The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by undermyskin
I think it really does depend on the person, if you do not have a career aim before the perfect partner comes along then you would know no different. I found a job I liked early on and progressed so far but the relationship I was in was restricting me and holding me back, I always resented not being able to do things because I felt it would break the loyalty of the relationship. On hindsight I realise the perfect partner accepts me and my ambitions regardless of when they occur.

Exactly! I think the only reason that someone would ask you to sacrifice your goals and/or career would be if they had the oppurtunity to take a really reallygood job that could substantially change both your lives, or maybe if a family member was sick or something and they needed to move to be closer to look after them. If someone asks you to give something up because they don't like it or whatever then that person should jog on :smile:
Reply 801
I can't believe this is on 41 pages...
Reply 802
Nope.
Original post by archlord destin
Because I want a wife and kids.
Honestly, I dont care what my job is, where we live or any of that stuff.
So long as they are waiting for me when I get home.

But specifically why do you want a wife and kids?

Have you ever thought about the possibility that you could be widowed early or your kids may become estranged from you?

Although unlikely, what would you have in the world at that point?
Original post by stoney
Agree totally. Interesting to hear the replies but I think a lot of people here are a little immature as is pointed out above. I did well at school, used to think I'd grow up, be really successful etc. I did got into my chosen career and I work hard but you realise as you get older you're just a face and success is quite shallow: no one really cares about 'your career' because guess what ... they're too busy caring about their own and themselves just like you (ironic that people would probably see that were they not so me me me all the time).

So I'm going to base my life on what others think? I really couldn't care less if they didn't give a **** about "my career".

As long as I care, I'm happy.

The only people that will want to hear about it will, largely, be machiavellian scum bags in an office trying to kiss your arse to ride on your success just like you did to get where you got and as such they will have no real care, respect or even like for you. You'll still get told to **** off by random chavs, you'll still go home every night and moreover you'll wonder why you're throwing every hour god sends after money you'll have no time to spend.

People do careers that isn't for the money?
Lol "no time to spend" - you are joking with that statement right?

Also agree with a previous post from NeonSkies: being alone all the time sounds like my idea of hell too. I'm single and have never been in love but give me a loving wife any day! People today are every bit as guilty of falsely romanticising careers as the people they criticise for falsely romanticising marriage/kids/love. Love and family are cornerstones of our society and when you give up on love, human fraternity and that unique warm affection in the name of a career, well, it all seems a shame to me.

Yeah, to you, but not to me.
Original post by limetang
True but generally a career is a means to survive as opposed to a reason to survive.

Generally, but not always.
Original post by hippieglitter
It may not matter to some people but to me, I could have a great successful career but if I was celebrating those successes on my own and going home every night to an empty flat and having loads of money in the bank with no one but myself to spend it on I would continue to be a very unhappy person.

Well I wouldn't. You may call it an empty flat, but I see it as alone time with my thoughts. I.e. reflection.

I'm not saying success won't happen if you don't have someone to share it with, as you said it will happen, but at least in my case and I can't be alone in this, success alone can't make you happy. If I have success at work or anywhere I like to come home and tell my bf all about it and have him give me kiss and tell me well done. In my opinion there would be little point in having success if I didn't have someone waiting at home to tell my success too.

I'm not doing my career so I can "tell my "bf" about it and receive affection". Success is success, irrespective of whether you can "share" it or not.

You must have seen the films where a woman has an amazingly successful career, and seems really happy then you see her go home to a dark empty flat, draining a bottle of wine and watching **** tv on her own, and you realise she is not very happy at all.

And what are they? Oh right, films. They are fiction and therefore not real.

Soon you'll be telling me that Disney's Snow White is real. :rolleyes:
Original post by Cicerao
The same that happens when your kids have done all the "milestones" - you are just happy in the fairly constant state that you are. Things aren't the same every day, there are new challenges in both from day to day.

Just to mention that I selected partner too, but I can see the appeal of career.

Yep I see your point don't worry :smile: If it wasn't a relationship I would bet my life on as in I trusted it work out, I would choose career.
Love makes you do stupid things, so perfect partner I guess.
Perfect partner because I'd rather have a rubbish job but still have someone to share my life with. I don't want to be lonely forever :erm:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by limetang
True but generally a career is a means to survive as opposed to a reason to survive.

Couldn't it be argued that if it is a person's ideal future/career, that their main reason is not monetary gain?
Original post by steph_anie_x
Love makes you do stupid things, so perfect partner I guess.

So in order words, you're freely admitting that you're stupid?
Original post by Emmie3303
Perfect partner because I'd rather have a rubbish job but still have someone to share my life with. I don't want to be lonely forever :erm:

Who's to say you'd be lonely if you had a husband?

Surely you'd be lonely if you were a housewife, your husband is at work and your kids are at school...

The single life: the freedom to do what you want, meet new people each day, travel all over - so how on earth would you not get lonely if you were single?
the tension in this poll is killingggg me.
Original post by im so academic
So in order words, you're freely admitting that you're stupid?

Well it would be a stupid thing to do, throwing your future away for a guy, but I still think I'd do it if I loved them- its a strong emotion that sometimes doesn't let you see things clearly.

Well it would be a stupid thing to do, throwing your future away for a guy, but I still think I'd do it if I loved them- its a strong emotion that sometimes doesn't let you see things clearly.

Why do that?

I thought humans were getting more intelligent and more rational.

Evidently not.

It's even worse as you KNOW people do stupid things when blinded by emotions - yet still do it anyway. Where's the logic in that?

Or is it acceptable because everyone else is doing it?
Who's to say you'd be lonely if you had a husband?

Surely you'd be lonely if you were a housewife, your husband is at work and your kids are at school...

The single life: the freedom to do what you want, meet new people each day, travel all over - so how on earth would you not get lonely if you were single?

There are different kinds of lonely. Platonic love with friends will never be enough for me; I can't imagine never making that connection that will lead to marriage. I imagine the single life would wear very thin after a while. Yes, you get to have wonderful experiences and travel, but surely it would be better to travel somewhere a little less exotic with the person you love? It's each to their own really, as many people would probably prefer to have a catalogue of experiences even if they didn't get to share them with someone :smile:.

I think I'm just a hopeless romantic :grin:. I've been watching too many Austen adaptations lately (Rupert Penry Jones as Wentworth :love:. Okay, I'll shut up before this goes wayyyyy off topic :colondollar:)
Original post by Emmie3303
There are different kinds of lonely.

What's wrong with a bit of alone time? (No innuendo intended). You make it sound so bad.

Platonic love with friends will never be enough for me; I can't imagine never making that connection that will lead to marriage.

Why do you feel marriage is the be all and end all? Is it because society tells you that?

I imagine the single life would wear very thin after a while.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Same could apply to the married life!

Yes, you get to have wonderful experiences and travel, but surely it would be better to travel somewhere a little less exotic with the person you love?

No. What if I want to go to an exotic place and my partner doesn't? What if he doesn't like the places I want to go to? What if he's working?

What difference would it make? Surely it would reduce my freedom travelling, i.e. meeting new people?

**** "love". It's not the be all and end all.
Reply 818
Why do that?

I thought humans were getting more intelligent and more rational.

Evidently not.

It's even worse as you KNOW people do stupid things when blinded by emotions - yet still do it anyway. Where's the logic in that?

Or is it acceptable because everyone else is doing it?

Erm... because people live their lives to maximise their happiness in some way in the future. For a lot of people, having a loving partner gives you more happiness and satisfaction than having a good future. I don't see why that's so difficult to understand?

I know you're not saying for whatever reason, but I find it hard to see what "normal" job can be so great and satisfying to be better than a loving partner for the rest of your life. I could understand if it was something people were genuinely passionate about and would do for fun e.g. music, acting, sport, but because you're not saying it's impossible to judge. I'm not sure why you're so incredulous at people picking a perfect partner.
Original post by n1r4v
Erm... because people live their lives to maximise their happiness in some way in the future. For a lot of people, having a loving partner gives you more happiness and satisfaction than having a good future. I don't see why that's so difficult to understand?

What's difficult to understand is when people say that "life is all about love/family/relationships" and expect OTHERS to live their way of life.

I know you're not saying for whatever reason, but I find it hard to see what "normal" job can be so great and satisfying to be better than a loving partner for the rest of your life.

Point in case. I fail to see the big deal with a family really.

I could understand if it was something people were genuinely passionate about and would do for fun e.g. music, acting, sport, but because you're not saying it's impossible to judge.

Is it necessary for me to tell? Why should I make people judge my choice in life? I'm not interested in that.

I'm not sure why you're so incredulous at people picking a perfect partner.

Just curious as to why. It seems people are only choosing that because society tells them to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending