The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
Aww.

It's guys like you that I like. Chase your dream and you may never know what girl is around the corner.

But chase the girl, will you get the "career"?

:smile:

Put it this way, if I don't get the career; I've failed my own life. Its all I want to do. Pretty much all I think about.
I'll go for the career, and hope to find someone along the way. :colondollar:

It just love having that goal. Looking everyday at my times and seeing how I'm getting faster and faster. Watching videos back and seeing myself ride and getting better.

I just think that feeling is second to none. And until I reach the best biker in the world, I'll relish in it. :wink: Haha. :cool:
Reply 341
Is that true? That's quite interesting...

(I'll be happy to explain why I think that).

dont know if its true or not, its not a statistic or anything, just an observation. ive just found that men are more ambitious and will go after possessions, success and power, whereas women would prefer a decent relationship and to be happy :smile:
Original post by gradjobplease
Let me tell you this, I doubt it will change your perceptions, but at least it might let ground you a little.

My dad died 2 years ago, I still can't get over it. I would give up my first class degree, my future, my friends, **** even an arm or a leg just to see him again for one single ****ing day. That's how much I miss him.

You don't realise until the people you care about are gone just how trivial "accomplishments" really are. Getting my degree meant nothing to me because my dad wasn't there to see me receive it. It's just a piece of ****ing paper.

I hope one day you come to understand that.

I'm sorry to hear about that.

But you do know that there are people in life who do not share the same perspective as you?
No, you could meet your "perfect partner" and 5 years down the line, they are not perfect anymore.

This thread is not about Cambridge.

How do you now if you get married you won't get divorce?

Who the **** marries just to divorce?

Your perfect man could EASILY change, and how would you know?

People don't marry just to get divorce :P Noone knows the future. It's life experience. There are tough times and good times.

You could say the same thing for both careers and loves. :smile: My perfect man could easily change and it's the same for my perfect career.

Have you ever watched 'Postgrads' ? It's a film. This girl worked her way up since age 10, did really well at school, tried to get scholarship, do the course everybody wanted to do and it's her dream, tried to do well to keep her scholarship and then after graduated she wanted (so badly) to work in a large publishing company.

She got the job. She did not look at anyone behind her who encourages her to be where she is. She left them for the job, ...and then what.. working? dream career? Is that all life is about? Caring about yourself and not anyone else? She realised that sometimes people want soemthings else other than just persuing their own dream. Life is not just careers and dreams. :P

I don't really know how I can put my explaination in the most understandable words. I am just trying to point out that careers is not everything. I, for one, believe that once I find a perfect person he will make me happy everyday even if we have no food to eat or struggling in life so bad. As he is a 'perfect' person, he will always be there for me, when I have tough times I will know that someone will be sitting next to me and tell me everything will be ok.
My boss won't do that to me, my colleagues won't do that to me. :P

Once you get to that situation where you have your partner, family ... you will choose family/love..I doubt you will choose careers....

Fighting for your dream career? And then what... work? competing with people at company? It shows you are ambitious but it doesn't mean you are going to be happy.
NO. I'm sure you'll be able to have both if you're not stupid.
Reply 345
Original post by Cicerao
lolwut. Being social is an inherited trait? I think someone needs to go back to school.

The conception of struggle for existence as a factor of evolution, introduced into science by Darwin and Wallace, has permitted us to embrace an immensely wide range of phenomena in one single generalization, which soon became the very basis of our philosophical, biological, and sociological speculations.

An immense variety of facts: -- adaptations of function and structure of organic beings to their surroundings; physiological and anatomical evolution; intellectual progress, and moral development itself, which we formerly used to explain by so many different causes, were embodied by Darwin in one general conception.

We understood them as continued endeavours -- as a struggle against adverse circumstances -- for such a development of individuals, races, species and societies, as would result in the greatest possible fulness, variety, and intensity of life. It may be that at the outset Darwin himself was not fully aware of the generality of the factor which he first invoked for explaining one series only of facts relative to the accumulation of individual variations in incipient species.

But he foresaw that the term which he was introducing into science would lose its philosophical and its only true meaning if it were to be used in its narrow sense only -- that of a struggle between separate individuals for the sheer means of existence. And at the very beginning of his memorable work he insisted upon the term being taken in its "large and metaphorical sense including dependence of one being on another, and including (which is more important) not only the life of the individual, but success in leaving progeny."
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
Brilliant. I read that in the Law of Success by Napoleon Hill. :wink:

Thanks for that book reference. :smile:
Imo, for SOME people family = happiness, for SOME people career = happiness. :smile:

Yep. It is 'subjective'. :smile:

Now get over the fact that some people choose love over careers. :P
Yes, if I truly loved the person and couldn't imagine my life without them. What's the point in having a really succesful job and lots of money if you don't have someone you know is special to share that with?
Reply 349
perfect career! what if you split up with them in the future and regretted not persuing your dream?
Original post by Harry.C
How is it pseudo-biology? would you like to tell me? this is all darwin, and you can't make your claims of career success over family fit.

Certain traits make for evolutionary success, and those are the traits that will subsequently dominate the gene pool. The system only works if you are actually passing on your genes, otherewise everthing would die out. Therefore, there should be an intrinsic desire in creatures to have children.

Being social was a successful trait, so is passed on.

I will do what I want in life, regardless of what these stupid genes instruct me to do.
Reply 351
Original post by Harry.C
The conception of struggle for existence as a factor of evolution, introduced into science by Darwin and Wallace, has permitted us to embrace an immensely wide range of phenomena in one single generalization, which soon became the very basis of our philosophical, biological, and sociological speculations.

An immense variety of facts: -- adaptations of function and structure of organic beings to their surroundings; physiological and anatomical evolution; intellectual progress, and moral development itself, which we formerly used to explain by so many different causes, were embodied by Darwin in one general conception.

We understood them as continued endeavours -- as a struggle against adverse circumstances -- for such a development of individuals, races, species and societies, as would result in the greatest possible fulness, variety, and intensity of life. It may be that at the outset Darwin himself was not fully aware of the generality of the factor which he first invoked for explaining one series only of facts relative to the accumulation of individual variations in incipient species.

But he foresaw that the term which he was introducing into science would lose its philosophical and its only true meaning if it were to be used in its narrow sense only -- that of a struggle between separate individuals for the sheer means of existence. And at the very beginning of his memorable work he insisted upon the term being taken in its large and metaphorical sense including dependence of one being on another, and including (which is more important) not only the life of the individual, but success in leaving progeny.

If you're going to post a tl;dr, at least don't plagiarise it ffs! :colonhash:
I'd rather have a career that's good enough and a perfect partner than a perfect career and a partner that's good enough.

Careers are taken up for purposes. Unless you're one of the lucky few who can pursue what they truly love and make a career from it, I don't think it could replace being with a perfect person.
For me, I'd pick a perfect career over a perfect partner.

If you put everything into your relationship and give up everything, put aside everything you've aspired to be, what are you going to do one day when the man who was perfect for you at the start isn't any more?
Original post by NeonSkies
I think this too, but you seem to be questioning everyone who thinks differently to your views, i.e. not wanting a career over a relationship.

If you want to persue a career and not have a family with a partner that is entirely your choice and I'm not going to judge, but I won't stand for people judging my choice to want a comfortable life with a partner over a high flying career.

Yeah. I agree.

I believe that people should do what they prefer (career v family) and not be looked down upon for their decision.

I ask questions, because, why not? I also question those who think the same.
If my perfect partner was rich, then yes!
Original post by Reformed2010
I don't want to die alone.

Err, you will die alone irrespective if you're married or not? :lolwut:
Partner :smile:
Original post by sugar_and_spice
Yes, if I truly loved the person and couldn't imagine my life without them. What's the point in having a really succesful job and lots of money if you don't have someone you know is special to share that with?

The concept is that you are putting career before family. It does not say that you would never settle down. You could have a successful job, money and also someone. It is about the point where that person comes into your life and where abouts you prioritise that. Turn the idea on its head what is the point in compromising a really successful job for the sake of a relationship with a "perfect" partner who you may not be with in 10 years time and by then may not be able to pursue your career to the same level should you have other financial, family commitments.
Original post by albertb
dont know if its true or not, its not a statistic or anything, just an observation. ive just found that men are more ambitious and will go after possessions, success and power, whereas women would prefer a decent relationship and to be happy :smile:

I honestly believed there would be no gender difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending