The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
yes
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BenjyK
I probably would, not many find their absolute perfect partner in their lifetime, and the chance to have that is priceless

This. Love lasts beyond death, but you won't be able to take your money with you when you die.
Original post by totallydelirious
If you have to give up your dream for them they're obviously NOT the perfect partner. Surely for someone to be the *Perfect* partner they should help you reliase your dream?

But in all honesty my dream is wishy washy crap; to have kids. i could not be with someone who wouldn't have kids. so, again, they would not be the perfect parter if they didn't want a family.

Why? You have the potential to do something great to this world and you choose the "typical dream". Why?
Original post by grth
You do realise what this is from, right?

House is....arguably one of the best in his profession, fictionally of course. But he still gets love and hot girls.

Best of both worlds. no facepalm necessary.."im so academic"

I do not watch House.
Original post by MostCompetitive

Original post by MostCompetitive
This. Love lasts beyond death, but you won't be able to take your money with you when you die.

But surely if you die, it's irrelevant whether "love lasts beyond death" as you're freakin' dead?!
Reply 645
make your way to the top and buy happiness
Does this perfect partner stay perfect forever? What if I change and the partner who was once perfect no longer seems perfect... Hmm. Perfect future and career.
Reply 647
My career definitely!! because I know I might find someone better...
Original post by disenchant3d
Does this perfect partner stay perfect forever? What if I change and the partner who was once perfect no longer seems perfect... Hmm. Perfect future and career.

Good point, it may feel "lovey-dovey" at first, but gain a sense of perspective! People change. Whereas you have total control of your career.
Original post by im so academic
Good point, it may feel "lovey-dovey" at first, but gain a sense of perspective! People change. Whereas you have total control of your career.

What prompted you to ask this question?
Reply 650
To state the parameters of this question (as it could be interpreted in different ways):

*Pretend you have not experienced your dream/future/career, i.e. to be an investment banker or to travel around the world. So it is NOT a case of "yeah, when I'll give up my career half-way through". No, it's one or the other.

*Your dream or whatever cannot be finding "true love" or "happiness" or any of that wishy-washy crap. Just definite and specific goals. No emotions included, it has to be an actual goal.

*To reiterate once again, it is a ONE or the OTHER choice. No best of both worlds in this case.

I edited this bit as people are going down the "compromise" route, i.e. they'll take the perfect partner with a not so perfect career. So the situation is changed. NO compromise. It's:

*Perfect partner + ****/no career
*Perfect career + ****/no partner

Also, no exploiting any loopholes.

Thanks. :smile: Interested in your opinions.

Its shocking how much this applies to my life atm. its my reality :smile: ive known my perfect partner since i was 16 but we have never got together because we've never been single at the same time or lived within 100 miles of each other for 5 years so never bothered.. (feelings mutual none of this friendzone ****)

But honestly? Perfect "career", my perfect career is my perfect dream..
Original post by disenchant3d
What prompted you to ask this question?

Just a question that interested me. Because I know what I would do, so wanted to listen to other people's opinions. :smile:
Reply 652
Just a question that interested me. Because I know what I would do, so wanted to listen to other people's opinions. :smile:

You didn't answewr my previous question :naughty:

What would your dream future / career be? Or if it's too personal, a vague idea at least?
I'm going into my dream career but i don't think I would give it up. Plus I think i'd have a pretty difficult time keeping a stable relationship while i'm at work unless i'm with someone a bit special :dontknow:
Reply 654
I'm a romantic. I'll give up my dream career in exchange for the perfect partner, yes. I'd prefer to work a job I hate and come back to an unconditionally loving family, than to work a job I love, only to go home to a place I feel lonely and empty.

Unless you add a caveat which says I'm allowed no job at all, in which case it's a slightly more difficult decision. But even then I'd probably choose romance. Lack of money would be stressful, but ultimately you don't need tons of it to be happy, or to give your kids a good start in life.
Reply 655
I'd be screwed either way. Whichever I picked I'd regret it.
Original post by you7me
lol my friends thinks im an idiot because i do realise it! :lol:
i shouldn't be laughin should i(?) ahhh well! i love money! :biggrin:

Who doesn't. It can get you just about anything.
Reply 657
Ideal future. Women just let me down time after time..*sigh*

Original post by Psyk
I'd be screwed either way. Whichever I picked I'd regret it.

Interestingly, you're pretty much the first person to make that judgement.

Surely whatever you pick, you would always think "what if?" with regards to the other option?
Reply 659
Interestingly, you're pretty much the first person to make that judgement.

Surely whatever you pick, you would always think "what if?" with regards to the other option?

Yep. I actually did make a decision along these lines. Not quite as extreme, but it did come down to effectively picking between a relationship or my career. Picking the career was the more sensible option (hadn't been in the relationship very long), but I wonder how things would have turned out if I picked the other option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending