The Student Room Group

Am I being jealous, or do I have reason to be angry at my friend's offer?

Scroll to see replies

No offence OP but based on this post I wouldn't want a person like you at my medical school. The competitive element is bad enough already with the ranking and all but someone like you adding to it by hating people who get lucky and who have some kind of natural ability, I wouldn't want that.

No, you don't have a reason to be angry at anyone except either the system, or yourself. How can it be your friend's fault that he applied to something he wanted and was lucky enough to get an offer? It looks like he was pretty determined as well because he left out his 5th choice, whereas you seemed to be happy applying to 2 biomeds rather than truly maximising your chances of achieving your dream??
Reply 61
Original post by Seasick Steve
Based on what everyone else has said, probably just a cocky dumbarse. I was anything but confident, otherwise I would have chosen another medicine option, confident that at least one of them would result in an interview.

Sorry for wasting your time.

If you truly believe that you deserve a place and you have decent grades to back it up reapply.

Take a gap year, get a job as an HCA (what you learn from it and how you reflect on it in the ps is totally up to you), sit the UKCAT and chose your places realistically

that is, if you dont have more than 9 A*s at gcse dont apply to birmingham; if you dont achieve above 690-700 on the UKCAT I wouldnt apply to newcastle, sheffield, kings etc

southampton & bristol are really hard schools to get into (mainly due to the unpredictability of southampton, not too sure about bristol except an insane competition)

trust me if you know at this stage that you want to do medicine dont go through the GEM route (as its even more competitive and the government might remove the funding for years 2-4), because you really need a burning desire to do medicine if you attempt this route

All the best, PS dont be angry at your friend and learn from your mistake
Original post by Ligamentia
If you truly believe that you deserve a place and you have decent grades to back it up reapply.

Take a gap year, get a job as an HCA (what you learn from it and how you reflect on it in the ps is totally up to you), sit the UKCAT and chose your places realistically

that is, if you dont have more than 9 A*s at gcse dont apply to birmingham; if you dont achieve above 690-700 on the UKCAT I wouldnt apply to newcastle, sheffield, kings etc

southampton & bristol are really hard schools to get into (mainly due to the unpredictability of southampton, not too sure about bristol except an insane competition)

trust me if you know at this stage that you want to do medicine dont go through the GEM route (as its even more competitive and the government might remove the funding for years 2-4), because you really need a burning desire to do medicine if you attempt this route

All the best, PS dont be angry at your friend and learn from your mistake

You're not wrong, thanks for your suggestions. All it took were a few drinks Firday night to make me see that it's my fault alone for not doing enough to get an interview. I think I've wallowed in self-pity long enough now, I'll grow up a bit from now on :redface:

:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending