The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
I'm sure if they have space they do.

From my own experience last year I was a fresher at a different university and wanted to transfer to UCL. By email conversation I was told by the head of the department (for what I wanted to do at the time) he didn't have space for that year but would give me an unconditional for the following year if I applied by UCAS.

My advice would be to email the head of the department you want to transfer to and explain your situation, you'll get the best answer that way! :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply! Which uni were u at originally then?
Reply 3
thepinkpowerranger
I'm sure if they have space they do.

From my own experience last year I was a fresher at a different university and wanted to transfer to UCL. By email conversation I was told by the head of the department (for what I wanted to do at the time) he didn't have space for that year but would give me an unconditional for the following year if I applied by UCAS.

My advice would be to email the head of the department you want to transfer to and explain your situation, you'll get the best answer that way! :smile:

I plan to transfer from Warwick to UCL 2nd year for civil engineering as well. ChemEng90, are you jst about to start 1st year at QM or you're in 2nd year? it's good to know there's people in the same situtation.

And thepinkpowerranger, which department are you studying now at UCL? Did you have to start from 1st year again or continue with 2nd/3rd year? I was told that the chances of 2nd year transfer is really slim, and i MIGHT have to start 1st year civil engineering at UCL if i were to transfer.

One of my friends asked the computer science dept admin tutor abt transfer from QM to UCL. He replied him stating that there are 3 main conditions:

1) You will have to meet their new/current A-Level entry requirement for the new intake.
2) The first year materials must cover the same materials as of UCL's with good grades.
3) The whole 2nd year cohort must have a vacancy if you were to transfer.

And that is why very few applicants are able to do so. I have already met the 1st condition for civil engr entry req. I just hope my current uni will have the same materials as UCL's. ):
I was at Loughborough. I left after a month so I'm starting from scratch... I changed my course as well, to Mechanical engineering.
Bump?
Reply 6
is royal holloways/queen marys psychology curriculum similar to UCL because i plan on transferring soon
Reply 7
Original post by glasses
is royal holloways/queen marys psychology curriculum similar to UCL because i plan on transferring soon

omg me too, i'm studying psychology at qm and i want to transfer to ucl
Reply 8
hello there... did you succeed in the transfer eventually ? wish you would reply. and if yes so please tell me what u did.
i wanted to transfer from my university but was told the course was too full for a second year transfer, and the UCAS deadline had past for an application into their first year. Likely for me, a very similar course was available through UCAS Extra and my application for that got accepted.

So i think it depends on the availability and numbers of the course.

That said, you should obviously meet the course requirements and achieve a 2.1 or higher if you wish to transfer into the second year.
Reply 10
I missed the UCAS deadline, is it still possible to transfer to UCL civil engineering course???
Hi i'm planning to transfer from warwick to ucl too and I'm a second year student. I don't know where to start and how it's going to work to be honest. I know you posted this in 2009 but i was wondering what you ended up doing. If you replied it'd be very helpful.
Hi! I have a question when you first email them do you need to write a super long email saying you current uni, degree but also your reasons for transferring and you grades from your first year? I really need a bit of help and I would appreciate it :smile: thank you
Im doing mechanical engineering at ucl im in my last year. UCL does not do transfers. You can only transfer if someone drops out in the 1st year and even then most courses are over packed. Also you would have to resit your A levels to get the required grades along with that you would have to do your first year exams at your uni..
Reply 14
Original post by thepinkpowerranger
I was at Loughborough. I left after a month so I'm starting from scratch... I changed my course as well, to Mechanical engineering.

How did u leave after a month? Can we transfer in the 1st year?
I know this post is from a while back but just in case anyone is reading it for around 2022…I applied to ucl for chemical engineering but sadly got rejected. I was hoping to apply for adjustment after getting the grades needed for the course on results day but they unfortunately were not carrying out with adjustment that year due to a high number of applicants meeting their offer. So I ended up going to university of manchester. However, I called the ucl admissions office around about November time and asked if they did second year transfers to which they said they did. So here’s the summary of that phone call :1) only certain courses allow for second year transfers 2) you must meet the entry requirements for the year you would’ve applied for when entering first year ( so the grades you would have needed for the course the year you applied to uni, since sometimes they may change year to year) 3) the modules of the course you currently study at the university you are currently attending must be similar to the course modules on UCL’s course that you are wishing to transfer to. Those three points are the basic criteria, they may be different if you are applying to a different course so you may want to double check that (best way is by calling the ucl admissions office).In terms of applying this is what I had to do : 1) create a new ucas account. When choosing the course make sure you put level of entry as ‘year 2’ 2) update my personal statement. The admissions office said it was perfectly fine to use the PS I used when I first applied but obviously after a few months of actually studying the course you’re applying for, you’re going to have a deeper understanding of the subject so it would be a good idea to add new things in. And if you’re only applying to ucl ( or any other uni ) it’s a good idea to say why you would like to transfer to that university. Try not to focus it on negative things about the university you currently attend but perhaps what could ucl offer you or what the course at ucl can offer you to help with your education/experience. Overall there’s no difference between a first year PS and a second year PS, you just need to try to ‘sell’ yourself to the uni and convince them that you understand and are passionate about the degree. 3) I needed a reference from my current university. This was probably the hardest part since I didn’t really speak to my academic advisor who was the one who was supposed to provide my reference. In the end I had to ask around my lecturers to see if any of them would be willing to write me a reference and thank God one of them did.4) send ucl a copy of my transcript. This was also very difficult as ucl has asked for an official transcript signed and stamped on official paper. The first problem was that when ordering a transcript from my uni, it took 4 weeks, and I needed it in about four days time. The second problem was that my uni did not supply official transcripts for students who had not completed a year. In the end I had to email my student support office for an unofficial transcript and I sent that in instead with an explanation of my situation. I sent my application around the end of December and received an unconditional offer for a second year transfer at the start of April. So yes it is possible to transfer for the start of second year to ucl. There wasn’t much information on transfers when I was applying so I hope this is helpful but I did notice that ucl now have a page explaining that second year transfers are possible. I am extremely happy with the turn out and I highly recommend trying to transfer if you are thinking of doing so. There’s literally no harm in trying. x
Original post by withmochi
I know this post is from a while back but just in case anyone is reading it for around 2022…I applied to ucl for chemical engineering but sadly got rejected. I was hoping to apply for adjustment after getting the grades needed for the course on results day but they unfortunately were not carrying out with adjustment that year due to a high number of applicants meeting their offer. So I ended up going to university of manchester. However, I called the ucl admissions office around about November time and asked if they did second year transfers to which they said they did. So here’s the summary of that phone call :1) only certain courses allow for second year transfers 2) you must meet the entry requirements for the year you would’ve applied for when entering first year ( so the grades you would have needed for the course the year you applied to uni, since sometimes they may change year to year) 3) the modules of the course you currently study at the university you are currently attending must be similar to the course modules on UCL’s course that you are wishing to transfer to. Those three points are the basic criteria, they may be different if you are applying to a different course so you may want to double check that (best way is by calling the ucl admissions office).In terms of applying this is what I had to do : 1) create a new ucas account. When choosing the course make sure you put level of entry as ‘year 2’ 2) update my personal statement. The admissions office said it was perfectly fine to use the PS I used when I first applied but obviously after a few months of actually studying the course you’re applying for, you’re going to have a deeper understanding of the subject so it would be a good idea to add new things in. And if you’re only applying to ucl ( or any other uni ) it’s a good idea to say why you would like to transfer to that university. Try not to focus it on negative things about the university you currently attend but perhaps what could ucl offer you or what the course at ucl can offer you to help with your education/experience. Overall there’s no difference between a first year PS and a second year PS, you just need to try to ‘sell’ yourself to the uni and convince them that you understand and are passionate about the degree. 3) I needed a reference from my current university. This was probably the hardest part since I didn’t really speak to my academic advisor who was the one who was supposed to provide my reference. In the end I had to ask around my lecturers to see if any of them would be willing to write me a reference and thank God one of them did.4) send ucl a copy of my transcript. This was also very difficult as ucl has asked for an official transcript signed and stamped on official paper. The first problem was that when ordering a transcript from my uni, it took 4 weeks, and I needed it in about four days time. The second problem was that my uni did not supply official transcripts for students who had not completed a year. In the end I had to email my student support office for an unofficial transcript and I sent that in instead with an explanation of my situation. I sent my application around the end of December and received an unconditional offer for a second year transfer at the start of April. So yes it is possible to transfer for the start of second year to ucl. There wasn’t much information on transfers when I was applying so I hope this is helpful but I did notice that ucl now have a page explaining that second year transfers are possible. I am extremely happy with the turn out and I highly recommend trying to transfer if you are thinking of doing so. There’s literally no harm in trying. x

I am currently in a very similar situation to this. I applied for UCL 2022 entry for mechanical engineering but got rejected, instead I got an offer from Manchester but since I live in London im still uncertain wether it would be worth leaving to go to Manchester. I am considering doing clearing and applying to Queen Mary however I feel like Queen Mary is not as prestigious/good as the other unis so I’m unsure. Another option would be to take a gap year and reapply to UCL next year given that I get the grades in my A-levels. Would it be possible for me to transfer from QM to UCL 2nd year and what is the likelihood of actually getting a place? Would they be more willing to accept a UoM transfer rather than from QM or does that not make a difference? Also how much better is UoM than QM, if at all and would it be worth leaving London and paying the extra maintenance costs at UoM for a slightly better degree? Sorry for all the questions but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by krmelk04
I am currently in a very similar situation to this. I applied for UCL 2022 entry for mechanical engineering but got rejected, instead I got an offer from Manchester but since I live in London im still uncertain wether it would be worth leaving to go to Manchester. I am considering doing clearing and applying to Queen Mary however I feel like Queen Mary is not as prestigious/good as the other unis so I’m unsure. Another option would be to take a gap year and reapply to UCL next year given that I get the grades in my A-levels. Would it be possible for me to transfer from QM to UCL 2nd year and what is the likelihood of actually getting a place? Would they be more willing to accept a UoM transfer rather than from QM or does that not make a difference? Also how much better is UoM than QM, if at all and would it be worth leaving London and paying the extra maintenance costs at UoM for a slightly better degree? Sorry for all the questions but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m not sure how it is for queen marys but the engineering department at uom is generally very good. I actually considered clearing for queen Mary’s too but since uom’s chemical engineering degree was better I decided to go there since taking a gap year and reapplying didn’t exactly guarantee me a ucl offer. In my opinion Manchester is a very good university and I have no problems with it, it’s just I would prefer to be at ucl. In terms of which uni would increase your chances for a transfer, I’m not quite sure. The best way to research is to look at the modules for mechanical engineering at QM and Uom and compare them to the modules that ucl teaches- the more similar the better. Uom tends to rank around top ten and much higher than QM for engineering degrees so perhaps the degree is better at uom. Also, you may want to consider an experience in a new city since you already live in London, this way you could potentially experience uni life at two different unis which could be quite interesting. I can’t exactly speak for QM since I don’t go there or know anyone who goes there but Uom is generally a good uni and everything is in person (well for my course at least) but everything can be found online (lecture slides, lecture recordings, notes, so missing a few lectures here or there isn’t too bad) the staff seem to be extremely helpful and the engineering building is very nice. A lot of my friends from London say that people around here are a lot more nicer and friendly. The night life is decent and most things are in walking distance if you live in city accom (so no need for a 30 mins travel by night bus after a night out) and if you don’t live as close buses are very frequent. Despite being a city uni, it feels more like a campus since all the uni buildings are basically on one road so there are just a bunch of students condensed in one area so you get the best of both. Although you are correct, it is a lot of money to move to a new city but there are a lot of things to consider when making a decision this important so I wish you all the best!
Original post by withmochi

What about if you wanted to restart year 1 at UCL. Would you have any advice on that?

Latest

Trending

Trending