The Student Room Group

How to stop being so utterly materialist

It's in the title really. I know it sounds a bit ridiculous but frankly, I wanna be rid of this obsession to own rolls royces etc etc... I feel like an utter slave to the worst aspects of capitalism.

So, any tips?
Stop dreaming of owning them.
I think that what you need is to give your money to someone needier than yourself and to learn the value of sacrifice. Give the money to me and I'll make sure it gets to the right people
Reply 3
That's a real old man's car - what do you want to have one of those for?
Materialistic people often lead rubbish lives as they spend their lives pursuing physical items for themselves and get to 70 and wonder what the hell have I been doing?

Realise that your part of a big universe/cycle where people come and go and ultimately your aim is to be the best you that you can be BUT ALSO influence everyone you meet to be the best they can be TOO and try and help as many people as you can help yourself!! You're not on planet earth to work work work get a rolls royce then die, its not that simple.

Work on your inside, your purpose in life ( not career) but your actual purpose and how your going to help others.

Don't be a victim. I have interned at top firms where bankers got 1 million pound bonuses and some were the most miserable people I had ever met.
Reply 5
Original post by Installation
It's in the title really. I know it sounds a bit ridiculous but frankly, I wanna be rid of this obsession to own rolls royces etc etc... I feel like an utter slave to the worst aspects of capitalism.

So, any tips?

You only have yourself to blame.

You're only dreaming and obsessing about it? Why aren't you doing something to achieve it?
Reply 6
I would recommend Oliver James' book "Affluenza". It's an excellent account following the lives of people who are millionaires.

Also try not to buy as much, like example if you want a certain camera acknowledge that you want but that doesn't necessary mean that you need and have to go to buy it. I would suggest that you could maybe do some volunteering work might be a good idea like volunteering with people who are homeless (apologies if you are actually doing this!) Best of luck :smile:
Just what is wrong with such a predisposition in the first place?

At the end of the day - if money/materialism brings you happiness, then why not pursue it? This whole "money/things can't buy you happiness/love" is just utter nonsense frankly, fed likely by those who just wish to feel better about themselves and their own existences.

I mean fair enough if this may not be your life goal at the end of the day (i.e. you don't value money/things as something which leads to YOU'RE happiness), whoopie for you, but don't then judge OTHERS b/c it may be theirs (:rolleyes: ). OP, just DON'T pursue your goal of money/things half-heartedly, as thats where you get to the point where you're "70 and wondering what the hell have I been doing"....
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by manchild007
Just what is wrong with such a predisposition in the first place?

At the end of the day - if money/materialism brings you happiness, then why not pursue it? This whole "money/things can't buy you happiness/love" is just utter nonsense frankly, fed likely by those who just wish to feel better about themselves and their own existences.

I mean fair enough if this may not be your life goal at the end of the day (i.e. you don't value money/things as something which leads to YOU'RE happiness), whoopie for you, but don't then judge OTHERS b/c it may be theirs (:rolleyes: ). OP, just DON'T pursue your goal of money/things half-heartedly, as thats where you get to the point where you're "70 and wondering what the hell have I been doing"....

You're right, there's nothing wrong with it but I'd like to know if anyone has any tips to get rid of it.
Reply 9
Think about you being among the most poorest sections of society...you will dare then dream about any Rolls Royce.

But why are you so afraid to dream..dream whatever .. you never know..you may someday own your dream care. :smile:
Watch Fight Club. If you're already not digging the consumer lifestyle, you may just mess your pants a little.
Reply 11
what you need to do is to get addicted to cocaine and spend all your money on drugs.
Reply 12
maybe you should experience all sorts to open your mind to a lot of other things

i dunno, broaden your interest in film/science/art/literature
take up some hobby of some sort

and work on your frame of thought?
there's gotta be a self help book out there somewhere
Reply 13
buddhism..

Materialism means that you "think" things "thoughts" make "you" "happy".

But all of these are thoughts and feelings and if you were extremely aware of them would have no significance eg when you feel the feeling of desire it is a chemical feeling and turns into peace.

However its an equally "concept like materialism" to believe that "things" dont make you happy. Like thats not truth either.
Read some books on Metaphysics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending