The Student Room Group

Can't help but feel i'm on the wrong course.

I've just finished my first week at Uni - There an overriding feeling that I have accepted and entered, onto the wrong course! I know its only been a week, but the course does not seem at all like it was described or how I thought it would be like. :s-smilie: Thus making it quite unenjoyable and distracting when it comes to the work.

I'm going to do another few weeks and see if I still feel the same, but I just can't shake the worry of "am I on the right course?" Not sure if there are any other out there who feel similar. I have no problems with the city and my room mates, they are all friendly and accomodating.

If it does turn out to be the wrong course, I will probably apply for another university next year. But the real question is, how will this affect my finances in the future? What will I have to do with Student Finance? Pay back the loan? will I be able to apply for another next year?

Any advice or help appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
If you quit before November you have to pay any grant you have recieved back, and any bursary for that matter. They will also want the maintenance loan back, but only when you can afford it. Student finance also do not pay the university their tuition fees until 2011 so you will also be directly liable to the university for the tuition fees for leaving early, some universities charge £500 for leaving before a certain date, then £1000 after the next date etc etc.

Any more questions?
Reply 2
So basicaly - from a financial point of view, don't quit until november... Nice.
You should ask a different department for a transfer, before its too late.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
My brother did a year of a course, and then decided he wanted to change, asked the university, they let him switch to a completely different course. It didn't affect him financially. So I'd reccommend sticking it out for a year and then switching if it really isn't for you - a week isn't really long enough?
sday03
I've just finished my first week at Uni - There an overriding feeling that I have accepted and entered, onto the wrong course! I know its only been a week, but the course does not seem at all like it was described or how I thought it would be like. :s-smilie: Thus making it quite unenjoyable and distracting when it comes to the work.

I'm going to do another few weeks and see if I still feel the same, but I just can't shake the worry of "am I on the right course?" Not sure if there are any other out there who feel similar. I have no problems with the city and my room mates, they are all friendly and accomodating.

If it does turn out to be the wrong course, I will probably apply for another university next year. But the real question is, how will this affect my finances in the future? What will I have to do with Student Finance? Pay back the loan? will I be able to apply for another next year?

your allowed four years worth of loans (doing a year i think that means if your there past november). so choose wisely next time if you stay past november
Reply 6
Out of curiosity, which course is it?

Also be wary that some universities aren't keen on people transferring from one department to another. (At least this is the case at Southampton. It's pretty easy to transfer from one programme within a department to another programme within the same department, but they make it almost impossible to transfer to another department.)
Reply 7
sday03

Why would you apply for a different uni altogether, just because of the course? Don't be silly, you can transfer to a different course in the same uni.

If you feel it's the wrong course, honestly, do it NOW. If you switch now, you may still be allowed onto the course you want and not have to waste a whole year. If you switch later, it means you won't be able to start again until next September - a whole year wasted, and I'm not sure what would happen with the tuition fees etc.

It's not really the end of the world. I did Neuroscience for a year, switched in May at the end of it and transferred to Art History instead, both at the same uni. That means you don't have to start all over again with regards to friends, housemates and accoms.
Reply 8
khil
Why would you apply for a different uni altogether, just because of the course? Don't be silly, you can transfer to a different course in the same uni.

If you feel it's the wrong course, honestly, do it NOW. If you switch now, you may still be allowed onto the course you want and not have to waste a whole year. If you switch later, it means you won't be able to start again until next September - a whole year wasted, and I'm not sure what would happen with the tuition fees etc.

It's not really the end of the world. I did Neuroscience for a year, switched in May at the end of it and transferred to Art History instead, both at the same uni. That means you don't have to start all over again with regards to friends, housemates and accoms.

I'm doing TV & Film Design at Hull. But i'm feeling I should have perhaps done TV & Film Production. That course isn't availible in Hull, so to persue a course of that nature, I would have to change university.

The course description (for Hull) outlines a strong production element through out the length of the course. However, now being here its seems to be strongly orientated with the arty farty side of film. An example would be that we are expected to keep artistic log books and diaries. Not something I was expecting, I had hoped for a more hands-on experience. Where as I understand that Film is an art in its own right - I fully expected art and design elements on the course, just not as much as this!

Who knows - I could just be being abit :woo: that my first impression was not as good as i'd hoped for. But I may have just, again, set the expectations to high, because i'm abit of a strangling. But its only been the first week,so... However the implementations of leaving have been answered for me, so thanks :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
sday03
I'm doing TV & Film Design at Hull. But i'm feeling I should have perhaps done TV & Film Production. That course isn't availible in Hull, so to persue a course of that nature, I would have to change university.

The course description (for Hull) outlines a strong production element through out the length of the course. However, now being here its seems to be strongly orientated with the arty farty side of film. An example would be that we are expected to keep artistic log books and diaries. Not something I was expecting, I had hoped for a more hands-on experience. Where as I understand that Film is an art in its own right - I fully expected art and design elements on the course, just not as much as this!

Who knows - I could just be being overly critical, and its only been the first week, but the implementations of leaving have been answered for me, so thanks :smile:

Sure thing. Another thing is, talk to your tutor. If anyone's gonna know whether there's gonna be as much emphasis on production as you'd like, hands-on experience and anything else, it's gonna be the person running the course.

Good luck :smile: x
Reply 10
I'm not sure if the duration changes between universities, but if you leave before a certain time you do not have to pay tuition fees.

I dropped out of Exeter back in 2006 and remember my (extremely cheeky) tutor asking if i'd consider staying an extra week, "as a gesture of goodwill", so they could take tuition fees from me!
Reply 11
JDI
I'm not sure if the duration changes between universities, but if you leave before a certain time you do not have to pay tuition fees.

I dropped out of Exeter back in 2006 and remember my (extremely cheeky) tutor asking if i'd consider staying an extra week, "as a gesture of goodwill", so they could take tuition fees from me!

LOL that's outrageous! I wouldn't have known about the tuition fees bit and would've probably fallen for it! Did you know about it at the time?
Please stick it out for a little longer, the first week is always going to be strange, the other thing is the other course be no better.
Reply 13
khil
LOL that's outrageous! I wouldn't have known about the tuition fees bit and would've probably fallen for it! Did you know about it at the time?

It was quite funny: I did laugh in his face.

I didn't know about it until I'd decided for sure I wanted to leave and was asking people (whatever student welfare or advice person there was, I don't remember) how to go about signing out and I think they mentioned it. Not wanting to be the parent of a drop-out, my mum tried to convince me to stay, "Oh just give it 'til Christmas" etc. Um, NO, until Christmas will cost me three grand!

Latest

Trending

Trending