The Student Room Group

I need help. I'm mentally screwed up! :(

urgh....i hate my life!
(edited 13 years ago)
You loser, you turned down three job opportunities, you must be a real jackass, well done.
Reply 2
Original post by blue_shift86
Hi guys,

In case you've not figured out from my post, I have some mental problems. I have just come out of 5 years of severe depression and just got back from 5 months of travelling. I am now back in the UK and looking for a job, applying randomly to anything!

The problem is i've no idea what I want to do with my life. I got interviews for: accountancy for IB, finance analyst for IT firm and recruitment consultancy thingy but turned all of them down because I was paranoid to commit to their grad schemes cos i'm not sure i want to do any of those things in the long run.

So today I was thinking again about what i want to do with my life and i kinda keep breaking down:frown:. I thought: what about an actuary, what about a school teacher, what about a fireman, what about a postman, what about a train driver, what about an air traffic controller. I am SOOO confused it's driving me back into depression:frown:. I feel my life has no purpose, no aim, no direction. I don't know what to do with myself and am starting to feel suicidal :frown:

I'm not sure why I'm posting this; good to just share it if anything. If anyone else out there is feeling similarly please get in touch as it'd be comforting knowing I wasn't alone!

Also, anyone have any clue how to decide what career I should go for? I'm paranoid of just taking anything high paying and regretting it a few months down the line!

Save me someone! :s-smilie:

You can always leave a job once you have started it, no one forces you to stay. Some places might require you to work one or two weeks notice but again, they don't force you-although it is recommended to work the notice if required. So if you do accept a job and find it's not the right one for you, just leave. That's the only way you're going to truly find out whether a job is right for you or not, by experiencing it.
Reply 3
Traveling allows you to open up your perspectives a little bit, I don't think you can just land into a job straight away and know what you want to do for a career by doing so.

Was there anything from traveling you saw that you really enjoyed?
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
You loser, you turned down three job opportunities, you must be a real jackass, well done.

Oh shut up, little boy.
I just dont feel the point to a proper career so I am planning to have a part time or small job to fit my daily needs otherwise I am going to have fun and enjoy myself really. Nothing too despressing or too involved as I dont want my job to control my life so small jobs with very little pay is fine. I am not planning to go uni for any particular job just to learn more about the subject of choice. I dont see myself anywhere in several years time, I dont think I'd rather be doing anything else than sitting here, I obviously dont have much dreams. Although I am planning to go round the world take any small job maybe see how life works on other areas of the world. E.g in Turkey its really interesting coz the way people live is completely different to london, people are more relaxed and flexible with working hours. Most have a small farm and do whatever suits them most of the time. Wow i can really talk crap at times.
To sum it up I am going through a similar phase and dont give a **** about much. Although I seem to be interested in changing something in life. Hmm hopefully you'll gt over it just think, 'everyone goes through this its a good thing i am expriencing this at a young age' the fact that your depressed shows your love to life and your expectations, furfill them you are confused, lol I can be so funny sometimes. Say something like the point of today is... and furfill this point. Maybe you just feel like a loser and need to become more confident about yourself? hmm I dunno get over it whatever it is. Actually we could really do with a bunch of people like you with the amount of people wanting a job. You are going the job climate a favour and leaving the jobs for people who actually need them and own a family. Great keep up the good work you really are a good citizen.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm not entirely sure what I wanna do either. I think the thing is to remember that you're not chaining yourself to one type of career for life by signing up for something now. I read someone that people change career about 5 times on average during their life (can't remember where though. Probs The Metro newspaper :awesome: ).

There's nothing wrong with doing a high-paying job now and doing something else a few years down the line, if money is an issue for you at the moment. My sister's best friend wanted to work in the charities sector but also wanted to earn good money to rent and furnish a nice flat, etc. So she did investment banking for a few years, got her flat etc and now works for in an NGO post out in Burundi or something.

It can be a bit overwhelming if you're recovering from illness or are still unwell. Are you in a financial position to try different things out to see what suits you best? I'm not well myself and am back at home with the parents. I'm doing a part-time MA but am not sure if I wanna go further after that, so I'm doing an unpaid internship too to see whether I like arts admin/working with charities, etc :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Roo Bix
Traveling allows you to open up your perspectives a little bit, I don't think you can just land into a job straight away and know what you want to do for a career by doing so.

Was there anything from traveling you saw that you really enjoyed?

I saw lava in hawaii - that was pretty cool! And i loved lake matheson in nz and i loved the remote fijian islands....can't see how i can get a job in that though!

Also to the other person who said about quitting. Is it really possible to quit a grad scheme without going through the 2/3 years? Like can they sue me if i just decide to leave? That's my biggest worry in committal.
Reply 8
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
II'm doing an unpaid internship too to see whether I like arts admin/working with charities, etc :smile:

Charity work is like a dream! I so want to do that and do something to help the homeless - can't bear seeing people on the streets :frown:. At the same time i think i should work, save up loads and then live off that whilst doing charity after saving up. I'm living with parents too - always have....probably always will :eek:...I want to do IB just for the dosh but missed all the applications cos i was travelling! (gah!). So now thinking of applying for actuarial science or accountancy or financey bull**** that pays half decent! Gah....crap life...*shakes fist at imaginary god and curses*
Charity work is like a dream! I so want to do that and do something to help the homeless - can't bear seeing people on the streets :frown:. At the same time i think i should work, save up loads and then live off that whilst doing charity after saving up. I'm living with parents too - always have....probably always will :eek:...I want to do IB just for the dosh but missed all the applications cos i was travelling! (gah!). So now thinking of applying for actuarial science or accountancy or financey bull**** that pays half decent! Gah....crap life...*shakes fist at imaginary god and curses*

When do the applications reopen? (I know sweet FA about IB) Would you be able to hold out til then, financially?

You wouldn't consider working in the charities sector and working your way up, helping people in that way? The pay is nothing like IB pay, I know, but still...

Here's a website if you're interested:

http://jobs.thirdsector.co.uk/

:smile:
Best advice I can give you is not to just follow the money. Who in their right mind enjoys accounting! If you've had problems with depression etc. then I suggest that you choose a career that you will actually enjoy. I studied for a degree in Business Finance and had an investment banking internship all lined up... I would have done pretty well. I turned my back on it all to do a career that I really enjoy and I wouldn't change it for the world. You spend most of your life working so it is really important that you make the right choice.
Reply 11
Dear mentally screwed up :-)

Don't be screwed up! i feel you are fresh graduate or graduated recently and it is normal to feel that way at the beginning. You have been taken care of financially while studying at school, now it is your turn to go out and take the full responsibility for a job and your livelihood. it is far from easy and it takes courage to do it. The problem is that you might become too scared and paranoid and think negatively of your chances of getting a job or performing well at work that unconsciusly you will try to avoid of getting a job and hesitating. The more you delay and hesitate of taking a job, the less chance of finding a job and your already vulnarable confidence will further detoriate. You should not be scared or hesitant, if you are not sure what you want to do, I am sure you liked some subject at school that might help you to determine what would suit you. If you are so confused or unsure, just go out, get a job as per your qualification (any) and you might pretty soon get to know whether you can do it or no. Every beginning is difficult, but to delay it means that you are slowly quitting. Just get out there and get a job, right now! You might well enjoy it and I am sure your senior collegues will enlighten you at the begining. There is another option - intership, volunteering - this might help you to gain a valuable experience that you can apply in finding a good job later on. Take care and no stress, we all have been there.
Reply 12
I saw lava in hawaii - that was pretty cool! And i loved lake matheson in nz and i loved the remote fijian islands....can't see how i can get a job in that though!

Also to the other person who said about quitting. Is it really possible to quit a grad scheme without going through the 2/3 years? Like can they sue me if i just decide to leave? That's my biggest worry in committal.

Have you ever thought about becoming a Travel Agent? I know it doesn't sound all that appealing, but I would imagine it would be alot easier to gain discounts on travel, allowing you to travel again. Or maybe, becoming a translator for another language.
Reply 13

Haha no they can not sue you... I always lie through my teeth in job interviews, hoping to project the image of a long term prospect for the company blah blah - and leave whenever I fancy, plus you can't get a bad reference so meh.

Although Iv only done this with 4 'proper' jobs, the rest are barjobs or commission only sales jobs etc
If I were you I would see a psychologist or a counsellor, to discuss your career and why you're breaking down etc.
I can't really relate to anything else, but good luck, and sorry if I wasn't that helpful : /
x
Reply 15
maybe you could do something helping other depressed people, you'll be able to relate and it won't seem forced or fake. convince yourself that you've come out of your depression and the worse time in your life and you'll be able to convince others and be an inspiration for them... if you choose to do nothing then the world will just continue on without you, it's up to you if you want to actively make a difference or change any one's life including your own! good luck
How about you do something which you actually enjoy? If you do that, then you'll be good in your job. Say if you're a social person, then look for a job in that department, or if you like drawing, an artist? If you see what i mean? Choose a job which you know you'll like! It's not worth having suicidal thoughts over! You're lucky to have life! So maybe speak to a doctor? Hope it works out for you.. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending