The Student Room Group

The Pursuit of A*s - A Year 12 GYG, 2020/2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bookausten
Week Two!

Hi, hello! I can't believe it's been one whole week already, it feels like it was Monday yesterday! As a result, all the days have blurred into one! But I'll do my best to recap :")

History
We do more of the British Empire than America in a week, but everything is super interesting! We looked at Britain's empire in 1857, and finished our introduction into American politics before the real content begins! It's a fascinating new way of teaching, though, that I can't quite explain. I actually met a new friend in History this week, which is really reassuring; I'm meeting new people every day!

Maths
Test on Monday, woo! I think it will be okay, I'm not terrible at the topics! Although I spotted an error in the solutions to our independent study task this week- for simultaneous equations there was: x - 3y +1 =0 and I rearranged it to be: x= 3y - 1, but the teacher made it to be x = 1 + 3y so now I'm confused hahah

Spanish:
I'm not going to lie, I think my Spanish is improving! A little at a time, but I think I'm more comfortable with speaking in a classroom now :") It seems that the girl who is fluent also hates the exam question style so at least we're all in the same boat haha! I wish I had more to say, but we didn't actually do anything very exciting,

Other:
I have to go to a new student meeting on Tuesday to allow the staff to catch up with us, which will be interesting! We also chose our volunteering options -- I'm going to support and care for the elderly, I hopefully want to end up with giving some gift boxes to them for Christmas! Also, sidenote, I have a round bump on one of my hands, right underneath my third knuckle. Everyone around me says it's just a pronounced vein but I'm not sure why it's a spherical bump rather than just the vein itself - probably overreacting, but it happens in a health crisis haha.

Tags!

Spoiler

Ahh I'm glad you had a good week! Lol Spanish is going alright for me to and my wack af teacher omg today he literally said as soon as he walked in "girls stop comparing your hw your like guys when they compare-oh wait I shouldnt say😏" I was literally crying all lesson it was so funny lmaoo
Week Two!

Hi, hello! I can't believe it's been one whole week already, it feels like it was Monday yesterday! As a result, all the days have blurred into one! But I'll do my best to recap :")

History
We do more of the British Empire than America in a week, but everything is super interesting! We looked at Britain's empire in 1857, and finished our introduction into American politics before the real content begins! It's a fascinating new way of teaching, though, that I can't quite explain. I actually met a new friend in History this week, which is really reassuring; I'm meeting new people every day!

Maths
Test on Monday, woo! I think it will be okay, I'm not terrible at the topics! Although I spotted an error in the solutions to our independent study task this week- for simultaneous equations there was: x - 3y +1 =0 and I rearranged it to be: x= 3y - 1, but the teacher made it to be x = 1 + 3y so now I'm confused hahah

Spanish:
I'm not going to lie, I think my Spanish is improving! A little at a time, but I think I'm more comfortable with speaking in a classroom now :") It seems that the girl who is fluent also hates the exam question style so at least we're all in the same boat haha! I wish I had more to say, but we didn't actually do anything very exciting,

Other:
I have to go to a new student meeting on Tuesday to allow the staff to catch up with us, which will be interesting! We also chose our volunteering options -- I'm going to support and care for the elderly, I hopefully want to end up with giving some gift boxes to them for Christmas! Also, sidenote, I have a round bump on one of my hands, right underneath my third knuckle. Everyone around me says it's just a pronounced vein but I'm not sure why it's a spherical bump rather than just the vein itself - probably overreacting, but it happens in a health crisis haha.

Tags!

Spoiler

The British Empire is soooo interesting :woo:
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Your maths solution is correct :wink:
Also I wouldn't worry too much about your bump, it doesn't sound like anything malignant, but if it persists you can always contact your GP for piece of mind :smile:

ahhh thank you so much!! really appreciate you saying that :")
Original post by H4ttie03
Ahh I'm glad you had a good week! Lol Spanish is going alright for me to and my wack af teacher omg today he literally said as soon as he walked in "girls stop comparing your hw your like guys when they compare-oh wait I shouldnt say😏" I was literally crying all lesson it was so funny lmaoo

ahhaha that's hilarious!! the funnier he makes it, the more likely it is you'll remember it i suppose! :biggrin: my spanish teacher is my more serious ahah
Original post by neko no basu
The British Empire is soooo interesting :woo:

oooh did you study it?
ahhaha that's hilarious!! the funnier he makes it, the more likely it is you'll remember it i suppose! :biggrin: my spanish teacher is my more serious ahah

Lmaooo true, my other spansih teacher is also more serious which is good as I get more work done lol
oooh did you study it?

not at school :cry:but by myself, kind of?
I feel the same about how fast this week has gone - it's crazy!

Volunteering for the elderly sounds really cool - hopefully you'll enjoy it and get some good experience out of it :smile:

Hope you have a good weekend! :woo:
not at school :cry:but by myself, kind of?

ooh that's still amazing! what was the most interesting part to you?
Original post by Becca216
I feel the same about how fast this week has gone - it's crazy!

Volunteering for the elderly sounds really cool - hopefully you'll enjoy it and get some good experience out of it :smile:

Hope you have a good weekend! :woo:

glad i'm not the only one :biggrin:
i hope so! we start next week, so hopefully i'll have a lot more to say in my next update :")
thanks so much, you too! <3
Good Morning, People! :bored:

I noticed that I haven't really posted anything about study recently so let's catch up real quick:

Yesterday, I did most of my outstanding homework: mostly history and spanish. I had to write a 500 word synopsis about how the American gov stops people from gaining too much power (imo there are some flaws sitting around like exec. orders and how the death of RBG has sent everyone into a frenzy - how is that democracy?:iiam: ) and I had to do some translations and reading exercises for Spanish. I've also started listening to Alvaro Soler, and I can see why Sofia is so popular haha it's really catchy!
I left today solely for maths, i.e surds, algebraic fractions, and simultaneous equations practice. I think that I actually overcomplicated surds in my head, the hardest thing about them is thinking up the highest square number to simplify (e.g, for numbers like 486) but we only need to know as far as rationalising the denominator, which is great! :woohoo: Glad I saw it at GCSE so I could definitely follow along.
Although in class, I am so bad at being picked on. It's like I'm following along just fine, and then BOOM she asks me to answer the question and my brain short circuits. And then I feel bad for disturbing the flow of the class haha. :doh:

That also reminds me! My mighty four person Spanish class were waiting to go into the classroom after break, when some Year 7s came along wondering where their teacher was. After a quick timetable check from my teacher and a quick look around, we found her in a classroom down the hallway -- only, it was the classroom we were timetabled for!
So, logically, it was a good plan to go to the classroom that this teacher was supposed to be in, right?
Wrong! :eek4:
There was a class in there too!
So we had to work outside for ten minutes while our teacher went to find some empty classrooms. When she did, we had to cross the entire school!
But then we finished our lesson in an actual classroom so yay :h:
Today, I'm going to plan to complete all of the above and then a few extras would be:
:bebored:To make a spanish quizlet with some vocab we were given on Thursday.
:bebored:To rewrite this week's American History notes
:bebored:To write some maths notes on simultaneous equations.

Tags, glorious tags!
(again, lemme know if you're in or out!)

Spoiler

ooh that's still amazing! what was the most interesting part to you?

I haven't really looked at it that much 😅 but I did this online course on the British Empire which was pretty interesting
I looked a bit at British colonisation in places like Kenya and Hong Kong which was pretty cool ig :awesome:

I noticed that I haven't really posted anything about study recently so let's catch up real quick:

Yesterday, I did most of my outstanding homework: mostly history and spanish. I had to write a 500 word synopsis about how the American gov stops people from gaining too much power (imo there are some flaws sitting around like exec. orders and how the death of RBG has sent everyone into a frenzy - how is that democracy?:iiam: ) and I had to do some translations and reading exercises for Spanish. I've also started listening to Alvaro Soler, and I can see why Sofia is so popular haha it's really catchy!
I left today solely for maths, i.e surds, algebraic fractions, and simultaneous equations practice. I think that I actually overcomplicated surds in my head, the hardest thing about them is thinking up the highest square number to simplify (e.g, for numbers like 486) but we only need to know as far as rationalising the denominator, which is great! :woohoo: Glad I saw it at GCSE so I could definitely follow along.
Although in class, I am so bad at being picked on. It's like I'm following along just fine, and then BOOM she asks me to answer the question and my brain short circuits. And then I feel bad for disturbing the flow of the class haha. :doh:

That also reminds me! My mighty four person Spanish class were waiting to go into the classroom after break, when some Year 7s came along wondering where their teacher was. After a quick timetable check from my teacher and a quick look around, we found her in a classroom down the hallway -- only, it was the classroom we were timetabled for!
So, logically, it was a good plan to go to the classroom that this teacher was supposed to be in, right?
So we had to work outside for ten minutes while our teacher went to find some empty classrooms. When she did, we had to cross the entire school!
Today, I'm going to plan to complete all of the above and then a few extras would be:

Tags, glorious tags!

Spoiler

Lmaoo that classroom situo sounds annoying, my spanish class started at 5 including me and is now down to 3 including me lol
please tag me :biggrin:
I haven't really looked at it that much 😅 but I did this online course on the British Empire which was pretty interesting
I looked a bit at British colonisation in places like Kenya and Hong Kong which was pretty cool ig :awesome:

oooh i see!! we've just started looking at Africa (Egypt)'s colonisation
Lmaoo that classroom situo sounds annoying, my spanish class started at 5 including me and is now down to 3 including me lol

it was a little bit haha,,,
oh my goodness!! that's crazy! we have three students too, including me. all the better for speaking practice though!
Original post by clouddbubbles
please tag me :biggrin:

of course! :biggrin:
it was a little bit haha,,,
oh my goodness!! that's crazy! we have three students too, including me. all the better for speaking practice though!

Hahaha yes, tbh I prefer having less ppl as you can go through things quicker etc
Hahaha yes, tbh I prefer having less ppl as you can go through things quicker etc

completely agree!!

Tags, glorious tags!

Spoiler

ahhhhh surds.....I don't really like them, but I do think they are easier at alevel thann gcse:redface:

The classroom situation is annoying, hopefully it will settle down of the coming weeks.

Good luck with your to-do list for today!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending