The Student Room Group

getting a motorbike license

I'm thinking about going for a motorbike license. Can anyone tell me what happens? What kind of bike you would recommend for learning on? Do you need your own bike for lessons? If I want to do direct access, what kind of bike would you recommend for that? If anyone can help that would be great. Cheers.
Reply 1
Hmm well if you're in Canada like your profile says then I don't have a clue what the law is, but seing as you mention direct access then I assume you're in the UK. I've been riding for nearly a year, and I've had my licence since September - all I can say is that motorbikes are brilliant! It sounds like you've never ridden a bike before, so there are 2 ways you could go about getting a licence:

1) Do a CBT (about £75), buy a cheap second-hand 125cc bike (about £400 to buy, £300 to insure) and ride it for a few months with L-plates. I had a Honda CG125, it was very friendly and great for building up my skills. Once you're happy and confident on the road you can sell the 125 for about what you payed for it; you then need to take the motorbike theory test (£20) and get a few hours training on a Direct Access bike (probably a 500cc) and then take the test. For the training and test you'll need to rent a bike from a training school, but this isn't very expensive.

2) Go in at the deep end and go on an intensive training course with the test at the end, probably lasting about a week. Again you'll need to rent a Direct Access-valid bike, and you'll have to work hard to learn all the necessary road skills in such a short space of time. This option is probably cheaper, but you'll be more likely to fail your test due to less experience.

So once you've passed your test, what's the best first bike to get? Well a lot of people buy a bike similar to the ones used for direct access tests - a 500cc parallel twin like a Honda CB500, Kawasaki ER-5 or Suzuki GS500. These bikes are easy to handle and ride, are easily capable of 100mph and are relatively comfortable over distance, as well as being relatively cheap to run and insure. If you want something a bit sportier you should look at a Suzuki SV650, Suzuki Bandit 600/650, Honda Hornet 600 or Yamaha Fazer 600. These bikes are a fair bit faster and more powerfull, but would cost more to run and insure, and the learning curve for a new rider would be a bit steeper.

Whatever you decide good luck and I'm sure you wont regret it!
Jackykins
Hmm well if you're in Canada like your profile says then I don't have a clue what the law is, but seing as you mention direct access then I assume you're in the UK. I've been riding for nearly a year, and I've had my licence since September - all I can say is that motorbikes are brilliant! It sounds like you've never ridden a bike before, so there are 2 ways you could go about getting a licence:

1) Do a CBT (about £75), buy a cheap second-hand 125cc bike (about £400 to buy, £300 to insure) and ride it for a few months with L-plates. I had a Honda CG125, it was very friendly and great for building up my skills. Once you're happy and confident on the road you can sell the 125 for about what you payed for it; you then need to take the motorbike theory test (£20) and get a few hours training on a Direct Access bike (probably a 500cc) and then take the test. For the training and test you'll need to rent a bike from a training school, but this isn't very expensive.

2) Go in at the deep end and go on an intensive training course with the test at the end, probably lasting about a week. Again you'll need to rent a Direct Access-valid bike, and you'll have to work hard to learn all the necessary road skills in such a short space of time. This option is probably cheaper, but you'll be more likely to fail your test due to less experience.

So once you've passed your test, what's the best first bike to get? Well a lot of people buy a bike similar to the ones used for direct access tests - a 500cc parallel twin like a Honda CB500, Kawasaki ER-5 or Suzuki GS500. These bikes are easy to handle and ride, are easily capable of 100mph and are relatively comfortable over distance, as well as being relatively cheap to run and insure. If you want something a bit sportier you should look at a Suzuki SV650, Suzuki Bandit 600/650, Honda Hornet 600 or Yamaha Fazer 600. These bikes are a fair bit faster and more powerfull, but would cost more to run and insure, and the learning curve for a new rider would be a bit steeper.

Whatever you decide good luck and I'm sure you wont regret it!

Wow that was very comprehensive. I recently got my [restricted] licence a few months back, and this is the bit you forgot, you can take the actual test on your sexy little 125. This gets around having to re-learn how to control a larger bike but means that you will be restricted in your bike of choice somewhat - you can ride upto 33bhp bikes only if you take the practicle test on a 125cc bike. But, a lot of people are confident enough to hop onto a 500cc straight away, I wasn't so I took the other option.

Its hard to say what you'll feel like doing until you take a CBT and chat to the instructors. A lot of people get cockey and fail their direct access courses because of lack of riding experience. :biggrin:

Anyway, first step, shop around for a CBT. Click on 'training centres in your area' --> http://www.begin-motorcycling.co.uk/

:yy:
...unless you're not in the UK. :eek:
Reply 4
You have to be 21 to take the test on a big bike anyway.

I'm going to take my test soon on my 125, and am considering a vfr 400 for the next bike, and hope I dont get executed on the insurance. Its all down to personal preference though, when I've got enough cash Id love to have a nimble KTM and go off roading :smile: but not great for the uni commute really.
Reply 5
I got my CBT when i was sixteen, which is now over two years ago but i also have a full drivers license does anybody know if i have to re-take the CBT to get my motrbike license?
Original post by josh.tyrie
I got my CBT when i was sixteen, which is now over two years ago but i also have a full drivers license does anybody know if i have to re-take the CBT to get my motrbike license?

Yes. The CBT only lasts for two years and you need a valid CBT to ride a motorbike as a learner.

The only circumstances I can think of where you wouldn't need CBT is if you already hold a motorbike category (or moped category obtained by taking a moped test, not through a car test) and are upgrading it. (eg A1 -> A, A (automatic) -> A etc)

Yes, but I believe you can ride Mopeds without redoing your CBT (The old one will still be valid for mopeds only, with your full B cat licence).

Original post by AnythingButChardonnay
Yes. The CBT only lasts for two years and you need a valid CBT to ride a motorbike as a learner.

The only circumstances I can think of where you wouldn't need CBT is if you already hold a motorbike category (or moped category obtained by taking a moped test, not through a car test) and are upgrading it. (eg A1 -> A, A (automatic) -> A etc)

If he passed his car test while holding CBT, I would think the CBT would remain valid for Mopeds only (but not certain).
Original post by rmhumphries
If he passed his car test while holding CBT, I would think the CBT would remain valid for Mopeds only (but not certain).

I believe that to be correct too - CBT validates the 'p' category held by virtue of holding a post-Feb.2001 car licence, and is valid for that purpose indefinitely.

As he was apparently only interested in obtaining a bike licence I thought that would confuse things so didn't mention it. :redface:
Original post by AnythingButChardonnay
I believe that to be correct too - CBT validates the 'p' category held by virtue of holding a post-Feb.2001 car licence, and is valid for that purpose indefinitely.

As he was apparently only interested in obtaining a bike licence I thought that would confuse things so didn't mention it. :redface:

That is fair enough, I only had things to say about mopeds so thought it could be useful to mention :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)

Yes, you have to retake your CBT.

After 2 years your CBT expires and it's now like you've never done a CBT before...

If you want to ride any type of bike then do your CBT again...

If you want more info, hit the link to the motorbike society thread in my sig.

There's a FAQ in the OP...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending