination (see below) and I did manage to get through some FM questions but otherwise, I've not done much work and I've completely neglected Chemistry and Maths, which is okay for now, given that I've paid a lot of attention to those 2 subjects.

28536047_1972049839729090_1913419569_n.jpg

Something that really stood out to me was the fact that everyone in the Oxbridge support group in my school are so prepared. They've written half the first draft of the personal statements (whereas I've not even written a word) and they've read so many books (whereas I've not even finished one) :cry: I really need to stop my procrastination and just get on with it!!

But... it's not all bad. I got a 4 day streak on Memrise :woo: and having @Toastiekid on my leaderboard really helps to motivate me to go and overtake her :tongue: I've also been walking quite a bit these few days, mainly because I just feel that staying cooped up at home really isn't the answer to anything.

Welp, it's time for me to go and do some work! May you have a productive week too!!

Ta-ta,
Kei

Tags :love:

Spoiler

Original post by nyxnko_
dw :hugs: you're not the only one. I keep skipping days so my longest streak on Memrise is only 10 days :colondollar: It's 57 days on Duolingo, but I've got a streak freeze in place :tongue:
ooh... will check that out! does it work?
I walk pretty far but I don't exercise all that much :tongue:
Yeah, but most of my wall is full of mindmaps and random facts and mechanisms... you get me! My point is... my wall's already full so maybe the inside of wardrobe? idk... will definitely find a spot tho :biggrin:

I'm guessing you're back to geography revision now :biggrin: if not, :fuhrer: DO YOUR WORK!!
I always feel a little meh when I'm left to think on my own :redface:
Thank you!! :hugs: I wouldn't go so far to say they're rad tho :wink:

57 days?! Wow:biggrin:
Um given I’m on my phone right now I’d say no:h:
Just write it on your forehead:biggrin:
Also on the oxbridge front, I’m sure you’re more prepared than you realise and omg that poster is beautiful. Why does everyone on tsr have such lovely handwriting?!
yaaaay Memrise squadddd
Reply 609
57 days?! Wow:biggrin:
Um given I’m on my phone right now I’d say no:h:
Just write it on your forehead:biggrin:
Also on the oxbridge front, I’m sure you’re more prepared than you realise and omg that poster is beautiful. Why does everyone on tsr have such lovely handwriting?!
yaaaay Memrise squadddd

:biggrin: Streak freezes :yep:
:laugh: It just makes me spend more time on my laptop
My forehead's a bit too small... :tongue:
Thank you!! I think I'm not but thanks for saying I am..
That poster is messy... the words are on top of the arrows, which annoys me... That's my neat handwriting. You haven't seen my messy one :laugh: I don't think I've seen yours but it must be quite pretty too
:woo:
Original post by nyxnko_
:biggrin: Streak freezes :yep:
:laugh: It just makes me spend more time on my laptop
My forehead's a bit too small... :tongue:
Thank you!! I think I'm not but thanks for saying I am..
That poster is messy... the words are on top of the arrows, which annoys me... That's my neat handwriting. You haven't seen my messy one :laugh: I don't think I've seen yours but it must be quite pretty too
:woo:

You wouldn’t have to write it that big on your forehead plus everyone would then comment on it forcing you to remember it:biggrin:
It is not messy.
Mine is a sorta scrawl, I’m left handed and grip my pen really weirdly which means I can only write in this one pen if I want to actually read what I’ve written (r.i.p beautiful gel pens:frown:)
Loving the poster girll xx
Reply 612
You wouldn’t have to write it that big on your forehead plus everyone would then comment on it forcing you to remember it:biggrin:
It is not messy.
Mine is a sorta scrawl, I’m left handed and grip my pen really weirdly which means I can only write in this one pen if I want to actually read what I’ve written (r.i.p beautiful gel pens:frown:)

sorry for the late reply!!
true but the last time I tried to write on my face, it smudged really badly and I ended up looking like a half panda
it is.
oh dear... have you tried correcting your pen grip? sometimes, it really helps. gel pens are okay once you leave them for a few seconds but ink pens :cry2:

Original post by Lilsthebest
Loving the poster girll xx

Thank You!!
Original post by nyxnko_
sorry for the late reply!!
true but the last time I tried to write on my face, it smudged really badly and I ended up looking like a half panda
it is.
oh dear... have you tried correcting your pen grip? sometimes, it really helps. gel pens are okay once you leave them for a few seconds but ink pens :cry2:

Thank You!!

Yeah, I have lmao I used one of those weird pens with the lumps in but it ended up really irritating me:colondollar: omg I used a fountain pen once...what a mistake!! I’ll post a photo of my handwriting for you to inspect:biggrin:
Reply 614
Yeah, I have lmao I used one of those weird pens with the lumps in but it ended up really irritating me:colondollar: omg I used a fountain pen once...what a mistake!! I’ll post a photo of my handwriting for you to inspect:biggrin:

no! lumpy pens are disgusting! I can imagine!! :lol:
it can't be that bad :redface:
Original post by nyxnko_
no! lumpy pens are disgusting! I can imagine!! :lol:
it can't be that bad :redface:

hmmmm...
Reply 616
hmmmm...

to be fair, I've never seen your handwriting. :lol:
Reply 617
I reckon it’s been a pretty good 2 days since my last post. I mean, I haven’t really done much but still, it’s been okay.

Let’s start with grades! :tongue: I got my Proof by Induction test back and aced it with 43/45. A stupid mistake but it’s okay. I’m not too fussed about whether I get full marks or not. In fact, I think it’s better if I drop a few marks… less pressure! :wink: I also got my Physics Chapter 12 test back with a score of 45/49. It’s really stupid because there’s a one marker where I had clearly gotten the answer but WROTE THE WRONG ANSWER ON THE DOTTED LINE!! :banghead: Oh well, I can’t do anything about it now.

Moving on, I have now stopped playing Alto’s Adventure (or well, I’ve stopped binge-playing Alto’s Adventure) but I keep going on to TSR and Memrise and Duolingo and social media and all that and I keep getting distracted, especially by my friends in school. I don’t think I’ve done anything productive in my frees since last term :sigh: which is starting to be concerning.

On the plus side, I have finished the course for AS Physics :woo: which means REVISION!! :work: That’s good because we’ve still got around 2 months until our exams so we can get loads of reviewing in!! Also, we just finished Inorganic Chemistry (we're already done with Organic Chemsitry) and we’ve only got 2 chapters of Physical left, which is great! :yay: I’m just hoping we finish Maths and FM soon, because then we can go over all the hard stuff.

Recently, we’ve just been doing core practicals over and over again. I’ve got 2 physics write-ups and a chemistry write-up due AND we’re supposed to do another chem core practical next week. But it’s okay. These physics write-ups are the last ones I have to do this year :party2:

Well, today, I’ve gone out for a walk and that’s about it. I’ve also done some summary questions and I’ve attached the photo (I thought it would be cool to take it at a different angle so it looks a little weird :colondollar:) Btw, can you tell I used brown pen instead of black?

28721565_1973018979632176_333442814_n.jpg

Waitttt... I forgot to mention that we finished a STEP question yesterday, as in completely finished and completed and everything!! :woo: Well, it was quite an easy question :tongue: but I feel so accomplished!! And, the best part is we beat the Year 13s to it!!

Anyways, hope you have a great week!!

Ta-ta,
Kei
(edited 6 years ago)
Finishing a STEP question whatever the difficulty is an accomplishment :yay:
Your test scores are so great, you're smashing this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Finishing a STEP question whatever the difficulty is an accomplishment :yay:
Your test scores are so great, you're smashing this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes! Kei is smashing this! Go girl :dance:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending