The Student Room Group

Uni weekly hours

Been considering doing part time work if I start Uni so just wanted to know how many hours per week does a student usually go for ancivil engineering course and what time does uni usually finish. In my case I've been wondering how many hours a week for civil engineering in either Birmingham City University or Aston University and is it like a set number of hours per week or does it change around each year.
Will vary between unis but generally STEM courses including engineering have more contact hours on average. Generally though you have more contact hours in the earlier years of the course than the later years. I would probably anticipate 20-25 contact hours a week for a first year engineering course most likely, including labs and tutorials etc.

It's generally not advisable to work more than 15 hours a week max if you're a full time student on any course, and even that is impractical for most. I would probably suggest 8-12 hours a week realistically for most.

Bear in mind also it's very likely your timetable will change each term so finding a job which allows you to work flexibly enough to have your hours change every 3 months can be challenging, unless you are purely working after 5pm every day (in which case you need to balance that so you don't burn out by being over tired constantly), or only on the weekends (in which case you need to be sure you allocate sufficient time in the week for all your assignments etc.

If you're very keen on working while studying then particularly for engineering (civil or otherwise) it's worth looking into degree apprenticeships, as there are quite a few available including at notable engineering firms (and the much greater amount of work experience you have will make you a lot more employable at the end, assuming you don't just remain with the company that you did the apprenticeship with in the first place).
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Will vary between unis but generally STEM courses including engineering have more contact hours on average. Generally though you have more contact hours in the earlier years of the course than the later years. I would probably anticipate 20-25 contact hours a week for a first year engineering course most likely, including labs and tutorials etc.

It's generally not advisable to work more than 15 hours a week max if you're a full time student on any course, and even that is impractical for most. I would probably suggest 8-12 hours a week realistically for most.

Bear in mind also it's very likely your timetable will change each term so finding a job which allows you to work flexibly enough to have your hours change every 3 months can be challenging, unless you are purely working after 5pm every day (in which case you need to balance that so you don't burn out by being over tired constantly), or only on the weekends (in which case you need to be sure you allocate sufficient time in the week for all your assignments etc.

If you're very keen on working while studying then particularly for engineering (civil or otherwise) it's worth looking into degree apprenticeships, as there are quite a few available including at notable engineering firms (and the much greater amount of work experience you have will make you a lot more employable at the end, assuming you don't just remain with the company that you did the apprenticeship with in the first place).

Thanks 👍 I was also wondering how much are the fees during a placement year?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by sua008

That I don't know unfortunately, probably will need to look on the uni webpages for it.

I know for study abroad years they're often lower (although SFE still pays them), not sure if it's the same for a placement year though.
Original post by sua008

Heya

That will vary according to university so you will be able to find that information on their specific websites. I know for Durham that you only pay 20% of the usual fees when on a PY.

-Himieka
Hi there,

The hours you will be scheduled will vary uni by uni, course by course, and semester by semester. One semester you may have a packed schedule and the next only 4 lectures a week. It will change depending on what modules you do, coursework etc.

In general you should treat university like a full time job. While you don't have to spend 9-5 every weekday on campus, you should make sure you are allowing for the extra hours of studying, coursework or exam practise you will need to be doing. I recommend for every hour of lecture you spend an hour going over the material in your own time. In my experience i have had 4-6 lectures a week (2 hours each) and a whole day set free to be available to work on my coursework and be in contact with lecturers.

You should have your weekends free so you can use these to pick up part time jobs, alternatively you may have blocks of afternoons and evenings available to do so. The days and times will all depend on what your scheduled and there is erally no telling until youre there.

Your university may also offer student work which will be flexible around your schedule. Have a look at these websites for Birmingham and Aston or should you choose elsewhere they will usually have their own websites with opportunities:
https://www.bcu.ac.uk/student-info/why-study-at-bcu/employability/enhance
https://www.aston.ac.uk/careers/get-experience/jobshop

Hope this helped,
Sophie (uni of Bath)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending