The Student Room Group

Best universities to study Law! - Top 5

The graduates top law firms want, the university where they are most likely to recruit from and so on!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oxbridge
UCL & LSE
Warwick.

(Or Durham for the last one).
Reply 2
Oxbridge
UCL & LSE
One chosen from Durham, Bristol, Warwick, KCL and the other good universities within that bracket.
Oxford
Cambridge
UCL
KCL
LSE

... if employers are going by league tables.
Reply 4
Give me thumbs up if you honestly think that I am correct and a thumbs down if you honestly think that I am incorrect but I do question whether a university that was only founded in the 1960s, even if it's overall highly rated Warwick, will hold anywhere near as much prestige in Law as Edinburgh (as well as all the other names on that list). All of these for a start are sometimes more highly rated for Law than Warwick: Glasgow, Nottingham, Aberdeen
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Well I'm surprised no one has mentioned Queen Mary.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-guide-law
Reply 6
Original post by her
Well I'm surprised no one has mentioned Queen Mary.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-guide-law

It has a fantastic Law dept, but overall the University has nowhere near the prestige of those already stated.
Original post by Bellrosk
It has a fantastic Law dept, but overall the University has nowhere near the prestige of those already stated.

Oh no! Do employers like QMUL LAW graduates ? - Top law firms and so on
Reply 8
Original post by iheartmondays

You wouldn't have much trouble getting an interview for a TC. A top 15 will get you in the door. If you want to go for barrister, stick closely to the top 5.
Reply 9
Original post by Bellrosk
Oxbridge
UCL & LSE
Warwick.

(Or Durham for the last one).

Durham for sure :cool:

I'd change the thread title to top 6 bc Durham and Warwick for law are interchangeable for spots 5&6 like Oxford and Cambridge interchangeable for 1&2.

Oxbridge
UCL/LSE
Durham/Warwick
Cambridge, UCL, LSE...

then two from durham, nottingham, King's.

If you're really desperate, oxford.
IMO

Oxford / Cambridge
LSE
Durham
UCL

in that order. This will vary from employer to employer though - at the same firm, one person making recruitment decisions might prefer QMUL to KCL and another might think its the other way around - people making the decisions often don't research universities very much.

(edit: rofl how come all the neg rep? I'm getting some people are really offended by me putting LSE above UCL... <(^_^)>)
(edited 13 years ago)

Original post by adam0311
You wouldn't have much trouble getting an interview for a TC. A top 15 will get you in the door. If you want to go for barrister, stick closely to the top 5.

TC? what? pleas explain your comment love :smile: thank you! :smile:
Reply 13
TC? what? pleas explain your comment love :smile: thank you! :smile:

A training contract...
Edinburgh is a bit ehhh for Law, assuming the OP is English. I thought you have to take your LLB in the country you want to practice in?
(Each group in no particular order):

Oxford
Cambridge

KCL
LSE
UCL
Nottingham
Durham
Bristol

Manchester
Birmingham
Warwick

Anyone one of them will be easily good enough. You can argue that Warwick should be in the higher group but in general terms these unis are the ones that law firms will be looking at. Just make sure you stand out with other areas of your application and firms are not likely to place too much importance of whether you went to Red Brick X or Red Brick Y.

My cousin is a Queen Mary law graduate and he has been so for 3 years whereby he took his LPC the year after graduation. He has been looking for a training contract for two years now and is currently working as a cashier in Marks and Spencer's...
Reply 17
Original post by Picnic1
Give me thumbs up if you honestly think that I am correct and a thumbs down if you honestly think that I am incorrect but I do question whether a university that was only founded in the 1960s, even if it's overall highly rated Warwick, will hold anywhere near as much prestige in Law as Edinburgh (as well as all the other names on that list). All of these for a start are sometimes more highly rated for Law than Warwick: Glasgow, Nottingham, Aberdeen

Glasgow and Aberdeen teach Scottish law, and I'm far from sure they'd be put ahead of Warwick.

Nottingham does have a strong law school, but I don't know that firms and sets see a huge difference between Nottingham and Warwick.
Reply 18
Original post by willtang3000
My cousin is a Queen Mary law graduate and he has been so for 3 years whereby he took his LPC the year after graduation. He has been looking for a training contract for two years now and is currently working as a cashier in Marks and Spencer's...

I learnt from the TSR that a 2.1 LLB from QM should be okay for securing a TC. Is your cousin an asian?
Original post by jivejak
I learnt from the TSR that a 2.1 LLB from QM should be okay for securing a TC. Is your cousin an asian?

I have confidence in him that he got at least a 2:1 because he's a very clever individual. Yes he is Asian, but I fail to see how this factor will challenge his ability to gain a training contract! :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending