The Student Room Group

Are they going to fire me!!

Scroll to see replies

If you got sacked for that it would be daft, I had a mate who got sacked for using some write off deodrant once though so who knows
well i work in a food shop, we have to put lots of fresh baked bread in the bin at the end of the day, i would get fired if i took one of those rolls going into the bin, same with yogurts i drop on the floor- i would likey get fired if i took them too, in the employers eyes you took something that wasn't yours, stolen it (even if it was a few sweets), and thus you have been dishonest to them (they may see it that you've stolen some sweets and your likely to steal more).
The best thing you can do is tell the truth, apologise and offer to pay for the packet of sweets.
Reply 42
Original post by aleathiel

That was slyly lame, just saying.
Original post by Leighthesim
well i work in a food shop, we have to put lots of fresh baked bread in the bin at the end of the day, i would get fired if i took one of those rolls going into the bin, same with yogurts i drop on the floor- i would likey get fired if i took them too, in the employers eyes you took something that wasn't yours, stolen it (even if it was a few sweets), and thus you have been dishonest to them (they may see it that you've stolen some sweets and your likely to steal more).
The best thing you can do is tell the truth, apologise and offer to pay for the packet of sweets.

will they make the decision based on what I say in the disciplinary hearing or do you think it is made before then?
Reply 44
Original post by needsomehelp121
will they make the decision based on what I say in the disciplinary hearing or do you think it is made before then?

the hearing might just be a formality, considering what you've done is gross misconduct and they've suspended you, doesn't look good. They migh have a no tolerance policy to sack staff who steal. Anyway, good luck!
Reply 45

the point of a disciplinary hearing is so that they can present you with what they know of the case and give you a chance to present your case and answer any questions they may have. if they'd already made their decision then they wouldn't bother with a hearing as that would just be a waste of their time.

(i know this because something happened to a friend of mine at her work and she talked to a union rep etc..)

i'd recommend that you write down everything you want to say as when you're under pressure/nervous you may forget something as simple as to state that you would never intentionally steal. the only thing you can do is be honest and hope that they see it as a genuine mistake and let it go. best of luck :smile:
Original post by Nayberay
That was slyly lame, just saying.

:smile:
Reply 47
this is a joke, but its their property so theft is theft :/

were you under the impression they were for all to share or did you know they were write offs?

also are you part of the union?
Buy the (ex)owner a packet of sweets and present it to them, in a really over the top, dramatic way.
Original post by mosmof
this is a joke, but its their property so theft is theft :/

were you under the impression they were for all to share or did you know they were write offs?

also are you part of the union?

I knew they were write offs but I did also think we were all allowed to have it as others were eating it and I honestly thought that they wont give a **** if they see me on the cameras taking a sweet.
But I probably wouldnt have taken any if others werent, even though they were open.
and no, Im not :frown: I recently turned 18 so I dont know much about unions. what can I do if im not part of a union?
Reply 50
Wait, there are sweets in a high-street FASHION shop? :lolwut:
Original post by c0nfus3d
Wait, there are sweets in a high-street FASHION shop? :lolwut:

Yes, we sell gifts including sweets. Even though its a fashion shop, they sell other little things that they put by the tills.

So am I going to get fired? :frown:
Original post by Cszb44
the point of a disciplinary hearing is so that they can present you with what they know of the case and give you a chance to present your case and answer any questions they may have. if they'd already made their decision then they wouldn't bother with a hearing as that would just be a waste of their time.

(i know this because something happened to a friend of mine at her work and she talked to a union rep etc..)

i'd recommend that you write down everything you want to say as when you're under pressure/nervous you may forget something as simple as to state that you would never intentionally steal. the only thing you can do is be honest and hope that they see it as a genuine mistake and let it go. best of luck :smile:

Thank you! Do you think bringing someone with me will help or make no difference?
Reply 53
Yes, we sell gifts including sweets. Even though its a fashion shop, they sell other little things that they put by the tills.

So am I going to get fired? :frown:

:albertein: No idea

:couchpotato:

:kiss: All the best

:ninjagirl: Still don't know
My friend got fired for eating a chocolate bar.
Reply 55
Thank you! Do you think bringing someone with me will help or make no difference?

I would say it's a good idea as not only will it help you as you'll feel like you have someone on your side and may not feel as ganged up on and i doubt they'd suggest it if they didn't think it was worthwhile..

i also think it's best not to jump to conclusions about anything yet in terms of whether you'll lose your job or not, there's no point wasting energy worrying, what'll happen will happen, no matter how much worrying you do.. try to concentrate on other things and keep busy and hope for the best :smile:
Reply 56
I knew they were write offs but I did also think we were all allowed to have it as others were eating it and I honestly thought that they wont give a **** if they see me on the cameras taking a sweet.
But I probably wouldnt have taken any if others werent, even though they were open.
and no, Im not :frown: I recently turned 18 so I dont know much about unions. what can I do if im not part of a union?

okay.

the union is your legal support, i would of been jobless a while ago if it wasnt for the union. you can join it now, but your meeting is saturday so thats no good.

see how it goes mate, the meeting is called usdaw for shop workers btw
Original post by mosmof
okay.

the union is your legal support, i would of been jobless a while ago if it wasnt for the union. you can join it now, but your meeting is saturday so thats no good.

see how it goes mate, the meeting is called usdaw for shop workers btw

What happened in your situation? What kind of stuff did ur union person say to stop you getting fired?
Reply 58
Original post by Leighthesim

I think it depends on the manager tbh. When I worked in Greggs we would all take loads of food at the end of the day, our manager was fine with it :teehee: I didn't realise it was so bad till I read this thread...
Original post by ily_em
I think it depends on the manager tbh. When I worked in Greggs we would all take loads of food at the end of the day, our manager was fine with it :teehee: I didn't realise it was so bad till I read this thread...

Who makes the decision? On my letter is says the name of a woman Ive never heard of and she is going to be there doing the disciplinary..

Im going to make all these points.

-I didnt realise or think I was stealing at the time, it was a genuine mistake
-because it was just sweets, I didnt think much. I just thought no one would care if I have them becaus they were just sweets.
-If they werent open, I wouldnt have had them
-If half of them werent eaten I wouldnt have had them but because it was nearly finished, I thought lots of people must be eating these.
- If they were in the write off box, I wouldnt have taken them but they were on the cabinet.
-I genuinely made a mistake and my intention was not to steal, like I know theres cameras here and Ive worked here for nearly a year; If I thought Id get fired for taking that sweet, I honeslty wouldnt have taken it.
- I work in the stockroom, if I wanted to steal, dont you think Id have been caught taking something.
-I honestly, really and truly didnt think I was stealing at the time but I know there is no way I can prove that to you.

Can you guys add anything else I can say? And tell me if its worth not saying some of these points. LIke, does any of this sound stupid to say?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending