The Student Room Group

Violent anti-cuts protesters are hypocrites

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by wilson_smith
It's the most marginal of costs, and prolonged activism is one of the few means of influecing public policy.

Yeah it influences it the wrong way. The student protests ruined any chance of anything changing or anyone listing to them
How the bloody hell can you claim they are violent when it hasn't even started yet!

Also, I seriously doubt we will see a repeat of the student protests. This time there are families, parents, nurses etc etc going. Hell, my girlfriends mother is going and she wouldn't hurt a fly.

If violence does happen it will be from two groups:
1 - violent anarchist groups who shouldn't be there in the first place
2 - the police.

Original post by uktotalgamer
What are people protesting against?

They are protesting because they are worried about losing their jobs, and their futures being wrecked.
Reply 22
The protests are so wide and vague that I don't understand what they're for. What's their alternative - raise taxes? I don't think we'll be seeing any banners saying "Raise my taxes and raise them now!" Some of the people going just strike me as left wing people who still can't accept that Labour are out of power. Where were all these protests when private sector jobs were being cut left and right? Nobody said a word when the country was being bankrupt several years ago. The protests strike me as little more than a good old anti-Conservative demonstration from public sector workers.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Archaos
The protests are so wide and vague that I don't understand what they're for. What's their alternative - raise taxes? I don't think we'll be seeing any banners saying "Raise my taxes and raise them now!" Some of the people going just strike me as left wing people who still can't accept that Labour are out of power. Where were all these protests when private sector jobs were being cut left and right? Nobody said a word when the country was being bankrupt several years ago. The protests strike me as little more than a good old anti-Conservative demonstration from public sector workers.

This is not about party politics. The only reason the anger is directed at the conservatives (and the lib dems) is because they are making the cuts. The would happen if labour were doing it.
This is about people who are worried about their jobs and their futures.
Reply 24
Original post by WelshBluebird
This is not about party politics. The only reason the anger is directed at the conservatives (and the lib dems) is because they are making the cuts. The would happen if labour were doing it.
This is about people who are worried about their jobs and their futures.

I highly, highly doubt this. The unions and the public sector workers would never demonstrate against Labour - they're virtually the same beast.
Sweet, another post making tenuous links between things on contentious topics.

I'm, like, so ****ing titillated.
Reply 26
Original post by Archaos
I highly, highly doubt this. The unions and the public sector workers would never demonstrate against Labour - they're virtually the same beast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_Discontent
Original post by Aexis
Money out of the public purse that could go towards jobs and the like will now be redirected towards a massive police presence and the cost of repairing damage, and other less prominent expenses.

The types that will be protesting seem to claim that they are on the side of the taxpayer and the working man, yet it is these groups who will have to pay for their (inevitable) damage.

And what for? Do they honestly believe that, even if they destroy every building in Whitehall, that the government will change their position and we won't face cuts?

This. This. This.

13 years of Labour damage. They inherited a good economy and managed to destroy it.

Something has to be done.

Original post by Teveth
A couple of million pounds in a budget of £700 BILLION is very much marginal. It's not hypocritical because those who are protesting will consider it £x Million well spent. Are you suggesting that those of us who oppose the cuts also must oppose protesting, too?

Bizarre.

Every penny counts in order to reduce the deficit. Furthermore, it would be wasting police time on more serious crimes being committed so they can concentrate a few hypocritical hippies.
Original post by Archaos

I disagree.
If Labour were cutting loads of public sector jobs, then the people who's jobs were on the line would indeed be demonstrating.

The people marching today aren't just Labour supporters. They are Lib Dem supports, and dare I say it, probably some Tories too.
People are worried about their jobs and their futures. Political allegiances don't come into this (the unions are a different matter though).

edit - I am glad someone has pointed out the winter of discontent
Reply 29
Original post by Aj12
Yeah it influences it the wrong way. The student protests ruined any chance of anything changing or anyone listing to them

Only because of the heavily biased media coverage. If they were reporting on a foreign country they would have highlighted the brutality of the police, but when it happens in London then it's all the protestors own fault when they get battered.

Also bear in mind that the police have undercover infiltrators in the groups who want to cause trouble, they actively encourage it because it gives them the excuse to clamp down on protests in general.

Millbank was the perfect example of this. They had a very small police presence claiming a lack of intelligence meant they couldn't prevent the damage to the buildings, though funnily enough the TV cameras just happened to be right there filming it. And the police van left conveniently parked in the middle of the road unattended, they lied about that saying terrified police were trapped inside which later turned out to be an absolute lie.
Reply 30
Original post by Aexis
Money out of the public purse that could go towards jobs and the like will now be redirected towards a massive police presence and the cost of repairing damage, and other less prominent expenses.

The types that will be protesting seem to claim that they are on the side of the taxpayer and the working man, yet it is these groups who will have to pay for their (inevitable) damage.

And what for? Do they honestly believe that, even if they destroy every building in Whitehall, that the government will change their position and we won't face cuts?

Idiot. Look at the crowds that are gathering- they're ordinary people who are fearful for their jobs, their services, their communities, the country at large. Painting them all as violent extremists is a nonsense designed to discredit the march and its aims before it's even begun. It's pathetic.
Reply 31
Original post by garethDT
Millbank was the perfect example of this. They had a very small police presence claiming a lack of intelligence meant they couldn't prevent the damage to the buildings, though funnily enough the TV cameras just happened to be right there filming it. And the police van left conveniently parked in the middle of the road unattended, they lied about that saying terrified police were trapped inside which later turned out to be an absolute lie.

They're doing similar again, see here:

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2011/03/asking-for-trouble-paving-slabs-left-outside-treasury-on-eve-of-protest/
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by The_Male_Melons
This. This. This.

13 years of Labour damage. They inherited a good economy and managed to destroy it.

Something has to be done.

Every penny counts in order to reduce the deficit. Furthermore, it would be wasting police time on more serious crimes being committed so they can concentrate a few hypocritical hippies.

The Police are *****, they love these protests, they are a tool of the politicians and instigate violence for the purpose of dis-crediting the protesters.
Original post by Get Real
The Police are *****, they love these protests, they are a tool of the politicians and instigate violence for the purpose of dis-crediting the protesters.

Really? The police are there to their job. There are serious crimes- they could concentrate on but instead their focus is shifted, sadly, to bunch of hypocrites.

Tools of politicians, instigate violence, discrediting protestors- do you believe in Lizard men?
Reply 34
Original post by garethDT
Only because of the heavily biased media coverage. If they were reporting on a foreign country they would have highlighted the brutality of the police, but when it happens in London then it's all the protestors own fault when they get battered.

Also bear in mind that the police have undercover infiltrators in the groups who want to cause trouble, they actively encourage it because it gives them the excuse to clamp down on protests in general.

:facepalm2: I stopped reading here. I know enough people in the police to know that this is complete BS
Reply 35
Original post by Aj12
:facepalm2: I stopped reading here. I know enough people in the police to know that this is complete BS

Wrong.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/8262746/Mark-Kennedy-15-other-undercover-police-infiltrated-green-movement.html
Reply 36
Original post by Aj12

You're incredibly naive.
Reply 37

The green movement. Not the student protests.You said they infiltrate to cause trouble in protests.

Plus that guy had massive issues. He got pulled out of cover yet still tried to stay in the group for a year and a half.
Reply 38
Original post by creak
You're incredibly naive.

Sure I am.
Reply 39
Original post by Aj12
The green movement. Not the student protests.You said they infiltrate to cause trouble in protests.

Plus that guy had massive issues. He got pulled out of cover yet still tried to stay in the group for a year and a half.

Oh yes I'm sure that was an isolated incident and they would never dream of infiltrating anarchist groups:rolleyes:

... and you wonder why people call you naive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending