The Student Room Group

Blown it by falling asleep on him

I have insomnia - pretty bad and, until earlier today (which I'll be coming to), I hadn't slept at all in three days.

So, went out with a guy I've liked for a while. First date to the cinema ... and, because it's a warm and dark place, and the background noise is quite comforting, I fall asleep. Making it worse, I actually lean away from him and towards the wall.

He wakes me up a couple of hours later and, when I blearily ask him when it's starting, he coughs politely and informs me it's actually finished. Silent drive home and, at the end of it, he says, "Um, to be honest this hasn't been a great success - probably won't be calling you."

Well, what could I say? It hadn't been.

FML.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Another reason not to have a first date in a cinema, if the lack of opportunity for conversation wasn't enough.
Reply 2
Couldn't you just text him to explain why you fell asleep?
Reply 3
... or you tell him the above if you really want to go out with him again.
Reply 4
Try explaining you have had insomnia, not guaranteed to make it work but its worth a go, just talking to him. He probably feels embarrased
:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by zjs
Another reason not to have a first date in a cinema, if the lack of opportunity for conversation wasn't enough.

We'd had dinner first - lots of conversation, we got on all right until the cinema. :frown:
Reply 6
He actually said that? Gosh. I'd never be so blunt.
Reply 7
Original post by Preeka
Couldn't you just text him to explain why you fell asleep?

I have no mobile phone, so technically no ... but I get your point.

Thing is how do you convince someone who clearly thinks, "I was so boring, she fell asleep rather than spend time with me"?
Reply 8
If you like him that much, tell him. Worst thing he does is says no and he's already done that, so you might as well.
Reply 9
Original post by Beska
He actually said that? Gosh. I'd never be so blunt.

Yeah, exact words. How would you have phrased it?

I appreciate it; don't really know how else either of us could have said it without it being awkward. :s-smilie:
Reply 10

"You should have had some caffeine."
this makes me sad :frown: you should have explained it to him or made a joke out of it!!
p.s. if hes gonna be that blunt about it hes not worth it :smile: find someone who would giggle about it :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Jellybean91
this makes me sad :frown: you should have explained it to him or made a joke out of it!!

Even to me, he was clearly hurt and thinking that I found him so boring I fell asleep; not sure a joke would be the way to go...

And (in relation to your other post) I appreciate bluntness - I don't have the ability to figure out what people mean unless they say it directly.
Reply 14
tickle his bo**ocks
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous
I have no mobile phone, so technically no ... but I get your point.

Thing is how do you convince someone who clearly thinks, "I was so boring, she fell asleep rather than spend time with me"?

Just tell him. If I was him, I'd be so relieved to hear a valid reason rather than have myself think, OMG I WAS THAT UNBEARABLE. Plus you aren't making excuses - you have a real reason. Just explain that to him and take as long as it needs to him to realise you aren't actually bull****ting.
You should have explained why you dozed off...

But none the less, that is incredibly rude of him.
Are you sure you even want to be dating a guy like that???
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
I'd send him a message or email or something anyway. If he doesn't want to see you again, fair enough, but I think you'll feel better after having explained it, and so will he. Did he know you had insomnia?
uh wow. I'm sorry, if everything was great up til the cinema, I don't see why he would think you thought he was boring. If he was boring, you would've fallen asleep over dinner! Surely he must've thought there's something more to it? Duh?
Original post by Anonymous
Even to me, he was clearly hurt and thinking that I found him so boring I fell asleep; not sure a joke would be the way to go...

And (in relation to your other post) I appreciate bluntness - I don't have the ability to figure out what people mean unless they say it directly.

you were in a cinema! hardly gonna have the most riveting of conversations in there. hes being a bit precious if he thinks you fell asleep cos you found him boring! yeh its fine to be annoyed but he shouldnt have just had the mardy face on quietly all the way home! and if he was annoyed why didnt he wake you up when he noticed you were asleep? (which i guarantee was a looong time before the film finished!!)

yes be blunt, but dont be horrible!

if you really think he meant well and hes a nice guy then explain it all to him :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending