The Student Room Group

Not so prestigious Uni or Gap Year

Hey everyone, I just have been accepted into UCL , however I want to change courses from BA German to Bsc Psychology, but have been told that there are not anymore available spaces for this year. (Ps: I do have the grades to transfer to Psychology)So I am not sure whether to:
a) Attend the course I applied for and hope that before the 31st of October (programme change deadline) a spot opens up and can transfer to Psychology
B) Attend another univeristy through Clearing so I can study Psychology this year ( at another less prestigious uni, eg Birbeck) and then apply to transfer to UCL in year 2
C) Stay in UCL but start the Psychology course next year and take a Gap year. If I do, I plan to work ( E.g. someone suggested as a Healthcare Assistant as no qalifications are needed and I can somehow work in the field)
D) Any other suggestions?
Original post by Sunnight
Hey everyone, I just have been accepted into UCL , however I want to change courses from BA German to Bsc Psychology, but have been told that there are not anymore available spaces for this year. (Ps: I do have the grades to transfer to Psychology)So I am not sure whether to:
a) Attend the course I applied for and hope that before the 31st of October (programme change deadline) a spot opens up and can transfer to Psychology
B) Attend another univeristy through Clearing so I can study Psychology this year ( at another less prestigious uni, eg Birbeck) and then apply to transfer to UCL in year 2
C) Stay in UCL but start the Psychology course next year and take a Gap year. If I do, I plan to work ( E.g. someone suggested as a Healthcare Assistant as no qalifications are needed and I can somehow work in the field)

A) I wouldn't risk it
B) Uni doesn't really matter in the long term, employers care more about the degree classification
C) No harm in taking a gap year :biggrin:

Good luck

It's just personal preference, really. Personally, I would rather take a gap year and regret it than reject a really good uni offer and regret it, if that makes sense.
Reply 3

What do you hope to do with a psychology degree?You do realise it will not allow you to practice as a psychologist without further study.
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney
What do you hope to do with a psychology degree?You do realise it will not allow you to practice as a psychologist without further study.

I am hoping to then do a master in Forensic Psychology
Reply 5
I’m a big fan of birkbeck but am cautious about an 18/ 19 year old attending evening classes without a strong positive reason and proper consideration.
You can pretty much discard the transferring to UCL in year 2 because transferring, especially between years and different unis is virtually unheard of and almost always met with a resounding no. I would personally take a gap year and reapply to UCL psych.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 7
Don't start at UCL on a degree you don't want to do, in the hope that a spot opens up in Psychology. That's a terrible idea.

As for the other two options, you will just have to weigh up how desperate you are to get on with the degree this year vs how important "prestige" is to you. Personally I haven't found that employers or universities for postgrad study care that much about prestige.

But if you specifically like the look of UCL's Psychology course, then your best bet is to take a gap year and reapply. Gap years can be great, as long as you spend them working and gaining experience rather than lounging about.
Reply 8
I am hoping to then do a master in Forensic Psychology

Ok and you realise you will probably need a PhD as well.A lot of students think a Bachelor's degree will turn them into psychologists!Afraid not of course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending