The Student Room Group

Struggling massively on loans

Hi :smile: Basically, I am in my first year of university, I get the full grant, loan and bursary (not a lot because my uni doesnt give much) and basically I am really struggling. I have had to pay off my accomodation myself (like a lot of people) but i really do mean I get NOTHING off my family. My household income is very low and if my Dad could help me he would, but he cant even give me £10 every now and then.I dont blame him, its not his fault, I know he would help if he could.

I had 2 jobs before coming to university, but one i quit and one wont let me go back in holidays. I have desperately tried and tried to get a job up at uni- the union, the town, the big shopping centre, restaurants, absolutely everywhere, just with no luck whatsoever. I have even looked for promotion work, leaflet distributing, absolutely everything- I am trying.

My accomodation is ridiculously expensive- almost £5000 for the year. My flatmates have ruined the flat, so I can count on not getting my £150 deposit back. Next term I am left with £30 a week, from what I worked out after taking my accomodation off my loans etc. Now, I know this is live-able, but its not practical. Ive never been a 'spoilt rich kid' but I am having to sacrifice socially because I cant afford it. I can get food to cost around £10 a week, which leaves me £10 to 'enjoy'. If I go out for a meal once in the week with friends then I cant do anything the rest of the week. I feel like Im missing out on making lots of friendships because most the people I have met at uni have their accomodation paid for and still get regular deposits from their parents. They always want to catch taxis everywhere, even when I ask to catch the bus cos its a lot cheaper- or walk. I have joined societies but next term how can I go when I wont have the money to pay for them? So basically, Im running out of money bad ways, and next term is going to be even worse- any advice? Saving advice?

Im sorry if this sounds like a rant :frown: but i really do put effort into getting a job, and it feels like the lazy rich kids have everything they want.
speak to someone at the uni...

perhaps a hardship fund would be available or they may offer help or show you options that you were unaware of
Reply 2
Original post by Ice-Baby
Hi :smile: Basically, I am in my first year of university, I get the full grant, loan and bursary (not a lot because my uni doesnt give much) and basically I am really struggling. I have had to pay off my accomodation myself (like a lot of people) but i really do mean I get NOTHING off my family. My household income is very low and if my Dad could help me he would, but he cant even give me £10 every now and then.I dont blame him, its not his fault, I know he would help if he could.

I had 2 jobs before coming to university, but one i quit and one wont let me go back in holidays. I have desperately tried and tried to get a job up at uni- the union, the town, the big shopping centre, restaurants, absolutely everywhere, just with no luck whatsoever. I have even looked for promotion work, leaflet distributing, absolutely everything- I am trying.

My accomodation is ridiculously expensive- almost £5000 for the year. My flatmates have ruined the flat, so I can count on not getting my £150 deposit back. Next term I am left with £30 a week, from what I worked out after taking my accomodation off my loans etc. Now, I know this is live-able, but its not practical. Ive never been a 'spoilt rich kid' but I am having to sacrifice socially because I cant afford it. I can get food to cost around £10 a week, which leaves me £10 to 'enjoy'. If I go out for a meal once in the week with friends then I cant do anything the rest of the week. I feel like Im missing out on making lots of friendships because most the people I have met at uni have their accomodation paid for and still get regular deposits from their parents. They always want to catch taxis everywhere, even when I ask to catch the bus cos its a lot cheaper- or walk. I have joined societies but next term how can I go when I wont have the money to pay for them? So basically, Im running out of money bad ways, and next term is going to be even worse- any advice? Saving advice?

Im sorry if this sounds like a rant :frown: but i really do put effort into getting a job, and it feels like the lazy rich kids have everything they want.

Well, it's just going to be a case of carrying on with the job hunt, any freelance work you can find, or credit from your bank e.g. interest-free student overdraft.

Might I ask though, what sort of accommodation you're paying £5k a year for? My house comes to around 2.5k + a few hundred more for bills. Likewise, halls last year were around £4.3k inc. food and utilities.
Reply 3
Your accomodation sounds far too expensive to me, you need to get out as that is eating up most of your cash.

I can take a look through your CV if you want, seems like you aren't getting very successful in the way of interviews? PM me if you want help.
Reply 4
If I was you I would make sure you have a student overdraft. Ive been in the same situation for the last three years at uni - Im only entitled to the loan and I don't get anything from my family so that means I have just that to live off - only just enough to cover rent etc, the overdraft has been the only thing that has kept me going - I would definitely recommend it.

Also I would certainly look for cheaper accommodation - I assume you are currently in halls? Definitely for your second year look at moving into a shared house, this is likely to reduce costs a fair bit.
Reply 5
Aww guys thanks so much for your positive words :smile: there are some really nice people on TSR :smile:

Yeh, im currently in halls, i thought i would be fine with money tbh.
Im actually normally quite good with interviews and im generally quite lucky- if i get an interview, i normally get the job (not always)- just lucky really. But I havent had any replies! So your quite right, perhaps my CV needs tweaking? 'TravelGuru' I will message it to you sometime when Im not so busy!

Unfortunately, Im planning on going into halls again next year, because I havent made any friends to share a house with :frown:
Its not quite £5000 here, but it is close, £4600 or something similar....sorry, maybe slight exaggeration there- but yeh, Its expensive as i still have to pay for my own food :frown:

Im hoping to get a full time job over summer to help pay my accomodation next year, but other than that Im just finding it really difficult coping.

It wont be enough to not cope- but socially, Im just going to end up staying in all the time.

Thank you though for your support :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Don't know what uni you're at, maybe you're living in London or somewhere really expensive, but at my uni (Loughborough) £4600 would be one of the most expensive self-catered halls there is. Are there no cheaper options for accomodation?

:smile:Ask your uni about hardships loans - checkout the Government student finance website. Do you have a bank account, most banks offer student accounts with an interest free overdraft.

I just thought of something else you could try for the holidays, au pair work in Europe,/America/Australia or maybe tutoring some middle class kids whose parents can afford to pay you, baby sitting. Events work, usually advistise on line or in agencies. Erm, that's it for now, good luck.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
You get maximum grant?

Grant - £2906
Loan - £3497 (not sure if this is right. I did £4,950 [max loan] minus 50p for every £1 bursary which I think is how they do it).
Bursary - £1,000 (I stalked and you're at Sheffield, right?

So that's £7,363. Minus £4,600 accom and that's £2,763 which is £53 a week if you include the holidays as well. Surely that's enough? Maybe I went wrong somehwere :erm:
Original post by ily_em
You get maximum grant?

Grant - £2906
Loan - £3497 (not sure if this is right. I did £4,950 [max loan] minus 50p for every £1 bursary which I think is how they do it).

So that's £7,363. Minus £4,600 accom and that's £2,763 which is £53 a week if you include the holidays as well. Surely that's enough? Maybe I went wrong somehwere :erm:

looks right to me.
Reply 10
Original post by ily_em
You get maximum grant?

Grant - £2906

hey :smile: well i only get £600 bursary :/
also, the accomodation installment for next term is bigger than for this term- hence why i will only have £30 a week...not sure why it works like that
Only a small thing but may help... if you don't already do this then try planning your meals ahead each week and then compile you and your flatmates money and have group meals. I do it this way and we have managed to cut down from spending around £20 each to £5.
Reply 12
hey :smile: well i only get £600 bursary :/
also, the accomodation installment for next term is bigger than for this term- hence why i will only have £30 a week...not sure why it works like that

Ah I see :/ Accom is not spread evenly at UCL either, makes it pretty difficult for some people :/
Are you at Sheffield?

I don't think you can be because there isn't a £600 bursary. Their bursaries are

Income Threshold Income Bursary Outreach Bursary
Under £18,000 £1,000 £400
£18,001 to £25,000 £750 £250
£25,001 to £30,000 £500 £150
£30,001 to £35,000 £250 £50

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending