The Student Room Group

Students with part-time jobs, how many hours do you work weekly?

How many days? And how much are you paid? And monthly or weekly?:smile:

Scroll to see replies

I work 15 hours a week for Waitrose.

I have 22 hours of lessons a week.

I do the International Baccalaureate.

It's a lot of work.

I get paid monthly. £100 a week roughly
Reply 2
Original post by moneyballs2
I work 15 hours a week for Waitrose.

I have 22 hours of lessons a week.

I do the International Baccalaureate.

It's a lot of work.

I get paid monthly. £100 a week roughly

It sounds so cool, moneyballs in training:biggrin:!!! I work in a sport club as cleaner and I work 15 hours a week for 6 pounds/hours.
Reply 3
12 hours a week, weekends only. Paid fortnightly, approx. £300 a month.
Reply 4
Original post by aeterno
12 hours a week, weekends only. Paid fortnightly, approx. £300 a month.

Money...:cool:
I work 10 hours a week at L.K.Bennett (very nice ladies clothes/shoe shop), I do 4 hours on a Wednesday and 6 hours on a Sunday. Completely manageable with my uni workload as a third year student. I worked 22 hours one week about a month ago though and it was horrific. I certainly couldn't manage with more than 12 hours a week this year.
I get £6.75 an hour plus 1% commission on what I sell(shoes are approx £200, boots are around £250-£400, bags £250-£350, dresses around £250 to give you a rough idea).
So I normally come out with £270 plus around £80 in commission.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ~Amy-Eliza~
I work 10 hours a week at L.K.Bennett (very nice ladies clothes/shoe shop), I do 4 hours on a Wednesday and 6 hours on a Sunday. Completely manageable with my uni workload as a third year student. I worked 22 hours one week about a month ago though and it was horrific. I certainly couldn't manage with more than 12 hours a week this year.
I get £6.75 an hour plus 1% commission on what I sell(shoes are approx £200, boots are around £250-£400, bags £250-£350, dresses around £250 to give you a rough idea).
So I normally come out with £270 plus around £80 in commission.

Monthly?:smile:
Reply 7
21ish hours a week usually. 3 on a friday, 12 on a saturday (only get paid 11), 7 on a sunday. sometimes dont do the full saturday, they are really flexible about overtime etc. At a co-op, weekend checkout supervisor :smile: £5.96 p/h but about to get a pay rise hopefully!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
umm, I do about, 8 hours a week, though as it's xmas i'm working a lot more.
about 6 pounds and hour, and salary depending on over time!
I have 21 hours a week at college and then I work 10 hours at the hospital as a Ward Clerk (admin). Originally, I was on 18.75/week when I started the job over the summer, but when September hit I found that I was going a bit crazy and stressed out over the lack of me-time.

When I worked 18.75 hours I got roughly £500 a month after my national insurance and pension deduction. I then went down to about £300 when I reduced my hours. However, I now work 10 hours over the weekend instead of working weekday evenings which makes me roughly the same amount as when I worked 18.75 hours due to 'unsociable hours' work pay. I love the NHS!
15 hours, about £400/month at l'occitane
Original post by SoulfulBoy
Monthly?:smile:

Yep :smile:
12 hours a week, usually in 3 x 4 hour shifts. £6.25 an hour, paid monthly. Pay and a half on Sundays.
Pretty easy going really when you look at it like that! But believe me, it sure as hell doesn't feel like it.
Reply 13
2 jobs - 9 hours a week.
On wednesdays I work as a cheerleader teacher - £12 a session, paid every 7 weeks.
And Im going to start a new job next week which is going to be £5 something an hour, 4 hours on thursdays and 4 hours on saturday.

It's not much but it's perfectly good for me, Im still at college and living with my mum so that's just extra cash really :smile:
Reply 14
Do you find you're not left with much time for yourself?
I'm doing a-levels, 36 hours a week plus 10 hours travel time a week and loads of homework and I don't know if I can handle a job atm so I was just wondering. Come the weekend, I'm exhausted and I don't know if I'd have the motivation to work. How do you all find it? Hardly anyone at my school has a proper job...
Reply 15
14 hours a week
paid: not enough
Reply 16
In sixth form I worked 12 hours per week for £6.12/hr. Now I don't work during term time, but in the holidays I do night shifts (~40 hours per week at £8.27/hr).
Reply 17
I work as a language tutor for a company here in Paris. I currently work 5-8pm Tuesday and Wednesday, and I get 10€ an hour. So I'm getting 60€ a week but it obviously changes monthly due to me coming home for holidays/exams etc.
ETA: I only have 12 hours a week at uni but have constant essays to be writing and books to be reading. The workload here is ridiculous and I'm thinking I will have to leave this job as with travelling time it's just too much, as Tuesdays and Wednesdays are full days for me aka 9-9 not including time to eat etc :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by purplesky
Do you find you're not left with much time for yourself?
I'm doing a-levels, 36 hours a week plus 10 hours travel time a week and loads of homework and I don't know if I can handle a job atm so I was just wondering. Come the weekend, I'm exhausted and I don't know if I'd have the motivation to work. How do you all find it? Hardly anyone at my school has a proper job...

Personally i don't mind it. it's ridiculous because my job is a minimum wage slave type job, but i absolutely love it there. my team are amazing, & we all have fun. There are days when i really do not want to get out of bed, and some friday nights when i want to go out and not have to worry about surviving a 12 hour shift the next day but at the end of the day, i HAVE to work. i don't really have a choice, my student loan is not nearly enough. If i dont work the rent doesnt get paid and i don't eat, though the extra money to spend on yourself is always nice too!
find a job you like, or put it off as long as humanely possible. :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by specialk_698
15 hours, about £400/month at l'occitane

:eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending