The Student Room Group

What do you do in a Law degree?

I was just wondering what the different types of work you do in Law are. I don't mean the areas of law like Tax/Land/Criminal etc, I mean is it made up of lots of essay writing or mooting or exams?

Very simple question I know :L. Also does it vary from uni to uni?

Would you recommend a Law degree?
Reply 1
You could just look at uni websites...
Yeah it varies form uni to uni. But i don't go to uni, so i can't help with that..
It varies. Mountains of reading where the lectures will provide a skeleton and you have to flesh it out by yourself. You may be given an essay to hand in every week or so for tutorials/supervisions. You may get an assignment for a module which counts for a certain percentage of your final grade. Most, if not all, universities will have exams that count for your entire grade or part of it.

Mooting is essentially a society. Some universities have an assessment for mooting which is mandatory but after that, it's up to you if you want to take part in mooting competitions.

Do law if you like it or are passionate about it. Many people drop out of Law because they were unsure about the subject and what it entailed going into it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by S129439
I was just wondering what the different types of work you do in Law are. I don't mean the areas of law like Tax/Land/Criminal etc, I mean is it made up of lots of essay writing or mooting or exams?

Very simple question I know :L. Also does it vary from uni to uni?

Would you recommend a Law degree?

It varies quite a bit from uni to uni. What you will do at any uni is write answers to problem questions (applying the law to a set of facts) and essays (arguing about the law--whether it should be reformed or is satisfactory). You will sit exams at any uni, though how heavily they're weighted will vary substantially. At Oxford and Cambridge exams are the only assessment. Other unis do it differently, and you might have assessed coursework. You will probably have lectures and small-group teaching sessions (at Oxford/Cambridge, these will have about two to four people, but at most unis they're quite a bit bigger). Most of your time will be in independent study--reading textbooks, cases, and articles. Do you have other, more specific questions?

I love studying law. If the subject interests you, it's great. I wouldn't recommend it as a degree if you want to be a lawyer, but aren't interested in the academic study of law. And Apegoneinsane is right about the workload--it's *very* heavy.
Reply 5
Look at the modules.
Reply 6
Independent research. (If you need this explained, I'm afraid I can't help you.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending