The Student Room Group

Friendship Dilemma - Holidays

Hi everyone. I have a major dilemma at the moment and wondered if any of you could help! So basically I have a best friend of around 13 years. She is more me than I am and we are so incredibly close, I love her to pieces. Myself and my best friend have been wanting to go on holiday together for a long time but for various financial reasons and not being able to find a common time, we keep putting it off. Just to note, we both really want this holiday and it’s not that one of us wants it more than the other.

Anyway, I have another friend, let’s call her friend B, who my best friend doesn’t really know that well. Friend B has been asking me to go on a trip with her for a long time as well and I was more than happy to oblige. So we have booked a trip together for 2 weeks time. Financially, we could both manage this and could both get the same time off. This is all very well and I am looking forward to it, but I haven’t let my best friend know yet. I am terrified that she will be upset/angry/jealous that I have managed to go on holiday with someone else when we’ve been trying to plan one ourselves for ages. I tell my best friend everything, and I am wracking myself with guilt for not letting her know straightaway. I am determined to tell her but I just don’t know how to phrase it without it sounding like I have chosen someone else over her. I also don’t want to keep it from her entirely in case she finds out on social media because that would be worse.

I really don’t know if I’m overthinking this but it is keeping me up at night and I feel like I can’t be myself around my friend because of this looming over me. Does anyone think that I’m in the wrong here? And does anyone have any advice about how to phrase it without it sounding like I’ve completely dismissed my best friend? What would you do in my situation? Thank you so much in advance x
Reply 1
Don't understand why this is such a big deal! Do you have to announce everything major you are doing to Friend A? Have you had problems with her before when you do things with your other friends? You just tell her you're going on holiday for a couple of weeks. It really is that simple. If she makes a drama of it she's not a friend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending