The Student Room Group

How many pressies do your parents give you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Last year - £20 in a card

This year - a dvd.

I'm an adult afterall, why should my dad get me more than I get him? If the OP is under 16 and the presents are quite cheap like a fiver each then that's fair enough though I think.
Um, Ive gotten nothing in the last 4 years or so.

My parents pay for uni though, so I'm not bitching.

Most of you guys getting presents haven't even stepped inside a church in your life yet you're celebrating Christmas like you go every week.
Original post by South's Finest
Most of you guys getting presents haven't even stepped inside a church in your life yet you're celebrating Christmas like you go every week.

That's not true. I sung Christmas Carols in the church when I was a kid :awesome:

You don't have to believe in Jesus to celebrate Christmas :rolleyes:

i wouldn't ever want to step inside a church.
Original post by Liar
Last year - £20 in a card

This year - a dvd.

I'm an adult afterall, why should my dad get me more than I get him? If the OP is under 16 and the presents are quite cheap like a fiver each then that's fair enough though I think.

I'm 19 actually. And I buy him just as much as he buys me, so I reckon it's pretty fair :yep:
Original post by CookieDoughLove
I'm 19 actually. And I buy him just as much as he buys me, so I reckon it's pretty fair :yep:

you can afford £700 on gifts for your dad?
my mum got a book this christmas.
Reply 127
Original post by .Ali.
Doesn't everyone? I get more presents at Christmas, but one or two presents and then money at my birthday (I like to go on shopping sprees! :biggrin:).

I get more at Christmas to! but I never understood why, surely it makes more sense to spend more on birthdays when there's only one person to buy for at a time, than Christmas when even if you only have one child you have the rest of your family as well to buy for. All of my friends get lots on their birthday's and a small thing for Christmas and I thought I was weird for it being the other way round
That's not true. I sung Christmas Carols in the church when I was a kid :awesome:

You don't have to believe in Jesus to celebrate Christmas :rolleyes:

"Christmas or Christmas Day is a holiday observed generally on December 25 to commemorate the birth of Jesus, the central figure of Christianity."
So why do you celebrate Christmas ?
Original post by DesignFreak
It's weird to get more things at Christmas?
In my family christmas has always been bigger for gifts and stuff xD

I always get so much more at my birthday (which IMO is so much more important to me than xmas!). Its just something I'm starting to realise tbh :smile:

Original post by .Ali.
Doesn't everyone? I get more presents at Christmas, but one or two presents and then money at my birthday (I like to go on shopping sprees! :biggrin:).

Not me, if I got more presents at Christmas than on my birthday I'd be outraged! Not in a spoilt way or anything, just because I've always been seriously spoilt on my birthday. I agree about shopping sprees but I'd rather have more presents on my birthday than at Christmas. :smile:

Yup real Uggs :smile:

I am an only child yeah. I don't get much on my birthday. Well I do, I get around £150 spent on me, on my birthday, but thats obviously not much compared to Christmas, which is understandable! I like it that way, i'd rather have more at Christmas.

Oo okayy.. I think I care about my birthday a little too much haha but it is a day dedicated to just you (in this case, me lol)
Reply 130

Ahh in that case that's completely fair. How do you manage to save up hundreds of pounds just to spend on one person at xmas can i ask? Save up for months?
"Christmas or Christmas Day is a holiday observed generally on December 25 to commemorate the birth of Jesus, the central figure of Christianity."

Isn't Christmas a pagan holiday anyway?

Because I like getting presents.
Because I like giving out presents.
Because I like to have my Christmas dinner.

Tonnes of people will celebrate Christmas who don't believe in Jesus. Just the way it is. I cba to turn this into a religious discussion, so just accept that not everyone believes in the little guy apparantly born in a stable but wish to celebrate it anyway. It's not like I care if you believe in him or not, so why should you care about our opinions?
Original post by Liar
Ahh in that case that's completely fair. How do you manage to save up hundreds of pounds just to spend on one person at xmas can i ask? Save up for months?

I start my Christmas shopping around May, so spread the cost throughout the year. My Dad gives me £100 to live on whilst i'm at uni, so I just live on around 50, and save the remaining 50 and put it towards Christmas gifts.
I get about 25 presents, but my parents spend about £150 on them, which doesn't seem much compared to some of the people on here. So I guess it just depends on what kind of presents they are as to how many you get :smile:
Original post by DesignFreak
you can afford £700 on gifts for your dad?
my mum got a book this christmas.

Yes, but I start shopping early in the year to spread out the cost!
Quite a few.
But I'm not that demanding otherwise. And then they're from second hand shops, not new. Actually when I was little my mum would buy all the children's books and that was it, but now I have more specific interests it's less easy to buy for me, so I get less. Last year we gave each other an equal amount, which was nice.
Well. This year has been pretty expensive. I would be quite happy scruffing around in charity shop tatty stuff but my dad says I have to look presentable. So he buys me clothes which cost a lot...
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes, but I start shopping early in the year to spread out the cost!

That's absolutely crazy, my mum gets mad at me for buying her a book.
I might be selfish and poor, but there's no way i'd spend that on a parent at this age.
Reply 138
1 normally.

And maybe 1 or 2 small ones, I think thats enough, not really the point of christmas for me.
Reply 139
When I was younger, around 10-15. Nowadays it's around 5 and some money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending