The Student Room Group

Help? Which is better... Downe House or Cheltenham Ladies?

Hey, does anyone know which of these two is better... Downe House or Cheltenham Ladies? (esp. their Sixth Form)

I know it's quite difficult to choose one over the other as they are probably quite different (both having pros and cons), but it would be great if anyone can list out the pros/cons of each school, or even just a few reasons on why one is 'better' than the other.

I will need to make my decision very soon (in a couple of days)... but I'm still quite confused. :confused:

So far, I have rejected Badminton (hopefully, that wasn't a bad decision), which leaves me with the both of them (DH and CLC). I have also been offered an academic scholarship to DH (if that changes anything?).

Thank you!

subjects I'm considering to study in Sixth Form... Further Maths., Econ, Physics/Chemistry (either one), or Politics (maybe?)
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by n.confused
Hey, does anyone know which of these two is better... Downe House or Cheltenham Ladies? (esp. their Sixth Form)

I know it's quite difficult to choose one over the other as they are probably quite different (both having pros and cons), but it would be great if anyone can list out the pros/cons of each school, or even just a few reasons on why one is 'better' than the other.

I will need to make my decision very soon (in a couple of days)... but I'm still quite confused. :confused:

So far, I have rejected Badminton (hopefully, that wasn't a bad decision), which leaves me with the both of them (DH and CLC). I have also been offered an academic scholarship to DH (if that changes anything?).

Thank you!

subjects I'm considering to study in Sixth Form... Further Maths., Econ, Physics/Chemistry (either one), or Politics (maybe?)

what is it with all these girls schools threads today?
lol anyway, cheltenham ladies is definitely more academic and downe house more laid back, i'd say. but they're both really good schools, if you are clever enough you'll do well anywhere. i think you should go for downe house, especially because of the scholarship, i know a few people there and they seem to like it a lot. can't say that much about CLC though.
Reply 2
Original post by alfredjkwak
what is it with all these girls schools threads today?
lol anyway, cheltenham ladies is definitely more academic and downe house more laid back, i'd say. but they're both really good schools, if you are clever enough you'll do well anywhere. i think you should go for downe house, especially because of the scholarship, i know a few people there and they seem to like it a lot. can't say that much about CLC though.

Oh really? Ahaa, I didn't notice. :tongue:
Is the academic difference between CLC and DH quite significant?
I am leaning towards DH because I heard a lot of the girls in CLC are quite snobby...

Thanks for your reply!
Reply 3

Thank you!

Go to DH:biggrin: (because of the scholarship) congrats
Reply 4
Original post by pielalit
Go to DH:biggrin: (because of the scholarship) congrats

Thanks! Yea, probably will pick DH... hmmm.
Reply 5
Oh really? Ahaa, I didn't notice. :tongue:
Is the academic difference between CLC and DH quite significant?
I am leaning towards DH because I heard a lot of the girls in CLC are quite snobby...

Thanks for your reply!

I don't know really, CLC probably gets better results but that's because they're much more selective (from what I've heard anyway) and I would imagine they're a lot more pushy. I'd pick DH if I were you because you probably want to have a life too, and it seems to be a lot of fun.
Ohwell I don't actually go to either of them, so not that helpful, sorry. Maybe there are some people here who actually know the schools better than I do, good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by alfredjkwak
I don't know really, CLC probably gets better results but that's because they're much more selective (from what I've heard anyway) and I would imagine they're a lot more pushy. I'd pick DH if I were you because you probably want to have a life too, and it seems to be a lot of fun.
Ohwell I don't actually go to either of them, so not that helpful, sorry. Maybe there are some people here who actually know the schools better than I do, good luck :smile:

Hmmm... to be honest, I don't think CLC is too selective.
I have quite a few 'average' (academically) girls apply from my school (those in sets 4/5), and they got in too... but yea, I heard they did better than Downe House for A-levels this year. But apparently DH did better the year before?

Thank you though!!!
Reply 7
Hmmm... to be honest, I don't think CLC is too selective.
I have quite a few 'average' (academically) girls apply from my school (those in sets 4/5), and they got in too... but yea, I heard they did better than Downe House for A-levels this year. But apparently DH did better the year before?

Thank you though!!!

CLC is not selective? :O When I visited the school last year, they told me that they receive around 200 applications and accept around 20. So that's an acceptance rate of 10%! And when I did the exams, there were 30-40 other people sitting them with me, mostly scholarship applicants (all scholarship applicants had to sit the exams at the school). I wouldn't expect them to offer more than 3 or 4 scholarships. I don't know how many apply to Downe House though... I didn't apply there. :P

Maybe you just go to a brilliant school. :P
Reply 8
Original post by Caustica
CLC is not selective? :O When I visited the school last year, they told me that they receive around 200 applications and accept around 20. So that's an acceptance rate of 10%! And when I did the exams, there were 30-40 other people sitting them with me, mostly scholarship applicants (all scholarship applicants had to sit the exams at the school). I wouldn't expect them to offer more than 3 or 4 scholarships. I don't know how many apply to Downe House though... I didn't apply there. :P

Maybe you just go to a brilliant school. :P

Ahaa, trust me, my school isn't that brilliant! Haa, I guess the smart people are smart and the hmm... not so smart people are not so smart. :tongue:

I don't know thought, I think a lot of people apply to CLC because it is so well-known, but maybe the quality of the applicants were not that amazing? I don't know. I didn't even think I tried my hardest for the CLC paper, I begged for the invigilators to let me finish halfway through the allocated time each time, because I wanted to go home so badly (to revise for my lit. exam). So when I got an offer, I was honestly very shocked.
Reply 9
Ahaa, trust me, my school isn't that brilliant! Haa, I guess the smart people are smart and the hmm... not so smart people are not so smart. :tongue:

I don't know thought, I think a lot of people apply to CLC because it is so well-known, but maybe the quality of the applicants were not that amazing? I don't know. I didn't even think I tried my hardest for the CLC paper, I begged for the invigilators to let me finish halfway through the allocated time each time, because I wanted to go home so badly (to revise for my lit. exam). So when I got an offer, I was honestly very shocked.

well, thats the same for my school then, xD, except that no one that i know of applied to any of the schools i applied to, which was rather saddening. :frown: sorry for lack of punctuation, im on my phone + proper capitalisation is just inconvenient,

argh, i spent the month between the exams and the results pondering on the quality of the applicants, in order to evaluate my chances of success. i ended up with the conclusion that everyone i'd talked to seemed perfectly intelligent, which only served to frighten me, and make the last day of november impossible to bear.

wow, you must be so smart, finishing your papers halfway the allocated time! i fully used up all my time in everything. aaaand you got an offer too. :tongue:

when do you have to make your choice? oh, and btw: how much is your scholarship to dh worth?
Reply 10
well, thats the same for my school then, xD, except that no one that i know of applied to any of the schools i applied to, which was rather saddening. :frown: sorry for lack of punctuation, im on my phone + proper capitalisation is just inconvenient,

argh, i spent the month between the exams and the results pondering on the quality of the applicants, in order to evaluate my chances of success. i ended up with the conclusion that everyone i'd talked to seemed perfectly intelligent, which only served to frighten me, and make the last day of november impossible to bear.

wow, you must be so smart, finishing your papers halfway the allocated time! i fully used up all my time in everything. aaaand you got an offer too. :tongue:

when do you have to make your choice? oh, and btw: how much is your scholarship to dh worth?

Ahhh, really? No one from my school applied to WA/DH either... :frown:
I'm sure you had nothing to be worried about!

I am honestly not that smart, but thank you. I bet you're really smart... a scholarship to WA is really something to be proud of! :tongue:

Well, I need to reply to CLC by monday and DH pretty much thinks I'm going there already, ha.

My scholarship for Downe House carries a remission of £750. What about yours?
Reply 11
Ahhh, really? No one from my school applied to WA/DH either... :frown:
I'm sure you had nothing to be worried about!

I am honestly not that smart, but thank you. I bet you're really smart... a scholarship to WA is really something to be proud of! :tongue:

Well, I need to reply to CLC by monday and DH pretty much thinks I'm going there already, ha.

My scholarship for Downe House carries a remission of £750. What about yours?

now i know that i didnt! but at the time... :tongue: were you worried too?

well, there WERE only 8 other people competing for the scholarship... i am very glad, though! you should be proud of your scholarship too ;D

hm, how does dh manage to think that?

mine is 5pc of the school fees. :smile: thats about 1.5k per annum. but tbh it's hardly anything - i mean, FIVE... :redface: i guess it's more about the honour than the money. :biggrin:
Reply 12
now i know that i didnt! but at the time... :tongue: were you worried too?

well, there WERE only 8 other people competing for the scholarship... i am very glad, though! you should be proud of your scholarship too ;D

hm, how does dh manage to think that?

mine is 5pc of the school fees. :smile: thats about 1.5k per annum. but tbh it's hardly anything - i mean, FIVE... :redface: i guess it's more about the honour than the money. :biggrin:

I was quite worried, I suppose... but I tried to stay calm as I figured worrying over it would just stress me out even more! :tongue:

Well, they asked if I would accept the scholarship (which my parents replied a 'yes' to), but we haven't sent out the 'official' acceptance forms yet.

1.5 k per annum? Ahh, I think mine is £750 per term, which is still barely anything. The honour is definitely more significant than the money itself, in fact we considered waiving the remission.

Btw, are you set on studying PPE at uni.? Or are you also considering other courses?
Reply 13
I was quite worried, I suppose... but I tried to stay calm as I figured worrying over it would just stress me out even more! :tongue:

Well, they asked if I would accept the scholarship (which my parents replied a 'yes' to), but we haven't sent out the 'official' acceptance forms yet.

1.5 k per annum? Ahh, I think mine is £750 per term, which is still barely anything. The honour is definitely more significant than the money itself, in fact we considered waiving the remission.

Btw, are you set on studying PPE at uni.? Or are you also considering other courses?

Oh... it's separate?! It wasn't separate for any of my offers, lol.

I'm a bit frightened though, about the expectations WA might have considering I got the scholarship. :eek:

Yup! I've been set for... a year, at least. :biggrin: My A Level choices were partly geared towards the course, too, although with PPE almost any combination can do fine. You're still considering, right?
Reply 14
Oh... it's separate?! It wasn't separate for any of my offers, lol.

I'm a bit frightened though, about the expectations WA might have considering I got the scholarship. :eek:

Yup! I've been set for... a year, at least. :biggrin: My A Level choices were partly geared towards the course, too, although with PPE almost any combination can do fine. You're still considering, right?

Yea, it's pretty weird, I suppose... but I didn't really notice... I was too busy jumping up and down! :tongue:

The expectations definitely scare me too... my parents have started pressuring me about it already... :frown: Gah!

I'm definitely still considering PPE... in fact, it's the course that I could see myself enjoying, and be really passionate about... but my parents are most apprehensive about it. They keep questioning the career choices that it would allow, etc. I'm still all over the place though... I mean I'm also considering Maths and Statistics, Law, Engineering and Econ. and Management and unfortunately also Medicine (they're pushing for this)... The problem with them is that each of them require VERY different subjects! :confused:
Reply 15
Yea, it's pretty weird, I suppose... but I didn't really notice... I was too busy jumping up and down! :tongue:

The expectations definitely scare me too... my parents have started pressuring me about it already... :frown: Gah!

I'm definitely still considering PPE... in fact, it's the course that I could see myself enjoying, and be really passionate about... but my parents are most apprehensive about it. They keep questioning the career choices that it would allow, etc. I'm still all over the place though... I mean I'm also considering Maths and Statistics, Law, Engineering and Econ. and Management and unfortunately also Medicine (they're pushing for this)... The problem with them is that each of them require VERY different subjects! :confused:

ME TOOOOO! It was one of the happiest moments of my life, not exaggerating lol. To surpass expectations :rolleyes:

PPE can actually lead onto a lot of careers... Maybe you should show your parents that Oxford page, which says that it can lead onto a lot of careers? I mean, it's a pretty respected degree - getting more and more popular. I guess Maths + Science subjects at A Level would fit pretty much all your possible courses, except for Law and maaaybe PPE (but people have gotten in with them!).
Reply 16
ME TOOOOO! It was one of the happiest moments of my life, not exaggerating lol. To surpass expectations :rolleyes:

PPE can actually lead onto a lot of careers... Maybe you should show your parents that Oxford page, which says that it can lead onto a lot of careers? I mean, it's a pretty respected degree - getting more and more popular. I guess Maths + Science subjects at A Level would fit pretty much all your possible courses, except for Law and maaaybe PPE (but people have gotten in with them!).

Ahaa, I know! I think I was almost as excited as the time I opened my IGCSE Maths result!

The thing is, I'm scared that my science won't be good enough to get me A*s at A-levels (DH still does A-levels for science)... and I would honestly rather do PPE than Medicine. I suppose for Maths and Statistics, I would take Further Maths, Econ and Physics and for PPE maybe Maths, Econ and Politics... hmm, maybe I should just take Further Maths, Econ, Politics and Physics then? The thing is if I take Further Maths, it automatically means that I will need to take Maths too, which means that I'll be doing 5 subjects... probably 1 too many (for me to handle). Let's just scrape medicine out! :tongue:
Reply 17
Ahaa, I know! I think I was almost as excited as the time I opened my IGCSE Maths result!

The thing is, I'm scared that my science won't be good enough to get me A*s at A-levels (DH still does A-levels for science)... and I would honestly rather do PPE than Medicine. I suppose for Maths and Statistics, I would take Further Maths, Econ and Physics and for PPE maybe Maths, Econ and Politics... hmm, maybe I should just take Further Maths, Econ, Politics and Physics then? The thing is if I take Further Maths, it automatically means that I will need to take Maths too, which means that I'll be doing 5 subjects... probably 1 too many (for me to handle). Let's just scrape medicine out! :tongue:

Wow, you did Maths one year early? Smart. :tongue:

Well... You still have a bit of time before you have to make your decision, right? So maybe you can change your parents' minds. Anyway if you're a Mathsy person, Maths won't require much studying, so it's a bonus A Level for not much work. Are you very interested in Politics? If not, maybe you should take History instead, because History is more 'respected' by universities. :wink:
Reply 18
Wow, you did Maths one year early? Smart. :tongue:

Well... You still have a bit of time before you have to make your decision, right? So maybe you can change your parents' minds. Anyway if you're a Mathsy person, Maths won't require much studying, so it's a bonus A Level for not much work. Are you very interested in Politics? If not, maybe you should take History instead, because History is more 'respected' by universities. :wink:

Ahaa, thanks, I'm sure you're super duper smart too! :smile:

Yea, I'm glad I still have these upcoming few months to make a decision.
You see the thing with history is, I'm just worried that I would need to catch up on A LOT (since I didn't take it as an IGCSE), which worries me. I heard from my friends that there's a lot to memorise for history, is that true?
Reply 19
Ahaa, thanks, I'm sure you're super duper smart too! :smile:

Yea, I'm glad I still have these upcoming few months to make a decision.
You see the thing with history is, I'm just worried that I would need to catch up on A LOT (since I didn't take it as an IGCSE), which worries me. I heard from my friends that there's a lot to memorise for history, is that true?

Yes, there is a lot to memorise, but because History is a super duper fascinating subject, it's fun to do. :biggrin: Okay I'm biased.

But in A Level the topics studied will most likely be totally different from the ones studied at IGCSE, so you wouldn't be at any significant disadvantage. There isn't really anything to catch up on to be honest - it's not like Science or Maths where skills accumulate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending