The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Salazar

Original post by Salazar
But this is my fantasy!

What if I get fired from my dream job?

People don't get fired for no reason.
Reply 901
Yes.

My aunt had to become a full-time carer after my uncle got diagnosed with MS. I hope that I'd be able to show that kind of devotion.
Reply 902
Original post by im so academic
People don't get fired for no reason.

Is this a thinly veiled attack questioning my workplace competence?

OH YOU
Original post by Muffinz
Yes.

My aunt had to become a full-time carer after my uncle got diagnosed with MS. I hope that I'd be able to show that kind of devotion.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to spend my whole life being a full-time carer.
Original post by Kiirk

Original post by Kiirk
Unpredictable natural disaster wipes out the company.

Oh please.

It's more likely for your perfect partner to die "early".
Reply 905
On the other hand, I wouldn't want to spend my whole life being a full-time carer.

Sometimes things don't go the way you want them to. I'd rather care for someone who makes me endlessly happy, as the perfect partner would, than leave them to rot in a hospital ward somewhere because I walked out.
Original post by Salazar
Is this a thinly veiled attack questioning my workplace competence?

OH YOU

Rather you subtly admitting that you're too incompetent to be able to stay in your dream job.
Why?

Because I'd rather have a large amount of wealth then have a ideal partner, Money is a strong cologne anyway.
Original post by Muffinz
Sometimes things don't go the way you want them to. I'd rather care for someone who makes me endlessly happy, as the perfect partner would, than leave them to rot in a hospital ward somewhere because I walked out.

I'd rather avoid that situation by focusing on my career.
Reply 909
I would want to give up everything in this world for that person.
I would choose perfect partner solely because I cannot pursue my intended career path, study the subject I want, achieve the dreams I have anyways... So I think I would rather have some good in my life..
Reply 911
I'd rather avoid that situation by focusing on my career.

I'd rather not work a 9-5, come home to an empty house and watch tv until I sleep and wake up to the next inevitable day of paperwork-filled monotony.
Original post by Kiirk
On a thread where you get the choice between your perfect partner or your perfect career? Pfft

So by that reasoning, one would never get fired from their dream job.
Original post by Muffinz
I'd rather not work a 9-5, come home to an empty house and watch tv until I sleep and wake up to the next inevitable day of paperwork-filled monotony.

So your dream career is "working 9-5" and doing "papework-filled monotony"?

You're hardly ambitious, are you?
Reply 914
So your dream career is "working 9-5" and doing "papework-filled monotony"?

You're hardly ambitious, are you?

I want enough money to live comfortably. That's the extent of my aspirations now because I'm simply too young to know what I want to do as a career. I do, however, know that I want to have the most wonderful person with me.

I'm a realist. Work is never fun. Playing videogames with your boyfriend is fun. You only get one life, and it's very fleeting. I'd rather spend it playing games with the boyf.
Original post by Muffinz
I want enough money to live comfortably. That's the extent of my aspirations now because I'm simply too young to know what I want to do as a career. I do, however, know that I want to have the most wonderful person with me.

I'm a realist. Work is never fun. Playing videogames with your boyfriend is fun. You only get one life, and it's very fleeting. I'd rather spend it playing games with the boyf.

I'm younger than you, and I know my aspirations. Don't blame your age, hun.

"Work is never fun"? In your opinion. If you want a job that's boring, of course it will "never [be] fun".

Yeah, we only get one life. If I want to spend that life working, who are you to tell me it's fleeting or not?

I'd consider a life playing games with the boyfriend (euphemism?) very "fleeting".
My future, with money and success I would be able to buy all sorts of awesome things...like...love.

If I can't buy love, who cares; expensive Russian hookers still do it for me anyday.
Reply 917
It's easier to say 'no, I wouldn't compromise my dreams' than it is to actually go through with that I think, but I'd like to think that I wouldn't have to because there's so much I want to do!
Nope, youre' life, not theirs. :P
Reply 919
I'm younger than you, and I know my aspirations. Don't blame your age, hun.

"Work is never fun"? In your opinion. If you want a job that's boring, of course it will "never [be] fun".

Yeah, we only get one life. If I want to spend that life working, who are you to tell me it's fleeting or not?

I'd consider a life playing games with the boyfriend (euphemism?) very "fleeting".

Some people know exactly what they want to do from a young age - frankly I'm envious and it would give me some direction. I'm weighing up four or more options for what to do after my degree - I'd rather have some idea of the best one!

It isn't fun. I've had three jobs by now. None of them have been fun. The work experience I did, which comprised of about 4 diff jobs, wasn't fun.

You can spend your life working if you're happy with it - that's your choice. I'm not bashing you for it, love! You made a thread asking my opinion and I stated it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending