The Student Room Group

BTEC System

Hello everyone,
Proud to say I recieved a offer this morning from my university, I'm kind of paranoid as my college won't be open next week due to Christmas holidays. The problem I don't understand how BTEC grading system works in comparison to the UCAS Tariff System. Like for example, I will explain below:
Pass - 6 Points
Merit - 12 Points
Distinction - 18 Points
If I got all merits in all 12 of my unit's (BTEC National Cert in Business Management)
I should end up with 144 points.
But I how can I convert that 144 BTEC Points in UCAS Points, is there anything I can calculate it by somehow :/?

Thanks for reading.
Reply 1
Hello! I am doing a National Diploma in Engineering which is a BTEC so I'm in the same situation as you really, I looked on UCAS and found this part about BTEC qualifications which may be helpful?
Reply 2
Oh hey, do you have a possible link to actually look into please?
Reply 3
I think thats 160 ucas points.
Reply 4
Original post by JJesso
I think thats 160 ucas points.

This is what I'm talking about though, someone said something similar to this estimate but how do they know it would be equivalent to that?
Reply 5
Original post by Starsurge
This is what I'm talking about though, someone said something similar to this estimate but how do they know it would be equivalent to that?

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/

BTEC qualifications (QCF) (Suite of qualifications known as Nationals)

Copy it and ctrl and F go that box Its very confusing system.
Reply 6
I think you need to refer to this.
Reply 7
Original post by stuck4aname
I think you need to refer to this.

Yeah! thats the UCAS page I was talking about, thanks for posting the link, I forgot to include one :colondollar: .
Reply 8
Yeah I seen that already, but what I'm trying to get at the BTEC Unit Points are different to the UCAS Points,
For example if I wanted to get DM (12 units)
How many unit's need to be distinctions and same for the merit's?
Also do you think colleges give you the chance to add more unit's to your certificate for more points?
Reply 9
Yeah I seen that already, but what I'm trying to get at the BTEC Unit Points are different to the UCAS Points,
Also do you think colleges give you the chance to add more unit's to your certificate for more points?
There are two stages to this: first of all the points you get for individual modules are converted into Pass, Merit, or Distinction grades for the BTEC. When you have these, you then check the UCAS tariff tables to see what the conversion into UCAS points is.

The conversion for BTEC points to a certain grade is in the course specification on the Edexcel site here: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/BTEC%20Nationals/312616_BN018372_NACD_Business_L3.pdf. If the link doesn't work, just go onto the Edexcel site, choose BTEC Nationals, business, specifications and download from there.

In summary though, it's 144 BTEC unit points to get DM. Regarding extra units, it would probably depend on if your college also teaches the national diploma and runs any extra units you could pick up. If they don't, they're not likely to start running extra units on the side just for you. This is assuming that Edexcel will even let you take extra units. It might say in the specification somewhere if you can be bothered to look through it, or in one of the other documents on the site.
Reply 11
Thanks exopaladin, I found the information I needed on page 564, now I know what's units need to be done now, thanks everyone else who tried to help me also

/Thread closed :smile:
Reply 12
Oh by the way one last question do I need to get bare minimum to reach the grade boundary for example
120-143 for MM, so getting 120 and above will achieve that MM criteria which is 160 ucas right?
Reply 13
Original post by Scarce2324
Oh by the way one last question do I need to get bare minimum to reach the grade boundary for example
120-143 for MM, so getting 120 and above will achieve that MM criteria which is 160 ucas right?

Your points must be over or equal to 144 for you to achieve DM, if you get below or equal to 143 your final result will be MM, :smile:

if your not already using it

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/BTEC%20Nationals/312616_BN018372_NACD_Business_L3.pdf

page 556 or page 564 should explain everything you need :smile:
Reply 14
I know for 360 you need DDD (3 A's) at National Diploma.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending