The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by History123

Original post by History123
I think id go for partner. I'd feel like there was still something missing if i had a perfect career but no partner

I'd personally feel something was missing if I had the perfect partner, but not the perfect career.
Difference in how people feel i suppose. I suppose if youve never had money, you dont miss what you never had
Reply 562
Original post by im so academic
So I need a husband to spur me on/cheer me up/understand me? What the ****?

I'm career-driven and I do not necessarily want success (depends how you define it) and I most definitely do not want money/status.

Career-driven =/= loneliness.

I didn't say that. I said that is what I want. I didn't say it is what you need. Or even what I need for that matter.

I don't understand, your career driven but don't want success. Not very driven really is it.
Certainly not! A 'perfect' partner is not everything, as one would eventually tire of them anyway - certainly not somebody to give up your hopes, plans and dreams for!

I would never dream of doing such a thing! I would try my best to finish all of my plans and attain all dreams etc before embarking on obtaining a perfect mate and conceivinb offspring - this will be last on the agenda so as to have enough resources, wealth, property etc to take care of the future family and secure its future.

A well-planned and successful parent brings up a successful and happy family - not like members of the general public (the 'masses') who either achieve offspring 'by accident' or before securing the family's future. Hence, why there is still a wealth of poverty in the developed world.

Those who desire to raise a family should use the frontal lobes well, in order to plan ahead for the future and secure enough resources and wealth for the future family - this includes, but is not limited to, obtaining a successful and permanent career position, having suitable and stable property (mortgages etc), an abundance of savings, preparing for a future baby's future beforehand etc etc.

We must do away with this primitive evolutionary perspective where we just recklessly spread our 'seed' and achieve many one-night stands etc. It is high time that Modern Humanity plan well for the future and use the new neocortex that enables us to do so!
Original post by Smophy

Original post by Smophy
I didn't say that. I said that is what I want. I didn't say it is what you need. Or even what I need for that matter.

I don't understand, your career driven but don't want success. Not very driven really is it.

Well you define "success" as such a negative term, con notating it with loneliness and therefore depression.

So technically I do not want "success" under your definition.

Why is it so bad to be successful?
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
Ideal future by a mile. What I plan to do is just way too large and global to give it up for another person.[/QUOTE]

Future: Create a global criminal organisation called AKATSUKI.
Plan: to unite the world by casting a powerful genjutsu known as Tsukuyomi on the moon, in order to achieve 'world peace' :p:

Damn, i havent spoken to you in ages.
How you been?

Back to the question, i actually do not know. I do not believe in 'love' or a 'perfect partner'. So i will lean more to the dreams/future prospects, saying that who knows? :dontknow:
Reply 566
wow this is a close one so far.

I'm not voting as I don't have an ideal future/career in my mind, so I could vote for perfect partner. But on the other hand I would love to find an ideal career because it's so frustrating I can't make my mind up. Just like the vote lol.
To state the parameters of this question (as it could be interpreted in different ways):

*Pretend you have not experienced your dream/future/career, i.e. to be an investment banker or to travel around the world. So it is NOT a case of "yeah, when I'll give up my career half-way through". No, it's one or the other.

*Your dream or whatever cannot be finding "true love" or "happiness" or any of that wishy-washy crap. Just definite and specific goals. No emotions included, it has to be an actual goal.

*To reiterate once again, it is a ONE or the OTHER choice. No best of both worlds in this case.

I edited this bit as people are going down the "compromise" route, i.e. they'll take the perfect partner with a not so perfect career. So the situation is changed. NO compromise. It's:

*Perfect partner + ****/no career
*Perfect career + ****/no partner

Also, no exploiting any loopholes.

Thanks. :smile: Interested in your opinions.

I think you'll disown me, but I'll go for perfect partner. Assuming everything really is "perfect", which is of course impossible, I will have respect/companionship/intellectual stimulation/love and ultimately happiness forever. Nothing can beat that. Also, having children and loving them is basically my ultimate dream, so that would top a job for that reason. Human contact and relationships (not just romantic) are more important than career success. You can make happiness outside of your job title.

EDIT: again, just to emphasise I'm taking perfect as perfect. I know that it could never work out like that, there'll be problems/off days/loss of attraction, but this is all theoretcial.
(edited 13 years ago)
Tsukuyomi
Future: Create a global criminal organisation called AKATSUKI.
Plan: to unite the world by casting a powerful genjutsu known as Tsukuyomi on the moon, in order to achieve 'world peace' :p:

Damn, i havent spoken to you in ages.
How you been?

Back to the question, i actually do not know. I do not believe in 'love' or a 'perfect partner'. So i will lean more to the dreams/future prospects, saying that who knows? :dontknow:

Mate I have to be honest. Madara's idea is pretty ****ing smart. Mugen Tsukuyomi, not bad at all - there will be no malice in th world - I don't really disagree with it at all.

Yeah I've fine man, I hope you're up to date with everything :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 569
Well you define "success" as such a negative term, con notating it with loneliness and therefore depression.

So technically I do not want "success" under your definition.

Why is it so bad to be successful?

I haven't said success is a negative thing. I have simply said that success is not what I would want over a partner. I never defined success as being lonely. I understood the idea of this thread is its one or the other. Career or partner. Without a partner I would be lonely and therefore, seeing as though for the purpose of this debate you can't have a perfect partner and you dream career, I would be lonely if I chose my dream career.
Original post by BookWormShanti
I think you'll disown me, but I'll go for perfect partner.

Nothing wrong with that. Actually, just realised your username - really?! :p: As long as you respect other people's choices, that's fine. :yep:

Assuming everything really is "perfect", which is of course impossible, I will have respect/companionship/intellectual stimulation/love and ultimately happiness forever. Nothing can beat that. Also, having children and loving them is basically my ultimate dream, so that would top a job for that reason. Human contact and relationships (not just romantic) are more important than career success. You can make happiness outside of your job title.

I understand. :smile:

EDIT: again, just to emphasise I'm taking perfect as perfect. I know that it could never work out like that, there'll be problems/off days/loss of attraction, but this is all theoretcial.

Ideally, both would be "perfect" really. :p:
Original post by Smophy

Original post by Smophy
I haven't said success is a negative thing. I have simply said that success is not what I would want over a partner. I never defined success as being lonely. I understood the idea of this thread is its one or the other. Career or partner. Without a partner I would be lonely and therefore, seeing as though for the purpose of this debate you can't have a perfect partner and you dream career, I would be lonely if I chose my dream career.

Fair enough. If that's what's best for you, great.

But for me, it's not. :smile:
Reply 572
Fair enough. If that's what's best for you, great.

But for me, it's not. :smile:

So we agree to disagree lol :smile:
Nothing wrong with that. Actually, just realised your username - really?! :p: As long as you respect other people's choices, that's fine. :yep:

I understand. :smile:

Ideally, both would be "perfect" really. :p:

What did you realise about my username? :confused:
No way - Unless he was very rich.
It depends to what extent and under what circumstances I'd have to give it up.

For example, if I had to stop being a barrister (my ideal career) and become a solicitor (my 2nd choice) to get my perfect partner, then it wouldn't be so bad.

Secondly, why should I have to give up my career for my perfect partner? If it were because they didn't want me to to pursue my perfect career - i.e. I were in the army and they were scared I'd be killed/didn't like me going away for X amount of time annually - then no, because they wouldn't be my perfect partner.
My dream is to have a perfect partner.

2 birds with one stone :colonhash:
Reply 577
Original post by shinytoy
haha i love how you phrased this question so all the smart a$ TSRs cant try to say wimpy stuff like
"my true partner would share my dreams with me"
"happiness is my goal and so my dream is a combination/compromise of both"

im 25 and have seen loads of girls at uni with good degrees who were aspiring doctors, barristers, etc give up and take cr@p jobs that dont need a degree, like working in shops or personal training/gym cleaning, just so they can move closer to their current bf and plan their life around spending the most time with him. Also pushing toward 30, the majority of women turn marriage and baby crazy and that is their all absorbing goal in life :rolleyes:

its rubbish. im single and a financial advisor. although i could do with a good sh@g now and again, im cool with being single and grungy

Some people's lives don't revolve around their job and theres nothing wrong with wanting children when your nearly 30, it's a natural desire for most. It's just down to the individual. For me, I wouldn't like to be say 35, alone, no children and have a stressful job but that's just me. I'd rather have a job to pay the bills, and have other people than myself to care for, which I see as more selfless than doing what I want and reaping the benefits for only myself.
Reply 578
Wow, I'm really surprised that perfect partner is winning (on TSR!!!).. although I voted that too.
I imagine that my perfect partner will fit in/ change my ideal future anyway.
Original post by Wilzyy
Wow, I'm really surprised that perfect partner is winning (on TSR!!!).. although I voted that too.
I imagine that my perfect partner will fit in/ change my ideal future anyway.

People aren't as career heavy as they like to think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending