The Student Room Group

Cheer me up? Severe lack of motivation... cannot bring myself to do anything.. :(

hi.. basically I just really need some motivation and inspiration right now..
(edited 13 years ago)
Hi, may I suggest a song? youtube /watch?v=-ytvoRQk4Wg

Just think about the future - how will you get into a great uni or become a rich lawyer if you dont work hard now?

if you dont do well in your AS levels its really going to hurt when it comes to UCAS and pushing for A's at A2.

so many people are in your position no matter whether they are an A* student or D grade. everyones feeling the strain, you just have to push through it and be strong.

the people you're seeing go on to oxbridge worked hard. theres no point thinking about them and all the other people going to top unis because you need to think about yourself.
Original post by High As A Kite
Hi, may I suggest a song? youtube /watch?v=-ytvoRQk4Wg

Just think about the future - how will you get into a great uni or become a rich lawyer if you dont work hard now?

if you dont do well in your AS levels its really going to hurt when it comes to UCAS and pushing for A's at A2.

so many people are in your position no matter whether they are an A* student or D grade. everyones feeling the strain, you just have to push through it and be strong.

the people you're seeing go on to oxbridge worked hard. theres no point thinking about them and all the other people going to top unis because you need to think about yourself.

thanks so much for the kind words, i guess all i need to do is get the hell on with it! the hardest thing is getting started so tomorrow I am going to try and wake up early and get started. This AS year is the most important so I want to try and get good grades. thanks :smile:
ahhh i'm the same :P i really need to properly start revision :s-smilie:
:smile: maybe you should make sure you don't get distractioned, i.e. maybe spend a few hours with your computer off, TV off, and at a desk so you can actually sit and try and focus?
or kinda get a scheme in which if you do a certain amount of revision (like a chapter) then you can reward yourself with some facebook time :wink:

and just keep thinking about how wonderful it'd be to study at a great university and how you shouldn't throw that away just due to lack of motivation :biggrin:
Original post by manic_fuzz
ahhh i'm the same :P i really need to properly start revision :s-smilie:
:smile: maybe you should make sure you don't get distractioned, i.e. maybe spend a few hours with your computer off, TV off, and at a desk so you can actually sit and try and focus?
or kinda get a scheme in which if you do a certain amount of revision (like a chapter) then you can reward yourself with some facebook time :wink:

and just keep thinking about how wonderful it'd be to study at a great university and how you shouldn't throw that away just due to lack of motivation :biggrin:

hmm yeah thinking of deactivating facebook... haha, thanks tomorrow i might try having a time table, i guess all its down to is just hard work. By the way, went on your profile and saw you got 100ums at maths C1! pretty amazing, whats your board? Was your grade, a result of loadsa past papers and loadsa practise? :smile:
Original post by peachesandcream77
I'm in Year 12 and go to a top state grammar school. I did okay (TSR standard) in GCSE's, regret not revising again due to severe lack of motivation..
The thing is, I want to succeed and going to a top uni to possibly study law is a dream.. but I have no motivation right now or ever have to do any revision, sort my notes out, look at my books...

I just procrastinate, procrastinate and procrastinate and I cannot make myself do anything :frown: I don't really know what the root of this problem is.. seeing as I do want to do well, perhaps not enough? Even at school, I have no 'pride' any more in handing in homework or essays on time, or getting bad grades in tests doesn't really affect me. I'm really worried because on facebook (procrastination often leads me to refreshing the homepage a lot) I'm seeing friends in Yr 13 getting fantastic offers for Oxbridge etc. :frown:

I find, ultimately, the person who can motivate you is yourself.

I did (by TSR standard :L) below average at GCSE when I was predicted at least straight A's with 3 or 4 A*'s. I did ok on natural intelligence alone with no revision.

Take it from me, my lack of revision has meant I need to learn how to do it now which is holding back my grades and my relatively poor GCSE's almost exempt me from doing law at a top university (which is also my dream).

The bottom line for me now is that this is it. There aren't really any more chances. Without making a-levels out to be the be-all and end-all of life, they are very important. It is a simple fact that no revision and hard word = failure. If you want a dead end job with no prospects and poor quality of life then do so. But to achieve anything in life you must realise that the time is upon you! You live in a country with incredible opportunities (despite our lack of national pride) in which you can achieve what you want. Personally I find the prospect of waking up one day unfulfilled and wasted a frankly horrifying prospect and I realise that the only way to avoid that is investing in your future now!

Be your own motivation. Choose your goals and strive for them. Who knows, you might get further than you think :smile:
hmm yeah thinking of deactivating facebook... haha, thanks tomorrow i might try having a time table, i guess all its down to is just hard work. By the way, went on your profile and saw you got 100ums at maths C1! pretty amazing, whats your board? Was your grade, a result of loadsa past papers and loadsa practise? :smile:

sounds like a plan :smile:
aha thanks! AQA, and well... i didn't do much work out of lessons but that's because i had a really good 'maths buddy' so we kinda excelled really quickly together :smile: but yes, past papers are aaalways the way forward! especially being you can see how it's marked to make sure you don't lose marks on easy mistakes :tongue:
Reply 7

:colonhash:
Original post by S129439
I find, ultimately, the person who can motivate you is yourself.

I did (by TSR standard :L) below average at GCSE when I was predicted at least straight A's with 3 or 4 A*'s. I did ok on natural intelligence alone with no revision.

Take it from me, my lack of revision has meant I need to learn how to do it now which is holding back my grades and my relatively poor GCSE's almost exempt me from doing law at a top university (which is also my dream).

The bottom line for me now is that this is it. There aren't really any more chances. Without making a-levels out to be the be-all and end-all of life, they are very important. It is a simple fact that no revision and hard word = failure. If you want a dead end job with no prospects and poor quality of life then do so. But to achieve anything in life you must realise that the time is upon you! You live in a country with incredible opportunities (despite our lack of national pride) in which you can achieve what you want. Personally I find the prospect of waking up one day unfulfilled and wasted a frankly horrifying prospect and I realise that the only way to avoid that is investing in your future now!

Be your own motivation. Choose your goals and strive for them. Who knows, you might get further than you think :smile:

Could I ask what you got in your GCSE's? Sorry, I just don't really understand what you mean from your predictions, now getting worried about my GCSE's, from when you've said yours have stopped you from doing law at top uni's.
But thank you for this really insightful post, I completely agree with what you're saying, I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else! Thanks for hammering home the points that this AS year is really so crucial and one of the most important in my life seeing as it is going to decide what university I go to. Ah, I just don't know what has happened to me, I remember the days in Year 7 handing in my homework to now, cant even get out of bed in the mornings for school, my attendance is god awful, and the worse thing is I do actually care! Obviously not enough :frown: Again, thanks for the advice, I really need to change my mindset and get ready to fulfill my life and create more opportunities.

Also, seeing as you're interested in studying Law, what subjects are you doing at a level?
Had the same attitude as you last year.

Look at the best here at TSR and use that as your fuel. Strive to be better then anyone here, it should motivate you. It has for me, I gave up on education and have done no revision as I see options that can do me well in other ways. After seeing people go on about Oxford this and that, my aims are to be in a position to go there if I really wanted.
(edited 13 years ago)
Could I ask what you got in your GCSE's? Sorry, I just don't really understand what you mean from your predictions, now getting worried about my GCSE's, from when you've said yours have stopped you from doing law at top uni's.
But thank you for this really insightful post, I completely agree with what you're saying, I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else! Thanks for hammering home the points that this AS year is really so crucial and one of the most important in my life seeing as it is going to decide what university I go to. Ah, I just don't know what has happened to me, I remember the days in Year 7 handing in my homework to now, cant even get out of bed in the mornings for school, my attendance is god awful, and the worse thing is I do actually care! Obviously not enough :frown: Again, thanks for the advice, I really need to change my mindset and get ready to fulfill my life and create more opportunities.

Also, seeing as you're interested in studying Law, what subjects are you doing at a level?

Firstly by 'top uni' i mean the top 5 for law like oxbridge etc. I got mainly B's with a few A's and A*'s. However they don't really exempt you per se, it's mainly a-level results that count, but they can be looked at and if so they wont help me.

And i took non-law subjects really. No idea why. I didn't help myself.

I took law, politics, sociology, philosophy. All essay based subjects cuz im a cool-cat :ninja:
Original post by S129439
Firstly by 'top uni' i mean the top 5 for law like oxbridge etc. I got mainly B's with a few A's and A*'s. However they don't really exempt you per se, it's mainly a-level results that count, but they can be looked at and if so they wont help me.

And i took non-law subjects really. No idea why. I didn't help myself.

I took law, politics, sociology, philosophy. All essay based subjects cuz im a cool-cat :ninja:

Are you studying law at university now? If so which uni? Oh cool at your a levels, I'm also doing politics :smile:
Thanks for the advice again, not sure being on tsr at 2:10 is the best idea if I want to break the habit and get up before lunch today
I agree, for me actually what bought this thread on was seeing posts of congratulations of friends in yr 13's wall, of them having got into Oxbridge. I was thinking, wow isn't that amazing, I wonder how they must be feeling, I would love to be in that position so I guess that is something I will try to think about when trying to make myself start working.
Thanks for the advice, I mean good grades are essentially down to hard work not really natural intelligence. So sometimes I think if they can do it, then really anyone can it's probably who has done the most preparation. 'fail to prepare, prepare to fail' if only I could live by that quote, it would be all be gravy :smile:

No problem mate.

Yeah been reading up a lot about the mental aspects of things, because that is how the world works. A lot of people put up pictures of what they aim to be in front of them all the time.

Take some pictures of Oxford university, people you aspire to be like and put them somewhere where you can look at them every morning.

You seriously remind me of myself sometimes and it is not a good position to be. I have been through life without giving a **** about any school tests and homework. I can not remember once in my life I have handed in homework twice to my teacher in a row. Never tried in class.

Even though I ended up with 5A*, 5A I live life knowing that I could of gotten 9/10A* if I had tried my best. A lot of people that know me in real life that do not know my grades are taken back when they hear them. It is all about having the attitude in your head to do well and always aim for the maximum. Aim for straight A* in your A-Levels and tell your brain you can do it. Then work out how you go about doing it. Start making a plan and work hard to achieve it (unlike me). My trick was I did no work, but I worked out in my head all the shortcuts on how I could gain the maximum marks in the end whilst doing nothing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Are you studying law at university now? If so which uni? Oh cool at your a levels, I'm also doing politics :smile:
Thanks for the advice again, not sure being on tsr at 2:10 is the best idea if I want to break the habit and get up before lunch today

no unforunately. I frickin wish i was :frown:. I'm in my first AS year too.

And lmao same! 2:00-3:00Pm everyday so far these holidays. I set my alarm for 11:00am tomoz! Shockhorror!!
Original post by S129439
no unforunately. I frickin wish i was :frown:. I'm in my first AS year too.

And lmao same! 2:00-3:00Pm everyday so far these holidays. I set my alarm for 11:00am tomoz! Shockhorror!!

my alarms 9, end up snoozing for about 4 more hours... tomorrow going to try and get through 5 essays.. wish me luck haha
That's an excellent idea about having a photo of university so I can have something there as a reward. I got 4A*6A's at GCSE, compared to people at my school it was below average but I was really happy considering (again due to lack of motivation, my abysmal mock grades). However, I do kick myself because I know that I could have got 10A* not meaning to sound arrogant, well in hindsight GCSE' aren't hard.. at my school, a lot of people got 10A* and the awe and admiration I have for them when they say their result, I can't help but feel that's great, but you know I could have got that too and the only thing separating you from that person is they did a lot of revision, it seems so simple, i've realised it but just can't bring myself to do it!

Haha, that is exactly what I do! Spend ages and ages trying to figure out all the shortcuts and model answers, when I realise that I've wasted hours doing absolutely nothing.
Are you doing A levels?

Yeah A2 now. You sound like the same as me when it comes to work.

GCSE's aren't hard. Anyone that wants to learn and put in huge effort can do well in them. The amount of effort you have to put in is variable to memory etc of course.

You don't like how you didn't get 10A* because you wanted to be the best, but you were not prepared to work hard enough. Just like me. Tell yourself that and tell all those people that got 10A* mentally, your breakfast in A-Levels and you will not beat me. Do everything you can now so they do not beat you. Your A-Levels mean much more then GCSE's. I am starting to do all of this late.

EDIT: Oh yeah your going to be eaten alive in A-Levels the way your going. Make an effort to change, or you won't see the type of good grades you got at GCSE. Just keeping it real so you learn things early and not late. Happened to me, did well in Jan. Lost all interest, mentally broke down (family problems, other commitments) and did ****e in June. This Jan got nice pile of resits :smile:. I remember thinking JUST the way your thinking now.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
I'm in Year 12 and go to a top state grammar school. I did okay (TSR standard) in GCSE's, regret not revising again due to severe lack of motivation..
The thing is, I want to succeed and going to a top uni to possibly study law is a dream.. but I have no motivation right now or ever have to do any revision, sort my notes out, look at my books...

I just procrastinate, procrastinate and procrastinate and I cannot make myself do anything :frown: I don't really know what the root of this problem is.. seeing as I do want to do well, perhaps not enough? Even at school, I have no 'pride' any more in handing in homework or essays on time, or getting bad grades in tests doesn't really affect me. I'm really worried because on facebook (procrastination often leads me to refreshing the homepage a lot) I'm seeing friends in Yr 13 getting fantastic offers for Oxbridge etc. :frown:

your main issue is procrastination..... you need to set yourself 10-15 minutes of doing a task; promise yourself you'll stop but don't if you can continue if that makes sense. (ie. making revision notes for topic x) Once into it you may find that the starting momentum will carry you on and you'll end up doing 45-60 min of work... always works for me when I procrastinate...

the hardest thing is actually starting the task; once you're into it, you often get carried away.

if you're a chronic procrastinator, I'd suggest you read chapter 6 of the following book. certainly helped me out.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Focus-Power-Targeted-Thinking-More/dp/027373461X/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1293076891&sr=8-6

try and get a grip on the tendency to procrastinate now...
my alarms 9, end up snoozing for about 4 more hours... tomorrow going to try and get through 5 essays.. wish me luck haha

good luck with that :/
Reply 18
Ask yourself this question, Mate.

HOW BAD DO I WANT IT?

whether it be the A*s , Future Wealth, Social Status, Women, Impressing the Folks..

YOOOOOUUUUUU have prove to yourself that your not a useless DOLLARD.

I can almost guarantee you that 90 percent of all students have felt demotivated

due to studies. ( the remaining 10 percent are GEEKS)

But those that are aware of their situation and make a consious effort to do

something about it due to Determination, perserverance and Desire to be better

than their peers.

Always end up on top.....

Note - for these words of advise to work
(Stock House was with Lots of Coffee at least 2 weeks before exams)

WE ARE ALL WINNERS ... PEOPLE
Feel like Biology work's getting me nowhere :L even interview practice :L

:ahee: Biology is the bane of my life :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest