The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Accommodation

If I end up going to BU, I will be studying on the Talbot campus.

Basically I'd just like some opinions on the best accommodation for this?

I'd rather not get the bus to campus, but that leaves The Student Village as my only option, and these rooms don't have en-suite (I'd rather be close and not have en-suite, though)

Anyway...

Replies are appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

My friend goes to BU and she lives at Lyme Regis I think it is?! And she absolutely loves it :smile:
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
I went to BU Opening Day, don't consider Student Village as somewhere to live for the year. Honestly, they did a tour around one of the houses and it was so so bad, I thought it was a stitch up it was that bad, the fact the front door was propped open by some scruffy trainer epitomised the whole thing.
Reply 3
Original post by Guini
I went to BU Opening Day, don't consider Student Village as somewhere to live for the year. Honestly, they did a tour around one of the houses and it was so so bad, I thought it was a stitch up it was that bad, the fact the front door was propped open by some scruffy trainer epitomised the whole thing.

That doesn't sound good.

Do you mean like the people rooms were really untidy and stuff, or just the building in general?
Reply 4
Original post by Jon_
That doesn't sound good.

Do you mean like the people rooms were really untidy and stuff, or just the building in general?

Well the building's looked alright rom the outside but just the general size and feel of it was horrible. By front door was some tiny little bedroom and beside that was (i guess) a "living room", the room was just dingey and all that was in there was 2 chairs facing a plain wall, I know student accommodation isn't suppose to be fancy but this place was more alike to a concentration camp.

May have just been that one house, but if that's the one they were showing off to the public, I dread to think what the rest of them are like... :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
depends entirely on what you like?
i wouldnt recommend the student village. Youre miles from anywhere.

how would OP describe themselves socially?
Reply 6
Original post by GavinHinton
depends entirely on what you like?
i wouldnt recommend the student village. Youre miles from anywhere.

how would OP describe themselves socially?

I'm pretty social, I don't really fancy being far from everything i.e. town, beach and that, I'd like it to be fairly easy to just go out whenever
Reply 7
well cranbourne is deffo the most social house. its not in a great state of repair though

lyme regis/purbeck are a bit quieter, one of them is newer and one is older, although i cant remember which

corfe is where im at and its probably the quietest, not quiet if you know the right people however. Its an awesome place, 5min walk from the beach and town, but if you want more parties all the time, go to cranbourne.

just plain avoid the student village
Reply 8
Original post by GavinHinton
well cranbourne is deffo the most social house. its not in a great state of repair though

lyme regis/purbeck are a bit quieter, one of them is newer and one is older, although i cant remember which

corfe is where im at and its probably the quietest, not quiet if you know the right people however. Its an awesome place, 5min walk from the beach and town, but if you want more parties all the time, go to cranbourne.

just plain avoid the student village

How is it getting from corfe to campus? are you on Talbot?
Reply 9
I lived in cranborne a few years ago and it is amazing if your a social person. I really wouldn't live in the student village, sure it's great if you want to live at uni but it's to far from town/beach if you want to go to those reguarly.
Original post by Jon_
How is it getting from corfe to campus? are you on Talbot?

its honestly fine.
if you want 9am lectures/seminars etc you get the 8.10 bus from literally a 2-3min walk away from corfe. getting back is fine and the buses are NEVER full so its easy.

the only slightly annoying thing about corfe atm is going out in bournemouth as there isnt a bus back to poole after 12 so its a taxi, means you have to get 5 or 6 people to come with you to split the cost and its not so bad. Although we had the student president come talk to us about maybe getting a bus put on at 2am or something that gets us back here.

Edit- yes am at talbot
Reply 11
I'm going to be applying for Purbeck I think.
Reply 12
Sweet. Cheers for the replies :smile:
Reply 13
hey guys...anybody knows which one is the best for postgraduate student. I'm starting from September. Doing my MA means that i need some quiet place for studying. Even though i need some partying some times. But mostly i think i need a place that i can study without any base kicking in my head every night.

Replies are appreciated
Reply 14
Original post by mosk
hey guys...anybody knows which one is the best for postgraduate student. I'm starting from September. Doing my MA means that i need some quiet place for studying. Even though i need some partying some times. But mostly i think i need a place that i can study without any base kicking in my head every night.

Replies are appreciated

Same... bump
Can I ask when and how do we apply for the accommodation at BU? Do they come to us or do we apply for somewhere? Is there a deadline?
Reply 16
Original post by Snagprophet
Can I ask when and how do we apply for the accommodation at BU? Do they come to us or do we apply for somewhere? Is there a deadline?

I think we can only apply after results day and obviously if weve got our results. Then we just have to go on bournemouth website and fill in a form and im not sure if its first come first serve so be quick just incase it is :P
Reply 17
How about the Unilet? I've checked the price and most of them are cheaper than Okeford/Corfe. Is staying at Unilet is a good idea? Any comment about this?

Any recommendation is highly appreciated :wink:
Original post by Snagprophet

we apply on results day when the offer turned into a unconditional one... if you apply now and you dont get the grades and dont end up going... you still have to pay the money cause you agreed to the contract :/ sucks i know...
Original post by sammycjones
we apply on results day when the offer turned into a unconditional one... if you apply now and you dont get the grades and dont end up going... you still have to pay the money cause you agreed to the contract :/ sucks i know...

Ah, yeah, I checked the website. Thanks, I was just scared of missing out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending