The Student Room Group

how do i gently let a university down?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ihatestatisticslol
...am i an idiot for choosing Surrey over Nottingham?

Not if you prefer it, no.
...doubt that highly

Are you really suggesting that in your brief sneeze of time you're not irrelevant? The sad truth is a very small minority of the human race will ever be remembered throughout history. A lifetime to us is the longest thing we will ever experience, yet in the grand scheme of the universe and time itself, you are as inconsequential as the ants you step on every day without second thought, or the flying insects you kill when driving your car.

Please, curb your arrogance.
Original post by TheSownRose
Not if you prefer it, no.
why do i get the feeling that Nottingham completely outclasses Surrey in terms of reputation?
...doubt that highly

I doubt, that you doubt that.
why do i get the feeling that Nottingham completely outclasses Surrey in terms of reputation?

Because people on TSR have some sort of obsession with Nottingham.

I never even knew it had a uni until I was in sixth form and looking around for possible unis.
Because people on TSR have some sort of obsession with Nottingham.

I never even knew it had a uni until I was in sixth form and looking around for possible unis.
problem is Nottingham don't have an open day till like june or something, and I've never visited it before. the BBC predicted grades are putting me off though, lol. it would feel like such a waste putting a low offer like that as my firm

I love Surrey though, only annoying thing is that my course = cockfest (computer science), but another advantage is that if there is a skunk shortage in Surrey, then london (where I live) is only a 40 minute drive away. if this was the case for nottingham however, i'd be twitching
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by JohnC2211
Are you really suggesting that in your brief sneeze of time you're not irrelevant? The sad truth is a very small minority of the human race will ever be remembered throughout history. A lifetime to us is the longest thing we will ever experience, yet in the grand scheme of the universe and time itself, you are as inconsequential as the ants you step on every day without second thought, or the flying insects you kill when driving your car.

Beat me to it!

i'm just saying that if manchester are constantly replying to all my emails within 15-20 minutes then they obviously want me pretty bad, since that is somewhat obsessive otherwise. so yes, i would say i'm important to them
i'm just saying that if manchester are constantly replying to all my emails within 15-20 minutes then they obviously want me pretty bad, since that is somewhat obsessive otherwise. so yes, i would say i'm important to them

Guarantee you they don't even know your name. You're a candidate number. Nothing more. There are probably ten people who are just as capable, if not more so, waiting to take your place.
Guarantee you they don't even know your name. You're a candidate number. Nothing more. There are probably ten people who are just as capable, if not more so, waiting to take your place.
at first i thought you were talking sense, but now it's clear that you're jealous. would you like to take my place in the interview?
Lol, you don't even have to phone them/email them. Just don't turn up and wait for the rejection - they probably won't feel hurt.
at first i thought you were talking sense, but now it's clear that you're jealous. would you like to take my place in the interview?

Replying quickly does not mean they want you badly, it just means they're organised.

Jealous? I'm already at University. I'm far from jealous, but ignorant little people like you who believe they are the be all and end all of life annoy me. It shows how narrow minded and self centred you are. Responding to your e-mails in a quick and timely fashion is not obsessive, it's professional. And not really that surprising when you consider this is the peak time for applications.
Why do you have to let them down gently? They're a university, it's not like you're going to hurt their feelings. Trust me, the admissions tutor won't be losing sleep and crying over it.
(edited 13 years ago)
:rofl:

You think the admissions department staff at Manchester are going to cry themselves to sleep every night just because you didn't accept them? Wow, get over yourself. They won't give a ****, at all.
Reply 35
Surrey is quite a nice uni, plus it has made him a far higher offer.

How high the offer is really has little bearing. Universities often make lower offers for students they want, Nottingham often does this - if the OP is predicted AAB then Nottingham knows this and is probably giving a lower offer to entice a good student. Surrey is an above average uni, nothing wrong with it but Nottingham is an excellent uni.

Nottingham is much more highly regarded, targetted, an academic powerhouse and holds more prestige. If you picked Surrey because you genuinely prefer it then no you aren't, if you picked Surrey because they were the highest offer then, well, yeah pretty much.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Einheri
How high the offer is really has little bearing. Universities often make lower offers for students they want, Nottingham often does this - if the OP is predicted AAB then Nottingham knows this and is probably giving a lower offer to entice a good student. Surrey is an above average uni, nothing wrong with it but Nottingham is an excellent uni.

Nottingham is much more highly regarded, targetted, an academic powerhouse and holds more prestige. If you picked Surrey because you genuinely prefer it then no you aren't, if you picked Surrey because they were the highest off then, well, yeah pretty much.
iyt i'm predicted ABC (got ABB last year :mad:).

i want a chance to take a look at the nottingham campus and city but their open day isn't until june (by then im supposed to have already made my decision). what does one do in my situation?

Nope, there's another reason.
Reply 38
iyt i'm predicted ABC (got ABB last year :mad:).

i want a chance to take a look at the nottingham campus and city but their open day isn't until june (by then im supposed to have already made my decision). what does one do in my situation?

Take a train and have a look around yourself. It's widely considered to have one of the most beautiful campuses of any university, if the surroundings themselves are what you're concerned about.
Original post by Einheri
Take a train and have a look around yourself. It's widely considered to have one of the most beautiful campuses of any university, if the surroundings themselves are what you're concerned about.
just to clarify, i can walk in any uni campus i like and they cant chat ****?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending