The Student Room Group

Can I apply for another course at another uni while still at my current uni?

Hey there, I do mechanical engineering at Nottingham (1st year) but have a feeling I may fail my mid-term exams/the year.

Is it possible to apply to a different course/apply to repeat the year at another university via UCAS while still at nottingham? Could I use the same reference as before I would I have to get a reference from my tutor at Nottingham?

Thanks
Original post by Nottingham_Banker
Hey there, I do mechanical engineering at Nottingham (1st year) but have a feeling I may fail my mid-term exams/the year.

Is it possible to apply to a different course/apply to repeat the year at another university via UCAS while still at nottingham? Could I use the same reference as before I would I have to get a reference from my tutor at Nottingham?

Thanks

Yes, you can apply through UCAS while still completing your current year (or before you drop out). You will have to declare your current year at Nottingham on your new application as your funding status will be affected - you may find yourself having to pay full fees for a new Level 1 at a different University (approx £9,000 a year); you can usually get funding for the length of your course + 1 year, but possibly only when you're studying at the same University.

They may insist on an academic reference from your current uni, and will want you to clarify what you felt went wrong and why that won't happen this time.
bump for anyone else who can help
Reply 3
Original post by anythingbutord
Yes, you can apply through UCAS while still completing your current year (or before you drop out). You will have to declare your current year at Nottingham on your new application as your funding status will be affected - you may find yourself having to pay full fees for a new Level 1 at a different University (approx £9,000 a year); you can usually get funding for the length of your course + 1 year, but possibly only when you're studying at the same University.

They may insist on an academic reference from your current uni, and will want you to clarify what you felt went wrong and why that won't happen this time.

I've done this, of the four that have got back to me one's asked for an additional reference from my current uni and three haven't asked what went wrong at all.

From what I understood of what the advisor person said to me, it counts as your +1 year because it's still your first degree regardless of whether you change university. I will check that though when I go back because you've scared me now.

Hope that helps.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending