The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Huh that is weird...they gave me an offer within a week of applying last year...

I don't know why they wouldn't give you an offer though? :confused:

Pretty harsh tbh.
Reply 21
but they only get to see my predicted grades of the subjects im carrying on to a2?
i will be so annoyed if it is my b in maths that means i got rejected. i got 95 in c1 and 84 in s1 but 60 in c2. i have restat c2 and from looking at solutions on here and speaking to my maths teacher i have got about 70/75 which should be 90+ums.
i have also done bronze and silver d of e and am doing gold. and im deputy head boy at my school and have raised nearl£10k for leukemia research
mouldy
but they only get to see my predicted grades of the subjects im carrying on to a2?
i will be so annoyed if it is my b in maths that means i got rejected. i got 95 in c1 and 84 in s1 but 60 in c2. i have restat c2 and from looking at solutions on here and speaking to my maths teacher i have got about 70/75 which should be 90+ums.
i have also done bronze and silver d of e and am doing gold. and im deputy head boy at my school and have raised nearl£10k for leukemia research

Thats largely irrelevant.
Reply 23
jelly1000

Thats largely irrelevant.

i agree i only stated it because someone had previously said on the thread.

D of E? voluntary?
im really glad its not just me in this situation! i got rejected yesterday too

got aaaac (maths, economics, accounting, economics based extended project, english language) at as,

predicted A (maths), A (economics), A* (accounting) at A2.

and my teachers were all impressed with my ps :/

im just really glad i didnt wana go id have been really gutted and im sorry for those of you that actually wanted to go and got rejected!

im gona ask em why
mouldy
i agree i only stated it because someone had previously said on the thread.

D of E? voluntary?

Ah right, I didn't notice that, but that would have unlikely affected their decison.
Maybe there's some sort of extra requirement in the small print?

I was going to apply for English at Edinburgh before seeing a small orange box on one of the prospectus' last pages that said a foreign language at GCSE was required, which I didn't have.

Could just be something like that?
Reply 27
It seems alot of rejections went on yesterday.
It makes me feel slightly better that clearly a lot of strong candidates were also unsuccessful.

Has anyone applied to LSE or York?
abcdefgH18
It seems alot of rejections went on yesterday.
It makes me feel slightly better that clearly a lot of strong candidates were also unsuccessful.

Has anyone applied to LSE or York?

Yeah I got an offer from york early in december
Paulwhy
Well you:
i)got GCSE gade b
ii) AS subjects (Maths, Business, Economics and General studies) include 2 less preffered subjects: Business and General studies.
ii) Business and Economics overlapp
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=21628910&postcount=1

But it looks like Sheffield should be moved up from post 3 of TAELT 2010. i.e. sheffield is significantly harder to get into c.f. previous years.
How are your other applications going?

Lol i was going to suggest you move them up in the next TAELT :p:, the only reason i can think of them rejecting strong applicants is them feeling like their wasting offers on those who are obviously not going to firm or insure them. Because even if they ask asked for B at maths GCSE and you got a C id expect them to still make offers, even a poor PS should still get you can offer.. :iiam:
Reply 30
69 Summer of
Yeah I got an offer from york early in december

Me too :smile:
for economics?
have you had offers for anywhere else?
Reply 31
yoyo462001
Lol i was going to suggest you move them up in the next TAELT :p:

I will do it once I can work out where to put them.

yoyo462001
the only reason i can think of them rejecting strong applicants is them feeling like their wasting offers on those who are obviously not going to firm or insure them.

I really don't think Sheffield are rejecting students because they think they are 'too good' for them.

yoyo462001
Because even if they ask asked for B at maths GCSE and you got a C id expect them to still make offers, even a poor PS should still get you can offer.. :iiam:

Appears that in reallity Sheffield are not just wanting their minimum requriements but looking for more than that.
Reply 32
bigmo7
Huh that is weird...they gave me an offer within a week of applying last year...

Do they have too many students in your year?

bigmo7
I don't know why they wouldn't give you an offer though? :confused:

Pretty harsh tbh.

They had already raised their entry requirements.
So is harder this year.
Reply 33
69 Summer of
im really glad its not just me in this situation! i got rejected yesterday too

Yes.
Commiserations.
was it BA or BSc?

69 Summer of
got aaaac (maths, economics, accounting, economics based extended project, english language) at as,

predicted A (maths), A (economics), A* (accounting) at A2.

and my teachers were all impressed with my ps :/

im just really glad i didnt wana go id have been really gutted and im sorry for those of you that actually wanted to go and got rejected!

im gona ask em why

Obvious weakest point is Accounting.
(What were your GCSE grades BTW?)
Reply 34
mouldy

You are correct that Unis only know the grades you give on UCAS. But they can make negative inferences from non-disclosure.
Reply 35
Paulwhy
Do they have too many students in your year?

Tbh I wouldn't know...~300 I guess...that's not really too many for a Uni like Sheffield though.

Paulwhy

They had already raised their entry requirements.
So is harder this year.

:holmes:
I guess it is an indication that they have.
Reply 36
bigmo7
Tbh I wouldn't know...~300 I guess...that's not really too many for a Uni like Sheffield though.

It may be more than they wanted
(and the Gov is prepared to pay for).
Reply 37
My only guess is the personal statement was below par? Or a poor reference?
Shocked for you D:
Reply 38
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
guessing you dropping out of soton then?

:yes:

Well, at the end of this year. May as well stick it out.
.ACS.
:yes:

Well, at the end of this year. May as well stick it out.

good luck :smile: was it really that bad lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending