The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
I've given up my life-long plans to have a military career for this girl... But she's worth it.

If things don't work out with her for any reason, I can always get back on track with my dream job.
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
Why can't an ideal future include a partner......?

I presume all of us have our own independent ambitions, right?
Why can't an ideal future include a partner......?

because 'im so academic' is trying to prove some inane point about how a career is the absolute most important thing ever and that she's so much more wise and enlightened than everyone else by being above such petty things as human relationships
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Definitely the relationship.

Why?
Original post by countryfile
Perfect partner.

Hell, I give up vital things because I love him and he's far from perfect.

Vital things? What about everything that you've ever dreamed of? Would you be a housewife in order to be with him?
probably perfect partner, cos money cant buy you love.and whats the point of working every day until you die, and not experiencing love? money isnt as important as people make it out to be.
Original post by C_B_C
I've given up my life-long plans to have a military career for this girl... But she's worth it.

If things don't work out with her for any reason, I can always get back on track with my dream job.

Hypothetically, what if you couldn't?
Reply 467
Original post by im so academic
In other words, you have no ambitions for yourself other than finding the perfect partner?

I don't think you understood my first comment. I said my ideal future includes a partner who will share my dreams with me. Meaning that, I do in fact have ambitions. But without sharing it with a person who makes me feel complete, there is no 'perfect' future. I'm a very social person, I talk to a lot of people, have a few close friends but they don't replace a good partner. I'm not dependent on others, at all. But still want to share my life. Also, considering 'kids' in the future, I wouldn't want to have kids from a partner who I'm not happy with. (Some users wrote that they care about their children more than their partner so they would go for an ideal future rather than an ideal partner).
(edited 13 years ago)
I presume all of us have our own independent ambitions, right?

Yes.

But this doesn't mean you are unable to achieve these with a partner. You don't have to sacrifice one or the other. People have successful careers and happy relationships, no?
Original post by mermania
because 'im so academic' is trying to prove some inane point about how a career is the absolute most important thing ever and that she's so much more wise and enlightened than everyone else by being above such petty things as human relationships

:yes: I understand. Madness. The irony is, this will probably prevent her from ever having a successful or meaningful relationship. Shame.:rolleyes:
Reply 470
Neither is important to me.
Reply 471
Perfect partner because it wouldn't be my ideal future without that special person to spend it with. I don't mind as long as I'm living a decent live with that special person.
And realising that every day, I could've done something, I could've worked for my goals, I could've made my dreams happen...

And? I couldn't give a **** if no one came to my funeral; or even if I were thrown onto a skip. I'm dead, I really wouldn't care.

For me it isn't.

Bring in the age card. :rolleyes:

Then I got sense and realised "**** that, I have one shot in life, I'll do what I want".

Does it happen for everyone?

This question is worded to see what you would pick if you HAD to choose one or the other.

do you mind me asking, how old ar you? its unusual to see a girl who is so independant!! you go girl! problem is when girls like you hit 23 and everyone is giving up everything to let their life revolve abut a dude, it is hard NOT to do that
Original post by inksplodge

Original post by inksplodge
probably perfect partner, cos money cant buy you love.and whats the point of working every day until you die, and not experiencing love? money isnt as important as people make it out to be.

What if love is irrelevant for you? What if you have other things in life you want to do?

Remember not everyone's ideal future contains love OR money.
Original post by OceanSoul
I don't think you understood my first comment. I said my ideal future includes a partner who will share my dreams with me. Meaning that, I do in fact have ambitions. But without sharing it with a person who makes me feel complete, there is no 'perfect' future. I'm a very social person, I talk to a lot of people, have a few close friends but they don't replace a good partner. I'm not dependent on others, at all. But still want to share my life. Also, considering 'kids' in the future, I wouldn't want to have kids from a partner who I'm not happy with. (Some users wrote that they care about their children more than their partner so they would go for an ideal future rather than an ideal partner).

What I meant was that, in order to fulfil your ambitions, you had to give up your partner. And if you were with your partner, you had to let go of your ambitions. IRRELEVANT whether your perfect partner would allow you to do achieve your dreams.

Especially since my ideal future is WITHOUT children - what guy doesn't want children?
Yes.

But this doesn't mean you are unable to achieve these with a partner. You don't have to sacrifice one or the other. People have successful careers and happy relationships, no?

Of course, but when it boils down to it - which is more important to you?

Also, what guy doesn't want children? I don't want children, you think a guy would be interested in me if I told him straight "I don't want kids and I don't want marriage"?
:yes: I understand. Madness. The irony is, this will probably prevent her from ever having a successful or meaningful relationship. Shame.:rolleyes:

So? I have other things in my life I want to do.

"Successful/meaningful" relationships aren't the be all or the end all of life.
Reply 477
What I meant was that, in order to fulfil your ambitions, you had to give up your partner. And if you were with your partner, you had to let go of your ambitions. IRRELEVANT whether your perfect partner would allow you to do achieve your dreams.

Especially since my ideal future is WITHOUT children - what guy doesn't want children?

Hmm... my ideal future is not about materialistic needs (i.e. money) - should mention that. I could do without a 'perfect' partner to achieve my ambitions. But what I write on this thread isn't changing the way I want my life, I'm only stating it's possible for me to be successful and achieve my ideal 'plans' but I still want a perfect partner and since my future is WITH children, I still want a perfect partner :p:
To be perfectly honest. The OP's question is dependent on what your dreams actually are. I mean most people haven't really thought about what they want in life so they just say partner - and yeah it relatively makes sense. However, if you have passionate dreams, big dreams - not things like climbing the corporate ladder, I mean big, large dreams that you are enthusiastic about. Even though everyone is different, I'm certain that 9/10 would favour dreams > partner.

Many people are just brought up to believe that Dreams/Career = Money =/ Happiness which is nonsense.

As I said, I wouldn't mind having JSA money as my wage because my dream is just too much to give up for another person. It's not even selfish it just makes sense.

Sure if you can only see your "best future" as a top whatever, then you're limited once you reach that rank. However if you escalate your dream/career to the next level your mind will be blown.

Maybe a preliminary thread should have been made..

"What are your dreams?"

The answers you receive from that thread would determine the results from this thread.
(edited 13 years ago)
Of course, but when it boils down to it - which is more important to you?

Also, what guy doesn't want children? I don't want children, you think a guy would be interested in me if I told him straight "I don't want kids and I don't want marriage"?

So? I have other things in my life I want to do.

"Successful/meaningful" relationships aren't the be all or the end all of life.

Neither is more or less important to me. I want both. I can have both. Both will take priority at different points in my life, but neither will be more or less significant than the other.

Plenty of blokes don't want kids or marriage either, just as plenty of women don't.

I'm perfectly aware of that, thank you. I just don't think you should say I want X, which means I have to give up Y, if you want something enough, you can have it. You don't have to give up getting married and having children because you want to have a successful career.

You have a strange approach to life, I hope it works out for you - I fear you may end up very lonely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending