The Student Room Group

Car Alarm and immobiliser won't deactivate!

Hi, bought a Vauxhall Corsa model year 2000. It has a GT autoalarm fitted and yesterday the one key fob I got with it was working sometimes and sometimes it didnt so I stopped using it and started opening that car normally using the key. I parked it at home yesterday and it was all fine went in and slept and when I woke up today and opened the car normally the alarm went beserk. Remote key fob won't deactivate the alarm and if I ignore the alarm hop in and turn the ignition on the immobiliser shuts it down. Now I cant drive my car and its sunday and no one can do anything about it :woo:

can the AA do anything about it? or does anybody know what I can do?

Oh yeah I tried changing the battery of the remote key fob and the light on the key fob is working but the car is not responding. I need help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So your car alarm is currently going berserk and won't stop going off? Or has it stopped now?
Reply 2
shake da key son!
Reply 3
rummang
So your car alarm is currently going berserk and won't stop going off? Or has it stopped now?

No the alarm goes beserk only when I open the door :frown:
Reply 4
rusticated
shake da key son!

I have shaked the key :frown:
Reply 5
Is it a RF key? (Doesn't have to be pointed straight at the car, won't have a small 'bulb' like thing sticking out the end). Did this start after you changed the batteries? If the answer to both is yes, changing the batteries may have wiped the code to disable the alarm, though I wouldn't have thought it would affect the immobiliser - unless the alarm and immobiliser are linked. I'm afraid I don't know how to recode Corsa keys.
CurlyBen
Is it a RF key? (Doesn't have to be pointed straight at the car, won't have a small 'bulb' like thing sticking out the end). Did this start after you changed the batteries? If the answer to both is yes, changing the batteries may have wiped the code to disable the alarm, though I wouldn't have thought it would affect the immobiliser - unless the alarm and immobiliser are linked. I'm afraid I don't know how to recode Corsa keys.

This is what I was thinking. I think you need to contact your local dealer to sort it out - Don't know though! I lost the keys to me 99 Vauxhall Corsa and was told only the dealer could work with key problems.
Unfortunatly, the only google answers I can find are vague, unrelated or "Go to your dealer"

The closest I got was the ignition not responding (ie the ignition wouldn't turn) and the answer to that was "Dealer needs to fit a new ignition barrel".

Sorry OP!!
Reply 8
it sounds as if the fob has become uncoded from the car somehow. i'm gathering that the key still fits into the ignition and still turns, so you don't need a new barrel...

you just need your keys and alarm recoding to the car. obviously you car is thinking you are trying to start it with a blank key, which is why the immobiliser won't go off... so unfortunately only a vauxhall dealer can fix it. unless it's an after market alarm, which could prove harder to recode.
Reply 9
Yeah it's an after market alarm. The fob deactivates the alarm and opens the lock (remote central lock), so that has stopped working. I tried openning the door using the Key and the alarm goes off, if I shut the door and stay out of the car the alarm stops if I hop in the car and put the key in ignition and turn the car on it starts and then shuts off itself because of the stupid alarm.

My neighbour saw me struggling with it earlier on and he suggested a place that would sort the problem out but I can't get it to the place. So I am going to call the AA see if they can do anything tomorrow and if they can't the can take my car to this place that can fix it. Or I might go see the guy maybe he'll come home to fix it?

Anyway thanks for any help I'll keep you lot updated!
if it's an after market alarm is it possible to disconnect the alarm? and is the immobilizer factory fitted?
Reply 11
Mattgeezer
if it's an after market alarm is it possible to disconnect the alarm? and is the immobilizer factory fitted?

I don't know how to disconnect the alarm and it looks quite complicated so am just getting someone to look at it. I am not sure but I think the alarm is manufacture fitted but linked up with the alarm system because it has been fitted in the original garage that the car was bought from. I found the lifetime warranty paper for the alarm and the garage that fitted the alarm it's a reg vardy about 10 mile from my house. I called in today and they've got no one other than sales staff in so I have to wait until tuesday if I am going to sort it out that way.
Just to warn you, the AA won't take your car anywhere. I asked them to take my Corsa to the dealer, and they said because it was on my property already, they had no reason to remove it from such and it was my own responsbility to get it to the dealer.
Reply 13
Spotty Dog
Just to warn you, the AA won't take your car anywhere. I asked them to take my Corsa to the dealer, and they said because it was on my property already, they had no reason to remove it from such and it was my own responsbility to get it to the dealer.

Ahh.. Thanks, I just called them anyway to see if they can do anything about it and they're sending someone over to have a look. Thanks though :smile:
Reply 14
Problem solved, the AA man came over and spent about half an hour messing with the system and he finally managed to bypass the alarm and remove the alarm for good! thanks for all the input I appreciate it :smile:
Reply 15
How is removing the alarm a positive thing?

That's a bodge not a fix.
Reply 16
JC.
How is removing the alarm a positive thing?

That's a bodge not a fix.

It's a very old system and I've spent literally all of my money on the car and insurance. It would of cost me quite a bit to get a professional down to fix it. I'll be getting a new alarm system by october hopefully when I'll have enough money. Any recommended alarm systems?
kinglrb
It's a very old system and I've spent literally all of my money on the car and insurance. It would of cost me quite a bit to get a professional down to fix it. I'll be getting a new alarm system by october hopefully when I'll have enough money. Any recommended alarm systems?

I think you need to inform your insurance company that your alarm has been perminantly removed - If they find it has and you didn't declare it, it voids your insurance.
Reply 18
kinglrb

So long as it's "thatcham approved" they are very much of a muchness tbh.

I have installed a kill switch to the petrol pump on my car. If a thief does get in and hotwire it, they'll only get 100 yards down the road untill the fuel in the carb float chamber has been burned off.
I'm not going to state where the kill switch is, though, for obvious reasons.
Reply 19
Spotty Dog
I think you need to inform your insurance company that your alarm has been perminantly removed - If they find it has and you didn't declare it, it voids your insurance.

I never told my insurance company about the Car Alarm, I was filling the form online and I didnt know much about the alarm so I put in as no alarm. Thanks though!

Latest

Trending

Trending